Single moms and potty training boys - Mothering Forums

Single moms and potty training boys

MittensKittens's Avatar MittensKittens (TS)
05:10 AM Liked: 71
#1 of 15
05-05-2010 | Posts: 2,960
My son is currently taking the first steps in potty learning. He knows when he has to go, and goes towards the potty. I try to sit him down on there, but I have noticed that he gets off and stands up, when he wants to pee. Looks like peeing while standing up really is something genetic for boys, rather than just a preference. My little boy (18 months) has peed next to the potty so many times in the last few days....

I always said that mothers can do anything except teach sons to stand up peeing. Now it looks like they don't need to be taught, they just do it. Now, if he could get his aim right...
MsChatsAlot's Avatar MsChatsAlot
10:41 AM Liked: 19
#2 of 15
05-05-2010 | Posts: 4,962
If you can figure out the magic to get them to aim right, you'll become a millionaire! Peeing standing up was never an issue here...but getting them to get it in that 'huge' hole in the toilet every time...one would think it would be easier.
PoppyMama's Avatar PoppyMama
10:56 AM Liked: 72
#3 of 15
05-05-2010 | Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChatsAlot View Post
If you can figure out the magic to get them to aim right, you'll become a millionaire!
I taught my ds to pee standing up when he was 2.5, it seemed like all the little boys with single moms peed sitting down and i didnt want him to have that difference. I would stand/kneel behind him and help him hold his penis and aim. It took a couple of months but he got it down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rosehip's Avatar Rosehip
11:46 AM Liked: 7
#4 of 15
05-05-2010 | Posts: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyMama View Post
I taught my ds to pee standing up when he was 2.5, it seemed like all the little boys with single moms peed sitting down and i didnt want him to have that difference. I would stand/kneel behind him and help him hold his penis and aim. It took a couple of months but he got it down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Is this really a boys with single moms thing? I have no idea how the other boys pee, but I went for sitting down b/c of the mess factor...do you think it's a big deal for them?
RollerCoasterMama's Avatar RollerCoasterMama
11:53 AM Liked: 35335
#5 of 15
05-05-2010 | Posts: 5,399
I'm newly single and STBX actively participated in the potty training. We both taught him to sit down to pee. His preschool did the same thing. He's tried standing up a few times, but it truly wasn't an instinct. It was because we'd let him observe STBX a couple of times and he'd seen one of the older boys in his school. He can do it both ways, but usually just sits down. Standing up is still a novelty.

I don't think sitting down is typically a single-mom thing. We did it that way because that was the simplest. His dad is plenty involved in the potty training and he agreed knowing that at some point, we'd evolve to standing up.
Avani's Avatar Avani
12:00 PM Liked: 421
#6 of 15
05-05-2010 | Posts: 2,838
Both my boys potty trained around 1.5 years old and were way too short to be able to stand and aim. I taught them to sit and when they were old enough to be able to reach the potty they naturally started to stand and pee instead.
03:01 PM Liked: 72
#7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosehip View Post
Is this really a boys with single moms thing? I have no idea how the other boys pee, but I went for sitting down b/c of the mess factor...do you think it's a big deal for them?
Well...it was 10 years ago in the mid-west but of the young boys I knew and the young boys at daycare you could tell who had a dad at home (or really involved) by how they pee'd. I was happy, by that point, to not have the dad around but the pee thing hit my pride. I don't think it matters which way they pee I was just saying that it is possible for a mom to teach the stand and aim method.
contactmaya's Avatar contactmaya
03:47 PM Liked: 2446
#8 of 15
05-05-2010 | Posts: 2,102
My oldest (4) figured it out for himself. Im not sure how. It just happened one day while outside.

Now, he is teaching his younger brother (2). One day they ran ahead of me and into the men's toilets. Minutes later i snuck in, and there they both were, standing in front of the urinal side by side. It was too cute!!

Done even worry about it.
Maya
paakbaak's Avatar paakbaak
07:37 PM Liked: 0
#9 of 15
05-05-2010 | Posts: 936
y seperated when my son was less than 2.5- i think he saw his dad a few times, but by the time i got him off diapers, i was alone. and nothing bad happened. i sat him down at the beginning, but then just stood him up, taught him how to hold and pee IN the toilet, shake, clean if he sprinkled and wash hands (this last thing is something i´m still working on, he is now over 4. but the first part, perfect.
there is NOTHING we can´t do...
09:01 PM Liked: 72
#10 of 15
hahaha paakbaak, I had forgotten the shake. Funny memories.
MCatLvrMom2A&X's Avatar MCatLvrMom2A&X
09:07 PM Liked: 127
#11 of 15
05-05-2010 | Posts: 14,210
I was the one to teach ds to use the potty even though I have a dh. A few times my dad took him to go potty with him and that is where he learned to pee standing up. I taught him to pee sitting because of the mess. I didnt care if ds was the only little boy sitting or not as long as I didnt have to clean up the mess in the bathroom.
buckeye_bebe's Avatar buckeye_bebe
11:01 PM Liked: 29
#12 of 15
05-05-2010 | Posts: 285
I don't know that married moms or even poly families have any advantage to potty training! But hey, if he can pee near the potty, that is better than somewhere else. Maybe your wee-man needs a
wee-man!
MittensKittens's Avatar MittensKittens (TS)
06:42 AM Liked: 71
#13 of 15
05-06-2010 | Posts: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye_bebe View Post
I don't know that married moms or even poly families have any advantage to potty training! But hey, if he can pee near the potty, that is better than somewhere else. Maybe your wee-man needs a
wee-man!

daddyray's Avatar daddyray
04:31 PM Liked: 0
#14 of 15
05-06-2010 | Posts: 32
He'll stand when it feels natural to him, but if you're worried about it, you can appeal to his competitive side and have him "sink" Cheerios while he pees if he's tall enough.

It takes a while to get across the idea that you have to hold the penis and aim. My youngest always acted like he was afraid he'd get pee on his hand and tried to hold his penis from above. He wound up pushing down and peeing all over his clothes and the floor that way.

Let him pee outside sometimes if you don't have neighbors close by who'd complain. Without the height of the toilet bowl, he can just work on technique.
Momily's Avatar Momily
12:21 AM Liked: 21
#15 of 15
05-07-2010 | Posts: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye_bebe View Post
wee-man!
OK, that's got to be the strangest thing I've ever seen. Why on earth would I consider something "cleaned" if it had been flushed in the toilet? I am soooo not a germophobe but the idea of fishing something out of the toilet for my kid each time they had to pee is not appealing.

If I'm going to buy a piece of plastic to put in my bathroom to allow my short child to pee standing up, then why not just get a step stool?

My son, with a single mother, peed standing up from the beginning. He had friends who peed sitting down and friends who peed standing up, all in two heterosexual parent families. I certainly didn't spend months holding his penis for him while he learned to pee, I think there was one day when he was running around naked and he started to pee and I pointed him in the right direction, and that was that.
Reply Subscribe Single Parenting