Any single Moms who choose to stay home or work part time? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2011, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have worked part time for some of the time since I've been a single mother, but have mostly been a part time student and not working. We are not able to do the things other working families do, like go on proper holidays and big outings and lunches out etc, but the cost of that is HUGELy outweighed for me by being able to be with my son, pick him up every day from preschool and being able to be there in the school holidays - we've had a fantastic time,. It's been hard at times and I've often, often questioned my decision, but most of the time I feel good about it. I plan to work part time from when he starts proper school. I'm fortunate enough to have state-paid preschool and good child support (he now pays more than the government requirement), and I receive state benefits (welfare). I'm only a small amount above the technical government determined 'poverty' line, but to be honest I rarely feel poor. I think it's a state of mind. I'd been used to being frugal before that anyway from living with a drinking alcoholic who used up what little spending money we had, so now I feel rich in comparison - I can do the things in life that are really important to me, like taking my son camping, and big expensive holidays aren't important to me. Of course I'd love to be able to save and it hurts sometimes to have to say no to him so often when he asks for toys or treats, but I still think he benefits more by being with me nearly full time. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I am a single mom who works part time.  I started out working full time as a customer service representative in a local call center and since I've been there long enough now, i have been able to get a part time shift which is 10 hour days, 3 days a week.  I honestly don't know what to do with my time now!  It's only been a month and I'm working on getting into a rhythm with my 4 yr old.  I'm even more strapped for cash now than I was before, but it's worth it to be able to spend more time with my daughter.  I am blessed to have the option to do this though.  I don't have many expenses at the moment and it has never been hard for me to find joy in living simply.  I don't want or need a lot.  So it works.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:07 AM

I work part time and am a single mom to two kids. I clean houses which is full time pay on part time hours and I hope to get more houses now that kids are in school. Money is tight so I got a job part time at a gas station. Just 15 hours a week... which I am struggling with because the hours are not what I thought they would be. I get a decent sum of child support a month as xh has a great job( 900 a month) tho our house rent is 650 so that eats it up. We live very simply but hoping to get a few more houses to clean.  I reccomend house cleaning for anyone!!!  I am not a great housekeeper but did learn how to do it to make money to support us.  I generally get 50 a house in my area and it takes me about 3 hours to clean.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

Old 09-19-2011, 07:45 PM

I used to be a SAHM...but once I finish school, I will have to work full-time. I cannot stay where i am now, and will have to work full-time in order to support my boys. stbx is out of the picture and cannot have any contact with the boys. So no child support either. I dont want my youngest to have to go to daycare...but I have no choice. I feel horrible.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:39 PM

I work from home. My situation is unique b/c I work for my family's business (so the job I do probably wouldn't exist elsewhere) and I live with my mom (living here so STBX could go to school & we'd have reduced rent). If I had to pay rent, I could *probably* do it if the kids & I were in a 1 bedroom or studio or something...and we gave up all the extras.

If my family ever sells their business (which, considering the economy, isn't likely to happen for awhile), I would be in a bad place. I homeschool both my girls and they've never been in any kind of daycare. But I know that if I had to find a new job, I'd still look for something that allowed me to homeschool & be with my kids.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:07 PM

deleted

User Tag List