Collections calls for Ex - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-21-2010, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would you give them his current phone number or tell him they called? It's not harassing - this happened quite a few months back and then again this past week. They would call my cell repeatedly, not leave a vmail. Eventually I answer the phone, they ask for him. I say this isn't his number. They just say it's a personal matter, and won't give me any information, and I decline to give his phone number.

When I google the number, it's the collections arm of a bank that I know he has a credit card from. We used to have a joint checking account at this bank (which is presumably why they have my number associated with him), I am not on any of his credit cards, so that's not an issue.

He's terrible with money and is routinely a bit late w/child support and occasionally bounces checks. He spent all kinds of my money. I'm only surprised that I don't get more calls.

WWYD? I have no warm feelings toward my X. He's not a nice guy. We don't fight or anything - our relationship is strictly about the kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 06-21-2010, 03:33 PM

I would mention it to him once, and then not take any more of the calls. I wouldn't provide them his phone number. That's his job.
#3 of 11 Old 06-21-2010, 03:38 PM

I'd give them his number so they would stop harrassing me.
#4 of 11 Old 06-21-2010, 04:21 PM

I would give his number and then not answer the calls again. And, calling repeatedly and not leaving a vmail is harassing.

Why do they have your number and not his anyway? Is he using your number so that he doesn't get these calls?
#5 of 11 Old 06-21-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyra View Post
I would give his number and then not answer the calls again. And, calling repeatedly and not leaving a vmail is harassing.

Why do they have your number and not his anyway? Is he using your number so that he doesn't get these calls?
I'm guessing they have his # too, but he's not answering. I'm sure they have my number associated with him b/c I was the main member of this bank (USAA), and he became a member b/c we got married. Although I've made absolutely sure that there is nothing joint anymore (I never had a joint credit card w/him anyway, b/c I knew he was lousy w/money), I'm guessing they follow any lead to try & find him.
#6 of 11 Old 06-21-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosehip View Post
I'm guessing they have his # too, but he's not answering. I'm sure they have my number associated with him b/c I was the main member of this bank (USAA), and he became a member b/c we got married. Although I've made absolutely sure that there is nothing joint anymore (I never had a joint credit card w/him anyway, b/c I knew he was lousy w/money), I'm guessing they follow any lead to try & find him.
Then I would give them his number, and ask that they not contact you any more since he can't be reached at your number. Then report it as harassment if they continue to call you and not leave messages.
#7 of 11 Old 06-21-2010, 06:54 PM

I agree with PP about giving them his #, and telling them not to call you anymore since he can't be reached at your #. If they keep calling you, I would definitely keep records and report them if they harass you about it.

Let him deal with their calls. It isn't your responsibility. And you certainly don't need to be bothered or stressed with recurring phone calls for collections when you have nothing to do with the account.

Happily-married, bfinfant.gifing, cd.gifing mother-of-FIVE (G18, G16, B9, B2, Bnb) Supermom!
#8 of 11 Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 PM

I agree that it's his responsibility to deal with them -- or not, his choice --but I think that you don't necessarily have to give them his number to make them stop calling. I think that if you were to reiterate what you've said -- this isn't his number -- and request that they stop contacting you, they're obligated to cut it out. Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, I think? Your request may have to be in writing, not sure about the ins and outs.
#9 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 10:47 PM

They are going to keep calling you until they get a hold of him, especially if they know you that have his number. They will use up your minutes. BTW, just how did they get your cell phone number? Chances are, your ex put it on the application.

I would give them his phone number and ask for their mailing address. And then send them a cease and desist letter making it clear that your ex cannot be reached at this number, period. And any further calls will be considered a violation of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.
#10 of 11 Old 06-23-2010, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This happened to me. After weeks of missed calls, I finally got them on the phone, and gave them every bit of information I had on him. It was the same situation that you're in - bank calling, they had my information because he put my number on a loan application.

I never heard from them again. Not the most mature thing to do, but it worked!

DD 2/08
#11 of 11 Old 06-23-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaWhit View Post
I'd give them his number so they would stop harrassing me.
My ex-husband to this day gets collection calls on my cell phone as I have had the same number for almost 10 years. I used to give his number. Now I just tell the callers that they have the wrong number and to take my phone number out of their system. If he doesn't care about his bills, neither do I and it is not my job to play secretary and forward his information. Just my opinion.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page