Food Stamps - how intrusive is application? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE the state (FL) SNAP or Food stamp program. I am concerned about the "contacting absent parent" the state talks about on the application. I have sole custody (court ordered) of my DD. Would they take the time/go so far to look up her bio dad (his parental rights were terminated, also court ordered) when processing my app? He's been out of the picture for 10 years, and I've never received child support. Anyone have experience or insight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 10:59 PM

They shouldn't. If anyone asks, you can always just give a copy of the paperwork proving the rights have been terminated.

When you want TANF (cash), they're more intrusive. Food stamps is generally a breeze as far as that's concerned.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 PM

From what I can tell, they don't do much with the information. My ex doesn't live in the U.S. at all though, so maybe that's why they haven't done much.

They do require you to register with the child support services, but again, not much has been done. (My ex did say he received a notice about child support, but doesn't intend to pay it; hopefully, that means he also doesn't intend to return to the U.S.).

Don't feel guilty or bad about giving information on your ex ... if you don't know where he lives, you just put down his name. Your children's needs come before his.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:04 PM

Request to file good cause and give them a copy of the termination of paternity. They won't do anything.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
In our state they do attempt to look up the parent who is suppossed to be paying child support so they can get that child support. They aren't quick about it though. Everything is computerized around here so they know when my ex is working and they are able to send an order to his work whenever I bug them to look to see if he is working so I can get child support if he is. Sometimes they are even on top of things, though that isn't often because they have so many cases they are overseeing.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all very much for your responses. I was recently laid off from my job and could really use the program help, but the application language kind of freaked me out
Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 PM

If his paternal rights were terminated, then he no longer owes support since he has no legal obligation to support the child. Provide a statement as such, and if they press, provide the documentation. It should be no issues. It's interesting the FL goes after the non-custodial parent when the custodial applies for food stamps; it's not like that in every state. In my state, all they want is the income of everyone in the household. They don't care about the other parent, unless it's TANF.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Old 09-15-2010, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! The specific language in the application is: "Parents or relatives applying for food assistance benefits for dependent children, who have absent parent(s), must cooperate with the state’s Child Support Enforcement office to establish paternity and obtain child support for the children."

I'm not sure EXACTLY what that means, or what actions it includes.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macheetah View Post
Thanks! The specific language in the application is: "Parents or relatives applying for food assistance benefits for dependent children, who have absent parent(s), must cooperate with the state’s Child Support Enforcement office to establish paternity and obtain child support for the children."

I'm not sure EXACTLY what that means, or what actions it includes.
that just means *if* you have info on the absent parent you are *susposed* to give it. I never do, I claim to be dumb in that area.

They are big on getting paternity established to start the child support procedings but collections and enforcement is a whole nother issue. (getting the state to actually collect never happens). So I figure if they are going to play dumb about collecting, I will play dumb about knowing anything. I dont want Mr. Wonderful involved.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 09-16-2010, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
i too would avoid the paternity question.

it is v. demeaning.

even though i was married and had ex's name on her birth certif. the worker was forcing me to go thru the paperwork and fill out this questionnaire asking extremely personal questions about our personal and sex lives.

i fought and refused to fill it out since ex was on the birth certificate. he tried to force me and i refused. and then he found out i didnt have to fill it out anyways. duh

so provide the paperwork of rights termination and you should be good to go.

that language is about 'disappeared' parents - not those who have legally given up their rights.

its their way of making sure they can get the dads to pay if they have to legally.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 09-16-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
If his paternal rights were terminated, then he no longer owes support since he has no legal obligation to support the child. Provide a statement as such, and if they press, provide the documentation. It should be no issues. It's interesting the FL goes after the non-custodial parent when the custodial applies for food stamps; it's not like that in every state. In my state, all they want is the income of everyone in the household. They don't care about the other parent, unless it's TANF.
When parental rights are terminated the parent is still required to pay child support unless another person adopts the child. The parent is still legally obligated to pay child support even though their rights were terminated.

User Tag List