has anyone here used Legalzoom for your divorce? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried to search it and got several hits for finances, wills, etc, but I'm curious if it's a viable option for divorce? I know I can go through SIU legal aid here in IL, but there are so many different forms and I don't want to miss something important. I live in a rural town, so lawyer options are limited and the few lawyers here are very expensive. It's pretty much do it yourself, or pay out the nose for a lawyer to do it. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to file, but since I'm at the point of wanting to know my options, you can gather that I'm pretty unhappy with how things are. TIA!

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2010, 10:48 PM

I haven't used that site, but I went through a long messy divorce in IL...and would be happy to help you figure out your game plan, if you decide to divorce. It's a father's rights state (where the law is written to protect father's rights, neglecting to consider that isn't always in the child's best interest), and you need to get your ducks in a row before you start any legal proceedings.

PM me if you need any tips.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

Old 10-21-2010, 07:01 PM

that's the most subtle spam i've EVER seen!

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

Old 10-21-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post
I haven't used that site, but I went through a long messy divorce in IL...and would be happy to help you figure out your game plan, if you decide to divorce. It's a father's rights state (where the law is written to protect father's rights, neglecting to consider that isn't always in the child's best interest), and you need to get your ducks in a row before you start any legal proceedings.

PM me if you need any tips.
Thanks I'm still considering my options. I've thought for a long time that I could just 'suck it up' and keep with my husband for the kids, but this past weeks antics have just gone a little too far.

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

Old 10-21-2010, 08:21 PM

I would be cautious doing my own divorce when there are children involved.

That warning being said, I did my own divorce with my first husband (no kids, no assets - our biggest fight about the divorce was over who got the playstation (we were 19) It was super easy, and I did it all myself. The filing steps were all written out on the internet, I copied my friend's divorce decree for format and wording (*that may not be the best legal advice *), filed the papers and went to court. Everyone was surprisingly super nice. The only thing that tripped me up was that there was a script I was supposed to say to the judge when introducing my divorce papers that I didn't know about. But the very nice bailiff told me they would call me last, and then told me to run upstairs to the law room and told me where to find a copy of the script to recite.

Doing my own divorce was cheap and easy and everyone was helpful. BUT since you have kids you really should retain a lawyer at least to look over the document after you write it. Maybe that would be a cheaper alternative?

Mommy to one great little boy (2009)
Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

that's the most subtle spam i've EVER seen!

That page looks to be perfect for uncontested divorces - basically all they do is bring up a standard form and fill in the blanks for you. Charge ya $250 for it, too. Then you go file it, which means you have to pay the filing costs and all the rest of the various little things lawyers usually take care of. Granted, lawyers charge more for everything, so.....

I personally know my STBX will not agree to anything I put forth, so I will have to retain some sort of legal aid.

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 PM

I live in central Illinois and our courthouse has a law library with basic forms and access to some websites. You might check if your courthouse has anything like that.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:16 AM

I did. Although I think my divorce was very unusual (married 20+ years, 4 kids, no contest. I did all the paperwork and he agreed to everything I presented.)

Frankly, I found Legalzoom's service to be lacking. I ended up using my state's website, which was extremely helpful -- including a flow chart to follow for the steps to divorce depending on circumstance. I did end up using the Legalzoom forms (they sent me a hard copy after I filled them out on line) to fill out the specific paperwork for my county.

For the $299 I paid, it wasn't a hardship, and like I said before, I used their forms as a hard copy guideline to follow when I filled out the forms I actually did submit.

Good luck -- divorce is never easy.

Jill H.

(lucky mom to Amelia 20, Camille 18, Evan 15, and Gracie 13)
Old 10-22-2010, 01:34 AM

I had the same experience as acegmon. Legalzoom had some things wrong in what they sent me including the address of the court house. The State of California had a website with all of the forms. I ended up filling them out myself and did copy Legalzoom in a few cases.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:39 PM

I've heard alot about legalzoom on the talk radio but never used it.

User Tag List