Tattoo to celebrate divorce/separation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not huge on tattoos but I was wondering if other mamas on this board got or wanted to get (or have already gotten) a tattoo to celebrate the beginning of a new phase of their lives.

Or maybe I'm just weird...
#2 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I'm getting one done next summer for sure! I've been trying to find a tree of life design I liked for over a year and I finally found the perfect one! Next summer it's on the agenda!!!

I think it's fun, meaningful, and if it will make you happy and remember something important, GO FOR IT!
#3 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 06:42 PM

hot, do it! i was just thinking about this today (mostly because i drove past a friend's shop) . . . i wanted to get weaning tattoos, but i didn't because stbx didn't want me to (and because he always spent all our disposable income, and then-some, on himself). even though he has tons of tattoos. because he used to be a tattoo artist. yeah. i have no one to blame but myself, but really.

what do you think you'll get? rcm, got a picture or a link?! i would love to see your design!
#4 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
rcm, got a picture or a link?! i would love to see your design!
Probably this one which I totally love! No one will know it's a tree of life but me, but that is not the point! :P If not that specific one, then definitely another by this artist. But this has been THE DESIGN for me since the second I saw it.
#5 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerCoasterMama View Post
Probably this one which I totally love! No one will know it's a tree of life but me, but that is not the point! :P If not that specific one, then definitely another by this artist. But this has been THE DESIGN for me since the second I saw it.
GORGEOUS! Where will you put it?
#6 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think it's fun, meaningful, and if it will make you happy and remember something important, GO FOR IT!
Actually, it's already done...I did it to cover up the tattoo that XH required I get to prove my fidelity. It had his initials in it (I know, I know...stupid). I covered it with a lotus blossom design, because it's a flower that grows out of the mud and always blooms beautifully. The process hurt like a @#$%^&!! but was so worth it.

Part 1

Part 2

Final shot

I was just curious to see if other mamas had the same idea.
#7 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 08:30 PM

Maybe I'm the odd one out but I kinda would not want something on my body forever that was in anyway associated with my ex.... I get that I would mean starting something new but it would also remind me of the why I was needing to start anew.....

I am all for celebrating the end of one point in life and the start of something new, but I am more for that in the form of a divorce party (independence party in my case) where I am with those I love who have support me thru the old and are here with me in the new. Or a spa day.

If I were in your same position I would have a divorce party and get the tattoo when you start your dream career or something completely not tied to your ex.

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#8 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 08:34 PM

Oh wow! It turned out great! I think covering up his initials is an excellent reason to get one! I'm impressed on how well they covered it up! In your shoes the original tat would have been just bugging me every time I saw it. I'd have gotten it covered as soon as I saved the cash!!

I was figuring on my lower back. It's stretch-mark free and will survive any future pregnancies without major distortion.
#9 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 08:38 PM

Love it! How ya doin HAM?

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#10 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfasianmomma View Post
Actually, it's already done...I did it to cover up the tattoo that XH required I get to prove my fidelity. It had his initials in it (I know, I know...stupid). I covered it with a lotus blossom design, because it's a flower that grows out of the mud and always blooms beautifully. The process hurt like a @#$%^&!! but was so worth it.
I posted my reply before reading this. Yes I would cover up someone name / initials with something positive if I had gotten something like that. And I do like the lotus you decided to go with.

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#11 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOhm View Post
Maybe I'm the odd one out but I kinda would not want something on my body forever that was in anyway associated with my ex.... I get that I would mean starting something new but it would also remind me of the why I was needing to start anew.....

I am all for celebrating the end of one point in life and the start of something new, but I am more for that in the form of a divorce party (independence party in my case) where I am with those I love who have support me thru the old and are here with me in the new. Or a spa day.

If I were in your same position I would have a divorce party and get the tattoo when you start your dream career or something completely not tied to your ex.
It probably depends on the individual view-point. I might not have done it immediately. But I made the decision last summer, moved out 10 months ago, and have spent the time in between completely reclaiming myself! I'm pursuing life-long goals I didn't have the time, money or emotional energy to try before. I'm proud of me. My hypothetical tattoo represents me and my accomplishments. Strengths and goals. Plus the whole circle of life thing (people gone and my own fertility). Things I want to remember.

In my own particular instance, I really don't see my divorce as starting over. But my circumstances aren't everyone's so I completely understand your viewpoint!
#12 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
ooooooh that looks GREAT HAM!!!! great job. it really looks good. i loved the art.

RCM ooh baby yeah you are talking. i loooove your design. its sooo pretty (an understatement).

for the longest time i wanted to get my tongue pierced to celebrate my new life. but that desire has long passed.

however i want a tattoo real bad. in colour. i still need to find an artist and $$$ and the design itself. to celebrate the fact that i finally know what i want. and i want my body to scream it too. it has to be bold and big and in a place where it can be visible.

i DO want to do the tree of life too

but the traditional one. i plan to be working in central or south america with indigenous rights.

however i havent found the right design. i have the concept but cant put it on paper. i dont like too much close lines. i want the traditional design but somehow make it more flowing - havent figured that out either.

once my mom passes i will get some facial tattoos. i have always wanted them but i dont think my poor mom can handle it.

nor have i found great looking tatoo and colour work on dark skin. i have dark brown skin and i havent seen great colour work as i have seen on light skin.

something like this...
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:1%26prmd%3Div

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#13 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
ETA: Forum crashing here...
How interesting! I have a tree of life tattoo that I got from Pat Fish. She didn't design the one I have (although she put the finishing touches on the design). She does amazing work...especially for Celtic stuff. Heck if you can go to her in person I would recommend it. She's in Santa Barbara...great place for a vacation at any rate.

Here's a crappy shot of it.
#14 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
ETA: Forum crashing here...
How interesting! I have a tree of life tattoo that I got from Pat Fish. She didn't design the one I have (although she put the finishing touches on the design). She does amazing work...especially for Celtic stuff. Heck if you can go to her in person I would recommend it. She's in Santa Barbara...great place for a vacation at any rate.

Here's a crappy shot of it.
Oh cool! I have been looking for a LONG time. Her's are the first ones I liked whole-heartedly! And for a tattoo, it's not a good plan to settle! I can take her awesome design to a good local artist and I'm sure it will be fabulous. But like I said...not until next summer. Hopefully I'll be getting preggers this weekend!!!
#15 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 10:58 PM

i've been thinking about getting inked, in fact i have some appointments lined up.

this winter i'm going to get a simple circle on my solar plexus, then the phases of the moon declining along the inside curve of my ribcage. this: http://www.free-candle-spells.com/wp...or-phases1.jpg but in simple outlines, not colour or with shading or anything. to me the circle is too powerful a symbol to colour in with one interpretation - i like leaving it open to be a medicine wheel or mandala or any number of other amazing images, all at once. the whole design represents cycles and phases and change and the glorious power and pride i derive from being a woman. one of my classmates does tattoos out of her (sanitized) kitchen, so this won't cost much.

next summer i have an appointment lined up with my city's best tattoo artist to get a combination of these images:
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs44/f/20...ipslopslap.jpg
http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.80030360.jpg
http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.56554113.jpg
as a sleeve on my upper arm. the components will be arranged to represent myself and my sons and the way we're awesome together.

so, yeah. i like this thread. go us!
#16 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeah I want one LOL got divorced a litte over a year ago and still have my ex's name on my back (well his old name before he legally changed it) I want a cover up
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#17 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 AM

HAM, love it!

I got inked after my first divorce. It's a goddess with the words beautiful and free above her. When I get some cash, I fully intend to add to it. I've wanted a full back piece for years and now that I'm not with x, I can have it.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#18 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 12:58 AM

josy, swoon, i love the moon phases concept (and the trees).
#19 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 01:13 AM

I love hearing everyones stories and ideas! 5 months after I left my Ex (who was abusive) I got the chinese symbol for strength on my right wrist and then 2 months after that I got the symbol for Mother on my left wrist. They are both fairly small and just black. I love them and I love having them in a spot where I can easily look at them and feel proud of everything I have accomplished for myself and my children.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#20 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Freedom...is there a pic of your tats someplace? I'd love to see that.

AFM, I can't get more tattoos unless they're in a "hidable" place, since I work in a law firm. Tats on the limbs would be too visible.

Deermother...now it's my turn to demand pics when you get your full back piece done!

josybear...those images are gorgeous. I can't wait to see what your sleeve will look like!(and you're so brave to do a sleeve....just my back tattoo hurt so badly, I don't know if I can have more done!).
#21 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Oh cool! I have been looking for a LONG time. Her's are the first ones I liked whole-heartedly! And for a tattoo, it's not a good plan to settle! I can take her awesome design to a good local artist and I'm sure it will be fabulous. But like I said...not until next summer. Hopefully I'll be getting preggers this weekend!!!
Sending lots of baby dust

Good luck! I CAN'T wait to be preggo again - I want another baby SO BADLY. Oh well. Maybe in 5 years I'll be financially stable enough to try.
#22 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfasianmomma View Post

Part 1

Part 2

Final shot

I was just curious to see if other mamas had the same idea.
Very beautiful, HAM! Fabulous way to cover up your X's initials!

I also have a lotus. It is on my left hip and the blossom is slightly closed. As I continue my life-long journey/spiritual path... my lotus will continue to grow and bloom along with me. I actually have an appointment next month to get it expanded at bit... it has been a life-changing year.

The other tattoo I am slowly contemplating are the eyes of Buddha: http://www.luckyfishart.com/eyesofbuddha.html I have had this idea for the past 7 months and it is just growing and becoming stronger, to the point of entering my dreams. If it continues over the next couple months... I'll know it was meant for me.
#23 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by josybear View Post

next summer i have an appointment lined up with my city's best tattoo artist to get a combination of these images:
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs44/f/20...ipslopslap.jpg
http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.80030360.jpg
http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.56554113.jpg
as a sleeve on my upper arm. the components will be arranged to represent myself and my sons and the way we're awesome together.

so, yeah. i like this thread. go us!
WOW! What absolutely BEAUTIFUL pictures and a wonderful idea for a sleeve!
#24 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Holland...I LOVE your opening blossom tattoo concept. Just. Plain. Love. It.
#25 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyra View Post
Sending lots of baby dust

Good luck! I CAN'T wait to be preggo again - I want another baby SO BADLY. Oh well. Maybe in 5 years I'll be financially stable enough to try.
Trying not to thread jack! But it's not my baby. I'm just the babysitter for 9 months! But yeah SOOO excited to be pregnant again! I don't even want another baby so much, it's being pregnant that I miss! Once I figured that out, my path was crystal clear! :-D And I'll take every ounce of sticky dust you've got to send my way!!
#26 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Trying not to thread jack! But it's not my baby. I'm just the babysitter for 9 months! But yeah SOOO excited to be pregnant again! I don't even want another baby so much, it's being pregnant that I miss! Once I figured that out, my path was crystal clear! :-D And I'll take every ounce of sticky dust you've got to send my way!!
How sweet of you to babysit for 9months!! I admire you for taking that on! Lots of sticky dust!!
#27 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland73 View Post
Very beautiful, HAM! Fabulous way to cover up your X's initials!

I also have a lotus. It is on my left hip and the blossom is slightly closed. As I continue my life-long journey/spiritual path... my lotus will continue to grow and bloom along with me. I actually have an appointment next month to get it expanded at bit... it has been a life-changing year.
SUCH a cool idea! I absolutely love the idea of body art that grows with you!
#28 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i have planned on this for years. by the time i have the money, it won't be celebrating my divorce so much as my continued independence. i want flowers, poisonous flowers, with roots descending down and in contour with my stretch marks. my boyfriend before h was a tattoo artist, and i would never let him tattoo me. i just couldn't stand the idea of a bf permanently marking me. must have been premonition b/c he ended up cheating on me! i definitely want a woman tattoo artist, for some reason it's important. i want those flowers that are used for healing, but poisonous if used incorrectly- damiana, deadly nightshade, poppy, foxglove, datura. . . . you get the idea ;}
#29 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 PM

My STBX was abusive. For nine years I dealt with that. I have often thought about getting a lotus somewhere on my body. I love the idea of it blooming through the muck and the mud. However, I do agree with the other poster when she said she did not want to be reminded every time she saw it. So there is my situation- I go back and forth about it.

But I just feel like I am so freaking strong. I clawed my way out of that relationship and it did not break me. He did not win. I win. So I want to honor that strength somehow.

If anyone cares to sway me one way or the other, I am open to it.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page