Ex wants to introduce new GF after 2 weeks! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I totally understand how you feel. It's almost paralyzing, not being able to maintain that control. What helped me was to realize how much of my time and energy I was giving, to my ex no less, over the issue. I gave literally all of my time and energy into battling whether or not his gf could be around our DD, and in the end I wasn't taking care of myself or the kind of life I wanted myself and DD to have. You can't control who he dates/whether they meet your kids. We tried that, and it was ugly and had nothing to do with DD at all, but had everything to do with us. Once I realized that in the end, he was winning anyway because I was spending so much time thinking about/being angry about/trying to do something about the life he was building and had nothing left for myself. Take a deep breath, and focus on YOU. Do you. Make your life. Make the life you want for you and your child. Spend your energy there. 

(sort of) single mama to one hearts.gif7/21/07. student, breastfeeding advocate, writer 

#32 of 32 Old 07-24-2012, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I'm new to all this, but this seems really odd to me. If you are dating someone, your children know you are dating, and they want to meet the person... shouldn't you allow that? What's the worry in this situation?

I understand why the OP didn't want her daughter to think her father was going to marry someone he'd been dating for a few months, that it would make her feel unstable. I also understood the distinction between telling the ex that introducing a partner too early could hurt the child and making a legal case out of the issue. 

I guess I'm unclear about how it protects older children who know you are dating to stop them from meeting the people you date. I'm not dating yet because I'm not divorced, only separated, so this is all hypothetical for me. Are you concerned that the children will become attached to someone you decide is not serious relationship material? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueholly View Post

A friend told me women are so much more protective of their children. She's been divorced since her son was 7 and he's now 25 and she has never, never introduced anyone she's dated to him. My children have asked to meet my dates and I've emphatically stated no and because until I know what kind of person they are and what they might be in my life then the two shall never intermingle.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page