Mothering Forum banner

dating a "sensitive" man

26K views 276 replies 72 participants last post by  mimim 
#1 ·
I'm divorced. I have been on the dating scene this past year with no luck as of yet. I really haven't dated anyone seriously to this point. The guy I've been seeing I met in October of last year. He is great! He never argues, we get along for the most part on every subject and even talk out the things we don't necessarily see eye to eye on and get along even then. He has a child and I have 3 children. We haven't done much with our children, just meet up at church sometimes. We haven't had sex yet because of our beliefs and wanting to wait for a while longer, but we do other things to keep that area exciting. :D So far the relationship is great.

My problem with him is that he is TOO sensitive. I can make the smallest comment about something and he will run it in the ground discussing it and will even write up a long email to point out things and is very, very sensitive. Will say he didn't sleep all night because of something I say bothering him or he gets himself worked up so much in his mind over something I might say and it will drain him to the point of sleeping for ten hours straight and not being able to wake. (shrug) It can be the smallest of comments I make and it's only pertaining to us or a situation between us usually. He will also get on the phone with me when frustrated over something and talk for hours on end and I rarely get a chance to chime in and say anything and the whole conversation gets taken over by him. :( I'm not used to that.

Example: he was going to stop by after work the other day. The kids go to their dads for a few hours on that particular day and this guy was going to stop by fast and leave shortly after they returned. He had told me that he wasn't ready to start coming over to my house around my kids just yet because he thinks he and I need to get to know one another even more and was afraid we would focus on the kids too much and forget about "us" and getting deeper in our relationship. Well I sort of understood but we only have 1 night together at this point each week because my EX only will watch the children one day/night per week at this point and that's on the weekend, so we go ALL week long and don't see one another usually. So....that day he said he was coming by I had told my kids he "might" stop by and for them to be normal and do their usual activities. He ended up "not" coming and they came home asking questions about where he was and if he came and what not. They were excited he might be coming. Well I proceeded to send him a few texts telling him he was "right" and that it's probably too soon for him to start coming over like that because I didn't realize the impression it had made on the kids thinking he "might" come by. I told him it might be best to do it another way, like me get a sitter and we meet up that way so we can be alone. He took those texts allllll in a bad way. Said he didn't understand them and that we NEEDED to talk about them. He said he felt bad and hurt that I said it as if I was trying to make him "feel bad" for not coming. I was in no way doing that. We still haven't talked about it because we've both been so busy. And last night I was on the phone with him and fell asleep while talking (I do that often, oops) which is another area I have issues in. I have been overly stressed out and tired lately and falling asleep at odd times of the day, which he has a hard time understanding as well. I think he thinks he bores me on the phone. I don't think that's what it is because I get tired even if I'm not talking to him on the phone each night. I can go to sleep very easily and very early! I also get tired all throughout the day. But that part isn't the point of this post, the part about him being sensitive to things I say is what I'm having a hard time with. I can't tell him he is too sensitive because it's part of his personality that I like in regards to "other" areas of his life. I don't know what to do.

ugh ugh ugh, this dating thing is so tough. It's so hard to find the right person and to figure out when is the time to start bringing them around the kids.

See less See more
#102 ·
I have no patience for "overly sensitive" people. its one thing to be truly hurt about something but another thing to make everything about you and some kind of drama. I just will not tolerant of that. i was dating a woman lasts summer and she tried to pull that crap on me and I cut her lose. Life is way too short for that bs.

#104 ·
Congrats! I am totally happy to hear you broke it off. You and your children deserve so much more than that.

I agree with some of the PPs in that he is likely to decide it's not for the best afterall and to try to get back with you. That's what my ex who sounds a lot like yours would do. He would tell me he "didn't accept" me breaking up with him and would push my buttons again to try to get back together.

#108 ·
Ok well, he did weaseal his way back in. :( He said that God wants us to be together and we need to stick to God's will right now. He actually got MAD at me because I told him he needed to get up early that morning so he wouldn't get to his new job late and lose it!! He got angry and hung up on me!! When I got upset cause he got angry he called me later (never apologizing) and said the devil was working in me to get me to say that to him when he was at his lowest point. His lowest point? He put HIMSELF there. :( He was awake at 9:30am and I texted and said "Stay awake!!!" and he still went back to bed, woke at 11:30am and had time to get ready. His job didn't even start til 1pm each day. Then he gets there late anyway. And he said to me later that he was late BECAUSE - get this.......I called him at 11:30am and his mother called him to make sure he was awake and ready to go. We were trying to help him. :( That made me feel even worse cause he made it out to seem as though "I" got him even further behind.

He even said his alarm clock AND cell phone both didn't work that morning to wake him up. He said it's a freaky thing that they will both do this at times, but not consistently mind you. Because I was there with him on Saturday night, yeah spent the night (no sex though, remembering he is WAITING) and we woke just fine from a very LOUD alarm clock, snooze worked and everything and his cell phone worked, snooze on it and everything. I don't want to think he lies to me but I don't know what else to do. He makes me feel like if we don't keep dating he will make me out to feel like the loser for losing him. I think about how absolutely gorgeous he is and sweet and Godly which is what I really want, but then all this other stuff clouds all the good stuff and I just end up confused again.

He knew he had to be at work at 1pm that day. He had a 45 minute drive to get there. Why couldn't he stay up all morning and get there on time!!!!! They gave him a whole freaking week off work to rest and recoup when the other employees that had been working there for years probably wondered what they heck!?!

I don't know what to do. He keeps saying we need to work this out and makes me feel guilty for trying to break it off. He twists things to a point where I can't even explain it here. It's tough to get in to words but I see it. And at the same time he is so cute, sweet and charming. And I want to do what God wants me to do. I'm so lost and I don't know what to do. I want someone to love me, to date and to be involved with. But I want someone with a job and he says that is so worldly to require that my man has a job. But he hasn't had one in almost 3 years AND he lost the first one he had in 3 years because he overslept.

#110 ·
I wish I knew what to do. I feel so incapable of finding a GOOD guy. But yet I talk to an old boyfriend a lot here lately that has a wonderful, secure job in engineering and he isn't a believer of God though so that keeps me from dating him. But he is a great man, very sweet to me and employed and wonderful. Then there's this guy I'm dating. He lives with his brother, sleeps til 12noon or after every day cause he stays up every night til 4am. He couldn't keep the one job that 'finally' came his way after 3 years of searching for a job. He has a house that is so dirty I won't even go in to it here. He smokes and wreaks of that. He has a son that he lets stay up way in to the wee hours of the night when he is with him. He doesn't do much with his son. He obsesses over a past band he was in and wants to be in another rock band one day but it's a dream and he's almost 40 years old and needs to WAKE up. His mommy caters to him, gives him money, tells him this last job wasn't for him and God wants him unemployed to take care of the sick people in the family and etc. I just don't understand. This guy is SO not my type from the types I have wanted in the past, successful men. My ex-husband was very successful, still is, a business owner for over 25 years. I don't get why I am allowing myself to fall for this. I don't know how to get out.

#112 ·
Darcy, you seem so sensible in so many ways. You can see through this man, but you get back together with him?

And the God thing...OK, let me say up front that I am way more spiritual than religious, but I am pretty darn sure God doesn't care if you're in this relationship or not. It doesn't affect God's life, it affects yours. As for him being Godly, I don't really understand what that means to you. I would think a Godly man would be a stand-up kind of guy, you know? A mensch. He'd get up and go to work and respect your decisions. A guy who would take responsibility for his own decisions, rather than shifting the blame to other-worldly entities.

#113 ·
Im chiming in while I shouldnt be, because Im not a single parent. But I keep seeing this thread pop up in new posts, and I must say, Im just shocked.

This guy talking about "Gods Plan" and "it was the Devil coming out in him" is code for "Im a lazy, emotionally abusive, narcisist who is going to stop at nothing to take advantage of you". The OPs quotes of some of the things hes said is downright creepy, and it would not surprise me one bit if his craziness begins to get violent when he doesn't get his way.

This sounds like a very scary individual, and I would run as fast as your legs can carry you and your CHILDREN. Because subjecting them to this craziness would be just, well, crazy.

HUGS!

#114 ·
darcy, I may be completely wrong, but I feel like the fact that you keep posting on this thread is a sign that you *know* what to do, you just really need some support in doing it. Do you have any friends or family who would be willing to be there with you when you break it off with this man (preferably over the phone...on voice mail would be even better)? Someone who could help you stay strong?

After ending the relationship, change your phone #, or at the very least, do *not* answer his calls. He can't weasel his way back in if you won't talk to him.

Also, there is a difference between being Godly, and being a selfish SOB who uses *your* spiritual devotion to control you.

#115 ·
When you say you don't know what to do, do you mean you don't know whether to stay with him or not, or that you don't know how to break it off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcytrue View Post

He said that God wants us to be together and we need to stick to God's will right now.

How on God's green earth does he purport to know God's will? And to say that God's will is for you guys to be together? These are the words of a mortal who is committing hubris by saying that he knows God's will. Girl, you know that he doesn't know God's will any more than you do, and that he is just manipulating you here.

He actually got MAD at me because I told him he needed to get up early that morning so he wouldn't get to his new job late and lose it!! He got angry and hung up on me!! When I got upset cause he got angry he called me later (never apologizing) and said the devil was working in me to get me to say that to him when he was at his lowest point. His lowest point? He put HIMSELF there. :( He was awake at 9:30am and I texted and said "Stay awake!!!" and he still went back to bed, woke at 11:30am and had time to get ready. His job didn't even start til 1pm each day. Then he gets there late anyway. And he said to me later that he was late BECAUSE - get this.......I called him at 11:30am and his mother called him to make sure he was awake and ready to go. We were trying to help him. :( That made me feel even worse cause he made it out to seem as though "I" got him even further behind.

Yup, you see it - he takes no responsibility for himself, and blames everyone else (like, you) for his problems. He is not living the way of God.

He makes me feel like if we don't keep dating he will make me out to feel like the loser for losing him. I think about how absolutely gorgeous he is and sweet and Godly which is what I really want, but then all this other stuff clouds all the good stuff and I just end up confused again.

If he was sooooo great, he wouldn't worry about letting you know that you would be losing out by losing him. A great guy who got dumped will easily find another good woman. The reason he is telling you this is because HE is a loser, and HE is desperate to keep you. I'm glad he's gorgeous and sweet, and those are great but you know they are not enough. I can say he's not Godly - just look at his behavior. He talks the talk but he doesn't walk the walk. He just says all these things just to make you think he's Godly. Also, if you stay with him, the confusion will only get worse - have you ever heard of a relationship where someone said "oh, I thought he was really bad news but then he turned out to be super, he is my very rock, we are growing old together and it's stable and wonderful every single minute."

I don't know what to do. He keeps saying we need to work this out and makes me feel guilty for trying to break it off. He twists things to a point where I can't even explain it here. It's tough to get in to words but I see it. And at the same time he is so cute, sweet and charming. And I want to do what God wants me to do. I'm so lost and I don't know what to do. I want someone to love me, to date and to be involved with. But I want someone with a job and he says that is so worldly to require that my man has a job. But he hasn't had one in almost 3 years AND he lost the first one he had in 3 years because he overslept.
When you say you don't know what to do... you mean you don't know how to say the words "We're through"? "It's over"? Or are you really thinking this is a good relationship - with a man who twists things beyond words. When you say you want to do what God wants you to do - have you talked to God about this or are you actually taking this guy's word that he has a direct line to God and God wants this relationship to happen? You want to stay with someone who is not meeting your minimum standards on several counts?

Quote:

I wish I knew what to do. I feel so incapable of finding a GOOD guy. But yet I talk to an old boyfriend a lot here lately that has a wonderful, secure job in engineering and he isn't a believer of God though so that keeps me from dating him. But he is a great man, very sweet to me and employed and wonderful. Then there's this guy I'm dating. He lives with his brother, sleeps til 12noon or after every day cause he stays up every night til 4am. He couldn't keep the one job that 'finally' came his way after 3 years of searching for a job. He has a house that is so dirty I won't even go in to it here. He smokes and wreaks of that. He has a son that he lets stay up way in to the wee hours of the night when he is with him. He doesn't do much with his son. He obsesses over a past band he was in and wants to be in another rock band one day but it's a dream and he's almost 40 years old and needs to WAKE up. His mommy caters to him, gives him money, tells him this last job wasn't for him and God wants him unemployed to take care of the sick people in the family and etc. I just don't understand. This guy is SO not my type from the types I have wanted in the past, successful men. My ex-husband was very successful, still is, a business owner for over 25 years. I don't get why I am allowing myself to fall for this. I don't know how to get out.
Your old boyfriend is proof that there are better guys out there and you don't have to be tied to this rock. It's fine that your standards require a Godly man, but your current boyfriend really doesn't meet that standard, nor your job standard, nor your (I'm just assuming you have the following standards - I hope so anyway) non-stalker standard, your non-manipulator standard, your self-responsibility standard, etc.

You are seeing the life you are in for if you spend any more time with him. The picture is very clear to you. He will rarely have a job and lose any that he gets quickly. He will expect you to be his mommy and cater to him. He will expect you to give him money. He will blame you and others for all the problems in his life. You won't be able to talk to him because he'll point the finger at you, and then shut the conversation down by saying God wants him to do this or that (which will be a big button that he will hammer on, since it clearly works on you). He will not be an involved father.

Are you allowing yourself to consider him only because you are afraid of being alone?

#116 ·
Do you want some words?

"This is not working out. It's over."

"It's just over. I could spend all day explaining why, but it doesn't matter. I don't want to continue this relationship, and that's all that matters. We're not married, and this is not working out, so it's over."

"You can say it's God's will that we be together, but I can say it's God's will that I'm breaking up with you. Goodbye."

"If you think I will be a loser without you, that's another good reason it's over."

"It's over."

"Don't call me."

#117 ·
I have an ex that is just like your guy except he can keep a job, we didn't have kids, and isn't godly. Everything else about him in your posts sounds like the same situation I was in. I changed my number multiple times, moved twice, and had to cut off many of my friends who helped him when he played victim. It will not be easy to get away from this guy. He will try to get back together, show up, call, etc. You will have to shut him down and not engage him at all. If you engage him at all he will think he has a shot at getting back together.

BTW my situation escalated into heavy verbal abuse and some physical stuff like restraining me. I have no doubt your situation might go there if you disagree and make him angry enough. It's not something you want for yourself, let alone your kids. He also still contacts me with a combination of love declarations and verbal assults regularly through IM, e-mail, etc. 10 years later.

If it helps I'm happy to provide you more details via PM.

#118 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Charlie's~Angel~ View Post

This guy talking about "Gods Plan" and "it was the Devil coming out in him" is code for "Im a lazy, emotionally abusive, narcisist who is going to stop at nothing to take advantage of you". The OPs quotes of some of the things hes said is downright creepy, and it would not surprise me one bit if his craziness begins to get violent when he doesn't get his way.

This sounds like a very scary individual, and I would run as fast as your legs can carry you and your CHILDREN. Because subjecting them to this craziness would be just, well, crazy.
This.

Darcy...I get the twisting things up part. I get the "making" you feel guilty (I think we're responsible for our own feelings, but I also know how good some people are at pushing buttons and twisting people into knots). I'll take your word for "gorgeous" as 1) I don't know what he looks like, and 2) there's a huge subjective element to that, anyway.

Can you tell me anything about why you find him sweet or Godly? I'm not a Christian, so being Godly isn't a requirement for me - actually, it would be a drawback in someone I was considering dating - but I'm also aware that it takes more than saying "I believe in God", "this is God's will" and "the Devil kept me from this job" to qualify as being Godly. He's all talk. And, you haven't said anything about thim that sounds sweet. He tells you he used to date models, and makes it clear that he thinks he's lowered his standards. He blames you (and his mother and the Devil, of course) for the fact that he couldn't get his lazy butt out of bed to go back to work. He tries to make you stay with him, by twisting your religious and spiritual beliefs into a weapon against you and claiming he knows what God wants you to do. He guilt trips. He's not sweet. He's really, really...icky. Just reading your posts makes my skin crawl, and I have to assume he has some serious charisma, based on the fact that you can even stand to be in the same room as him.

Do not make a life decision about who you will spend your time/life with, based on that person telling you that you have to. Just...don't.

ETA: I skimmed some of the early posts in this thread again. I forgot:

1) He's also a disgusting slob (and, this is coming from someone who is all over a current thread in TAO about dirty houses, talking about how uncomfortable I am in really clean homes).

2) He doesn't argue, because he doesn't have to - he manipulates you to get his own way, intead of getting angry, because he can't have his own way. It's really not any better. (My abusive ex never got mad. DH, very occasionally, does. DH is emotionally healthy and non-manipulative, though. My ex was neither.)

3) He's a major game player, all around. I'd forgotten about that sick "if you're not available to me 24/7, you're playing games, but don't expect me to get back to you right away, because that's not how I operate" crap. Ick. Ick. Ick.

#120 ·
Quote:

Ok well, he did weaseal his way back in. :( He said that God wants us to be together and we need to stick to God's will right now. ....
..... And I want to do what God wants me to do.
He's using your faith to manipulate you, which is the opposite of godly. IMO.

Why do you think he's in a position to know God's will and enforce that on you? And why do you think he knows better than you do?

You have put all the pieces together, you see him for what he is. It sounds from your posts like you have some fears and insecurities that are keeping you from truly leaving him. Is it the fear of being alone? Fear of not finding another man? Fear of another man not wanting you? Fear of being able to provide for your kids?

Will you please consider going to therapy to help you get some clarity on what is going on for you here? I think it could really help you have the confidence and self-respect to do what you already know needs to be done.

#121 ·
Maybe you should tell him that you know it's in God's plan for you to be with a good, honest, non-manipulative man that is at least trying to be gainfully employed. And that it must be the devil getting into him every time he tries to use your faith to manipulate you into something you know isn't in God's plan. Maybe I'm not qualified to comment as an atheist, but I don't see how any loving higher power would want you to be with a man who is manipulating you.

#122 ·
Well, I guess that's it then, you don't really have a choice. He's decided it and it's just going to be...whether you like it or not. He's got the direct line to God, so he knows exactly what God wants and you're (again) not good enough to know what God wants for you. Granted, you're not good enough for him, but that's beside the point.

All sarcasm aside, you deserve so much better.

Quote:

Ok well, he did weaseal his way back in. :( He said that God wants us to be together and we need to stick to God's will right now. He actually got MAD at me because I told him he needed to get up early that morning so he wouldn't get to his new job late and lose it!! He got angry and hung up on me!! When I got upset cause he got angry he called me later (never apologizing) and said the devil was working in me to get me to say that to him when he was at his lowest point. His lowest point? He put HIMSELF there. :( He was awake at 9:30am and I texted and said "Stay awake!!!" and he still went back to bed, woke at 11:30am and had time to get ready. His job didn't even start til 1pm each day. Then he gets there late anyway. And he said to me later that he was late BECAUSE - get this.......I called him at 11:30am and his mother called him to make sure he was awake and ready to go. We were trying to help him. :( That made me feel even worse cause he made it out to seem as though "I" got him even further behind.

He even said his alarm clock AND cell phone both didn't work that morning to wake him up. He said it's a freaky thing that they will both do this at times, but not consistently mind you. Because I was there with him on Saturday night, yeah spent the night (no sex though, remembering he is WAITING) and we woke just fine from a very LOUD alarm clock, snooze worked and everything and his cell phone worked, snooze on it and everything. I don't want to think he lies to me but I don't know what else to do. He makes me feel like if we don't keep dating he will make me out to feel like the loser for losing him. I think about how absolutely gorgeous he is and sweet and Godly which is what I really want, but then all this other stuff clouds all the good stuff and I just end up confused again.

He knew he had to be at work at 1pm that day. He had a 45 minute drive to get there. Why couldn't he stay up all morning and get there on time!!!!! They gave him a whole freaking week off work to rest and recoup when the other employees that had been working there for years probably wondered what they heck!?!

#123 ·
The guy that I mentioned earlier who was so emotionally abusive to me...he was super religious too. He gave me an engraved bible for my birthday and always wanted for me to read passages to him from it. The main reason I broke up with him was because he would drink and drive every single weekend. He liked to talk about demons and exorcisms, etc. When I broke up with him, he'd show up drunk to my house and then guilt me by saying that he was too drunk to drive. At first, I would let him sleep on the couch, but he always tried to come to my bedroom in the middle of the night. I let guilt keep him around for a long time.

Finally, I had to stop opening the door, even when he was out there saying that he was too drunk to drive. He was using my own dislike of his drinking and driving to manipulate his way into my life by drinking and driving...how weird is that? He would have used God if I were at all religious, but he was still able to find my guilt spot. It finally had to stop being my problem. I told him that I needed time to think things through and that maybe we would get back together in January (?) He went for it (whenever he tried to call, I told him that January was when I'd talk to him...I think it was November at the time) and by the time January came, I had my mind cleared and wasn't even affected by his antics...so much so that he only tried once or twice and gave up.

You're a smart, kind woman. Nobody deserves to be manipulated like he's doing to you. He's gaslighting you and using your faith against you. He's acting like he's Godly and you're not, when in truth, he doesn't know anything about anything except how to turn facts around to avoid responsibility.

#124 ·
What kind of Godly man would:

* abuse his sister in Christ, God's beloved, in this manner?

* lie to you?

* not take responsibility for his own actions?

* make you responsible for emotionally shouldering his burdens, when he will offer no real committment or partnership in return?

* tell you to listen to his words rather than give you space to listen to your own heart and God speaking to you?

What does your pastor say about this?

Please don't blame God for your choice to be involved with this person.

#125 ·
Maybe God is trying to tell you something by leading you into a relationship with a guy who looks perfect on the outside, but on the inside is the epitome of bad for you and your family? We all need to rely on that something strong inside of ourselves, whether it's faith, personal power, art, whatever it is for each of us personally. If you believe that you need a relationship (no matter how bad) to be whole, you are NOT relying on God, not trusting in God's will. Maybe God is trying to show you that this kind of thinking is the wrong path for you. I mean, he looks good, in a superficial, candy kind of way, right? You mention the long hair, how he TALKS like a Christian. But when you get beneath the surface, he's almost like a parody of a bad husband. Maybe God's trying to tell you to step up and stop looking for candy, kwim? It's what's inside that makes the kind of partnership that satisfies spiritually, emotionally, physically, and supports us in making something beautiful out of our lives! Take the time to polish what's inside of YOU, what you have to offer as a partner! Ask God what he wants for your kids. I promise you that if you are putting their health and happiness at risk, you are not doing what God wants you to do. When you take the time to build yourself from the inside, you will meet the kind of man you and your kids deserve.

#126 ·
Notice how after you broke up with him, everyone warned you that he would want to get back together? That's because they KNOW THIS PATTERN. These guys don't like to let anyone go--even though you are such a "crappy girlfriend" or some such. If you are so crappy, why does he want to hang on so much?

I dated someone for 8 months that was similar to this guy. Broke up with him, he freaked out, wrote nasty stuff, physically intimidated me (no touch--it's hard to describe), mentioned suicide, etc. He got back in after a few weeks of good behavior. I let him back in. Good for awhile. Then worse. All of a sudden I was just taking from him and didn't do enough. Broke up again. Then tried to be friends. He would be nice and I would start falling for him. Then he would get nasty, I would retreat and he would pursue.

When I tried to set reasonable boundaries, I would be verbally attacked. I finally was able to break it off completely. How? NO CONTACT. I tried to reduce contact but he attacked my integrity and all kinds of stuff. More suicide threats--last one when he dropped stuff off at my door. He stormed away with my kids watching. They didn't get the reference but that was enough for me.

His email is blocked. He still tries to call upon occasion. I don't doubt that he will keep trying when he gets in the mood. He has no respect for boundaries. Your guy is thinking of himself--not you or your children. Men that respect boundaries would let you go.

A friend of mine had the guy she was seeing commit suicide on her backporch. She and her kids came home and found the body.

So things may be okay for awhile, but we can all tell you things will get worse than they were before. When you have enough, go NO CONTACT. NO CONTACT=NO NEW HURTS.

I know that there is something there that draws you in. Try not to focus on the good with this man. Focus on the bad and ask if you want your children to be treated as you are being treated. Ask if you want them to see you being treated this way. Keep your kids in the very front of your mind. That will help power you.

Much love to you and yours. :hug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.