Where is the law for leaving children in a park, running car? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The title says it all. Can anyone tell me if there is a law that covers this? This would be the 2 time he has done this...first time when she was 5 years old, at night, on Christmas Eve, while he had sex with a woman. Then three people came in the car with him, and she says they were all poking each other in the ears. She asked for hot chocolate because she was so cold, and she was in her pj's in a cold car. Her father's girl friend told her that there wasn't enough hot chocolate for her. Of course they weren't drinking hot chocolate, but they told her they were. One of the strangers in the car kissed her.

She was terribly freightened. My crappy lawyer dropped the case and tried to settle out of court, so now my dd is still dealing with this crap. I did the needful a few minutes ago...and it is reported.

Her father LIED to me when I asked if she was in the car. My son is in scouts, and he and I were volunteering when my ex came up today to pick up my ds. I asked him where was dd1. He refused to tell me. I asked if she was in the car. He said, leave me alone to care for my children. Don't butt in.

I should have run to her car with my cell phone in hand and called the police. I really thought she was at a friends house.

She told me, "Mom, next time you don't see me and Dad refuses to say where I am, please check his car". My poor girl is more mature than him.

For kids under 7 years old, there is a law. Do you know if there is a law for children over 7 years? do you think the court will rule in favor of my daughter, who was left with the keys in, car running? I will take him to court to protect my kids. This was not safe at all. Someone could have abducted her today.

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
it varies from state to state. I know the law for IL. When I lived there, I drove school busses, and would leave the kids in the car (parked right next to the bus) while I did my inspection and got the bus warmed up in the mornings. Keys in, car running, so they would be warm and comfy.

In IL, I could leave a child of ANY age in a car, running or not, alone for up to 10 minutes. Legally.

What state are you in? I might have faster luck at finding your laws, since I've run the same searches for another state before.

Wife to 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 Beast 
Mama to 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 Crash (18), 
Spritely (16), and
A-Babe (2)
#3 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 03:52 AM

Is this the right state?

http://nashville.injuryboard.com/mis...oogleid=267392

http://www.kidsandcars.org/tn_proposed.htm

I know there are better sites out there, but hopefully this information will get you started.

#4 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
If a stranger was grabbing my child and kissing her I would freak out and file a complaint with the police about it. If it happens again I think you should go that route and let them sort out what is going on. If your child is reporting that this is happening a lot then I would report it to CPS. Even if there isn't a specific law it may still fall under the category of neglect, especially in the winter or summer time when many kids die from the extreme temperature changes in the car. Make sure your house is really nice when you do it just in case they come to look at all of the places she resides.
#5 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I know it's against the law where I used to live, but I don't remember if there is an age limit. I did a google search and found this story. Which includes this info

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291415,00.html

In addition to Florida, the other states that have specific children-in-cars laws include Connecticut, California, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Nebraska, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas and Washington.

Not sure where you live. Probably the easiest thing to do is call the police and ask what the law is, or call CPS and ask.
#6 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think it is illegal here. However if the child is in clear danger, such as in your first example, it doesn't matter where they are (in a car or not), that would be child abandonment or neglect or something.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#7 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 07:40 PM

I would guess that there aren't many laws about it for her age- I mean, she's old enough- and fully capable of getting herself in and out of the vehicle without an adult, so hypo and hyperthermia shouldn't be huge issues. The older incident was huge, and yes, it should have gone somewhere.

I think that I would advise her that if she is 'left in the car' for a length of time, she should simply get out and go to the nearest safe location to call the police.
#8 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confustication View Post
I would guess that there aren't many laws about it for her age- I mean, she's old enough- and fully capable of getting herself in and out of the vehicle without an adult, so hypo and hyperthermia shouldn't be huge issues. The older incident was huge, and yes, it should have gone somewhere.

I think that I would advise her that if she is 'left in the car' for a length of time, she should simply get out and go to the nearest safe location to call the police.
I agree with this. I would also tell her she can dial 911 from any cell phone that has a battery.
#9 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 09:01 PM

In CA it is the age of 12. Anything younger is considered child endangerment.
#10 of 12 Old 10-19-2010, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

It seems that this was intentional, and that since her dad and myself and all the scouts were only a few hundred feet away, but not able to see her because she was in the car on an elevated parking lot, near the main street, that even though the age is 7 here, that they may consider this out of line, especially considering the control that he forces over her, not allowing her to decide to get out on her own when she wondered why it was taking so long.

She was afraid he would be angry. I wonder why she is more worried about his needs than he is about hers. : (

I did call CPS, but as usual here, they did not contact me back to talk to my dear sweetie.

#11 of 12 Old 10-19-2010, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
totally off topic...

but jyotsna was it your 7 year old who filed the police record?

wow just wow. i thought or rather assumed she was about 10 or so.

i am now doubly blown away by her strength.

the poor wee one.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#12 of 12 Old 10-20-2010, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

No, she is 10. Yes she is strong, but now that she went back, she is scared to do it again. I don't know what he said to her, she isn't saying.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page