What did you do with your rings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-18-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you had a wedding set what did you do once the marriage ended? Part of me wants to keep my engagement ring and wedding band in case one of my kids wants to use it but on the other hand I feel the set is cursed. The center stone on my e-ring belonged to my SIL, she gave it to my DH (her brother) when her first marriage ended. It's got two bad marriages associated with it now and I'm leaning towards selling it. Both rings are platinum, the e-ring has three princess cut stones and the wedding band has alternating sapphires and diamonds.

Thoughts?

SAHM to twin kindergarteners

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-18-2010, 07:02 PM

I'm keeping mine for my kids. My mom did that with her rings from my father (they divorced when i was 3) and I always treasured them.

Rox, HAPPY homeschooling AP single mama to the three joys in my life, DD (6), DD (4), and DS (2 months), and birth and postpartum doula.
#3 of 12 Old 08-18-2010, 07:05 PM

i'd sell it (personally, but that's not necessarily what you should do). you may only get the value of the raw materials (not anywhere near what you paid for the ring). then again, i just had a plain gold band which i purchased for myself long after i got married, because i guess it wasn't very important to stbx. when i decided i was leaving, i sold it. it wasn't a lot of money, but i used it to treat myself to a nice lunch and bought a different ring for myself that symbolized the next phase of my life. since you mentioned keeping the set for your children, you could use the money to do something else for them. or you could keep the three stones from the engagement ring so they'd each have one. something like that. another thing i've heard of is having your ring(s) reset into a new piece of jewelry like a pendant.
#4 of 12 Old 08-19-2010, 12:34 AM

I was broke after leaving the relationship, because all accounts and investments were in his name, so I eventually had to sell the ring at a pawn shop. They wouldn't pay much for it because it was so obviously an engagement/wedding ring. I think I got $150 for it, and used it to pay my electric bill.
#5 of 12 Old 08-19-2010, 03:43 AM

Sold mine on eBay and made lots of cash. It valued and sold at a little over $7,000. I loved the ring but could not wear it anymore. Too many bad memories.

Lilly, mum to one handsome boyand to one of God's angels in heaven
#6 of 12 Old 08-19-2010, 10:19 AM

It seems to be really hit or miss on people getting a decent return on their rings or not. I got royally screwed on my first wedding set.

I was going to keep this wedding band, as it's really cute, a very thin delicate strand of diamonds.

But! I had an ephiphany of what I'd like to try to do instead that I like very much! I have a Mother's heart necklace that has a space to add my children's birth stones. I have yet been able to have funds to add DD's. So I'm thinking once DS is born and I know exactly what month he will be... I'm going to try to trade the ring back in to get the stones put on my necklace. It's from the same jeweler, so I'm hoping for some luck in that. I never had the marriage band engraved, so I would think they could resell it.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#7 of 12 Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 PM

I'm planning to give the diamond of my engagement ring to my son when he decides to propose and my wedding band to my daughter is she wants it!
#8 of 12 Old 08-21-2010, 06:18 AM

Mine are in my sock drawer!

I want to sell them, esp sense my divorce is final now. Ds will have ZERO connection with his dad until he is at least 18 so I dont see the point in saving them.

The only thing is that I have no clue what they are worth or what the best way to sell them would be, I want to make as much $$$ as possible!
#9 of 12 Old 08-21-2010, 10:31 AM

Hm, well, my ring is a simple white gold band which probably isn't worth much at all. I know because I paid for it There's no diamond or anything because XH was far too cheap/poor to be able to afford that, so I don't think I could get much for it now...maybe 10 or 20$. I'm keeping it until I figure out what to do with it...perhaps transform it into a pendant.
#10 of 12 Old 08-22-2010, 01:15 AM

I loved my rings. They are in my jewelry box for now but I plan to take them to a jeweler and see if I can trade them in for a fantastic mother's ring.
That's what my marriage means to me now... that I ended up with three gorgeous and fun children. I'm thankful for that.

I wouldn't want anyone else to be married wearing rings that were from a failed marriage. Seems like bad luck to me.
#11 of 12 Old 08-23-2010, 12:49 PM

for anyone who is trying to figure out the best return, it would be a reputable jewelry store. not a pawn shop, not a mall jewelry store, but a locally owned and operated jeweler (generally speaking).

i got $70 for my plain gold band, but it was wide. not a lot of money, but better than nothing.
#12 of 12 Old 08-23-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
for anyone who is trying to figure out the best return, it would be a reputable jewelry store. not a pawn shop, not a mall jewelry store, but a locally owned and operated jeweler (generally speaking).

i got $70 for my plain gold band, but it was wide. not a lot of money, but better than nothing.
$70 is awesome for a plain gold band!

I'm still a little bitter about how badly I was screwed over with my last wedding set. lol I got a whole $50 for a white gold band, a white gold 1/4 k. diamond engagement ring that I had appraisal papers saying it was worth $1200, and! one of those circle diamond pendant necklaces. Yes, that's $50 total, not a piece. I had tried several places and that was the only place offering anything... this was at the begining of the major recession that hit though, so maybe that had something to do with it.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page