Camping/Festivals as a Single Mama?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-16-2010, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's that time of year...summer!!! I plan on doing lots of camping/festival-hopping this summer with my one year old... I have a desire to do lots of it just with my baby (i.e. not along with friends) because I do want some solo time to read/write/heal/etc. Any advice for the logistics of all of this?! For example, what if I have to pee at like 11 at night and the baby is asleep in the tent?

Any advice you can offer on tips/tricks, necessary camping gear, advice, etc. would be much appreciated especially if you've BTDT with a baby in tow... i'm going camping next week and then am going to the high sierra music fest, oregon country fair, amongst other things..thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-16-2010, 12:43 PM

This will be your easiest time camping - just plan on peeing right outside your tent in the middle of the night if you need it -- and bring your best baby carrier so you can still roam during nap time or even bed time. I have a 5 and 2 year old and its just not easy anymore.. and I dont anticipate it getting easier until they get to an age where they can be helpful. But we still go!
#3 of 4 Old 05-17-2010, 01:32 AM

Single-mama camping is quite feasible! We'll be doing lots of camping this summer (starting next week) and going to bluegrass festivals. I would advise car-camping and find a site close to a water spicket. Toddlers get VERY dirty when camping-so be prepared. I never did solo camping with my girls as infants, mine are older (5 and 8) but we did manage pretty well when I was married and they were little. It does get easier as they grow. I would make sure to pack plenty of bug repelant, a good first aid kit and use common sense regarding safety. Pre-making your meals at home saves time (we usually throw together some meat, veggies and seasonings in aluminum foil packets and then throw those in the campfire). Turkey or soy dogs are easy as well. A good wagon and sunshade is a must for festivals. If you plan to build a fire, do be careful with toddlers (mine were OBSESSED with the fire-nearly drove me nuts)
Give kids a good hat to wear at night and keep time at festivals simple-maybe a few hours and then back to camp (of course yours is little now-and will probably do fine-but as they get older-nothing is worse than a whiny, overtired child)
Toys are really not that necessary-we always just bring a jar (for collections) , maybe a few sand toys and the girl's "nature journals".
For festivals-a few books come in handy too.
Have fun and single mama camp away!!

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

#4 of 4 Old 05-17-2010, 01:42 AM

Yeah, you could even forget about the fire if you're worried and just use a little cook stove. I'd definitely stay near a water spout and even an outlet. Most of the state parks here have both of those standard. Take a bucket and a toilet seat to put on it in case of late night bathroom breaks. Take a thermometer, benadryl, poison ivy preventative wipes, and other first aid items. I love camping with my kids. You can snuggle that baby up with you at night and keep nice and warm.

Have fun! Wish we could enjoy summer camping here but it's starting to get way too hot (we hit 90 today).

hang.gif  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page