Happy Valentine's Day! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

I know V-day can totally suck because of all the hype.  (Though really...this is my second since the separation/divorce and they're much better alone than with low/no expectations!!)

So, let's do a happy thread!  Nothing to do with romantic love. 

My little Valentine is 4 yrs old and had crazy curly hair and big blue eyes.  He woke me up with a kiss and "I like you Mommy!"  Then he made me a Valentine with one of the leftovers from his preschool Valentines. 

Oh, and I got my own chocolate last week.  :) 

Who is your Valentine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm spending the day with my 2 Valentines (who just got haircuts and seem to have aged several years!) at the Science Center Homeschool Day love.gif

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#3 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm Valentine-free and loving it.  My dd, who's nine, sent me a text message last night saying happy valentine's day, which was very sweet.  She's making chocolate at girl scouts today, which I'm assuming is coming to me. :p

I'm going to schedule a massage for myself, and I'm getting us takeout sushi for dinner tonight, so I don't have to cook.

#4 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 12:28 PM

Enjoying a very relaxed Valentine's Day with my sweet 4.5 year old and our adorable cat who is very happy to have us home after a very busy long weekend where we spent more time away than at home. DD has requested a shrimp supper so I am trying to figure out what to make.

joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif To all my fellow single mommas todayjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

#5 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 02:24 PM

Happy V-day to the single mamas!

I bought my own flowers this year (they are gorgeous), and I've got a Max & Ruby movie date with my little Valentine tonight.  ;-) 

Mama to DS (5)

#6 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 02:37 PM

i have a pile of juicy red strawberries to eat tonight!  yum.  gah, maybe i need some angel food cake and whipped cream to go with them. 

i'm also going to make a list of my accomplishments since last valentine's day, as suggested in this blog post (along with some other self-lovin' ideas):

http://www.alreadypretty.com/2011/02/the-greatest-love-of-all.html

i bought a magazine last night, so later on, i will probably be taking a bath with the magazine and a glass of wine.

i don't mind having no valentine.  i agree, it is better than having one big lump of a valentine who would never think of doing anything sweet for me.

#7 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 03:18 PM

last night my kids let me get a grand total of an hour's sleep, tops. then i had two midterms today. as i was walking out of the second wone (at which i kicked ass, thankyouverymuch) i got a call to come get my boy from school where he had puked. so really? not my best day ever. but i figure i'm the one who is supposed to love me best, right? so i'm my own valentine. i've done sweet little things for myself all day. good coffee, delicious lunch, quickly excusing myself and walking away from that tedious classmate before she could start one of her looong stories. tonight i'll have a bath. today i'm getting through all the crap i have to get through, but remembering to be gentle and affectionate with myself along the way.

happy valentine's day, me!

also, the other single gals at school and i are all palentines. we're pals, right? so all morning we were blowing each other kisses over our midterms and sending silly texts. because love is love, right?

so yeah, for a crappy day this has been a pretty good day.

#8 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 AM

I got some sweets for my kiddos and niece and a dozen roses for myself, we did some art and made valentines out of construction paper and paint and glue and went on a walk. It was nice. They had an overnight with their dad last night and I had a glass of wine and watched some old Grey's Anatomy with my sister. Today is my would-be 5 year wedding anniversary, and kids are having another overnight with their dad, so I scheduled a massage for myself and then will take a bath with epsom salts. Focusing on Gratitude instead of Self-Pity. Having to redirect myself sort of often, but I'm keeping on it.

hijab.gif Muslim convert attachment mama to 2, stepmama to 3 more. Married to a Warrior Spirit. 

"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." ~Mother Teresa of Calcutta

#9 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Thanks for playing along.  :)  It's hard not to get the giant neon reminder that you're not in a relationship this time of year.  Last year was tougher because I'd just moved out a few weeks before that and was still dealing with everything.  This year was pretty darn good.  DS had lots of fun at his preschool party and was all hyped on the excitement (and candy I'm sure!).  I didn't have anyone I felt was letting me down (again) when ~everyone else~ seemed to be getting spoiled.  (All holidays felt like that...but random people don't tend to know about my birthday and anniversary!)  I'm going to call this a win.  :) 

#10 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerCoasterMama View Post

I know V-day can totally suck because of all the hype.  (Though really...this is my second since the separation/divorce and they're much better alone than with low/no expectations!!)

So, let's do a happy thread!  Nothing to do with romantic love. 

My little Valentine is 4 yrs old and had crazy curly hair and big blue eyes.  He woke me up with a kiss and "I like you Mommy!"  Then he made me a Valentine with one of the leftovers from his preschool Valentines. 

Oh, and I got my own chocolate last week.  :) 

Who is your Valentine?

Your post sounds so much like me and my valentine.  We are also two years out, he is also 4 with big blue eyes and curly hair and he woke me up with the best hug ever!   Thanks for the reminder!

#11 of 11 Old 02-16-2011, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

aaaah good i am glad i am not the first poster.

i dont celebrate Vday. 

i have seen it kill cultures and put $$$s in corporations pockets which makes me v. unhappy (yeah seeing the hype of Vday in a few countries will do it for you). heck i am not even talking about romantic love. 

so i did nothing. 

however my 8 year old had a GRAND time. she described it as her best valentine ever. which makes it perfect for me :)

on my first V with ex when we first met he called me the most 'unromantic person' (not in a bad way) as i accepted his gifts of rose and chocolates but told him to never buy them for me again. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page