How do you find financial advice or professionals when you're a low income single mom? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What is your method/story?

I have a complicated situation with the ex. I want to be savvy about taxes and other financial matters too complicated to go into.....it might be worth my while to hire a CPA for an hour or two. Then there's the fact that professionals sometimes contradict each other. For instance when we split up and sold the house, there was a particular question for taxes that different professionals answered differently.

How do you educate yourself about financial literacy and who do you get to help you?

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 AM

I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say good luck to you!

I've had to do a lot of research on my own accord because there doesn't seem to be any kind of financial advice around here (Texas) for low income single moms. Thank god for the internet. I hope someone who does have some advice chimes in soon! :)

Elijah Mercury (7/2009), TTC #2 with my new soon to be DH! Tattooed, 29 year old cancer survivor! treehugger.gif

Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 PM

where i live there's a nonprofit that gives budgeting and other money management classes to poor people, i cornered their expert and got some answers that way. ceck around, see if anything similar is available to you.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:26 PM

If you're Christian, you can check out Dave Ramsey.  I took his course after my divorce and it changed my life.  There are usually counselors in your area that will meet with you for free or by donation to help you develop a plan and a budget.  They don't deal with tax questions though.

User Tag List