anyone's ex actually been sent to jail..... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-20-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Is this a standardised threat of all Judges or has anyone's ex or sbx actually ended up in jail for contempt/none payment of support etc? If jail time wasn't served, what was the punishment for not towing the line?

#2 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a few friends who do not receive child support and only one has had their ex go to jail because of it. Most of the time the fathers get away with it by just paying a tiny bit each month and it supposedly shows the court that they are trying.

And as far as punishment other than jail, I have no clue! Thankfully my ex is paying like he should so far...

Single mom to Claudia love.gif

#3 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 06:31 AM

My father actually went to jail for a few days every few years for refusing to pay child support.  This was back in the 1970's!

#4 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 09:17 AM

The judge has threatened it many times but seems to continue to give the man leeway at every hearing. False threats is the name of the game in court.

#5 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 10:11 AM

My ex spent time in jail when he stopped paying his first wife because she was denying him visitation. We are in CT. I imagine it differs by state.
#6 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

I wonder how long it wold be before I was put in jail if I stopped letting him see the kids......

#7 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 10:27 AM

Well, it's been over 7 years and he was over 75K in arrears.... nothing.  Not  even a slap on the wrist. 

#8 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 05:27 PM

My ex has been arrested several times for non-payment.  He wasn't picked up on the bench warrent for non-payment- it was just the charge they threw at him when stopped for some other offense.

The first few times he got someone to bond him out and that satisfied the purge.  The last time, nobody would post bail so they held him overnight and he plead poverty.  They let him go without any purge amount.  Apparently, you cannot hold someone in jail for non-payment of CS if they can't pay it.  That would harken back to debtors prison and is a form of cruel and unusual punishment.

#9 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 08:13 PM

My ex was never directly jailed, but he did have his driver's license suspended for non-payment of support.  A few months later, he was pulled over for speeding, the officer saw that he was driving on a suspended license, and arrested him for that.  

#10 of 13 Old 06-22-2011, 06:59 AM

A guy I went to high school with just recently went to jail for non-payment of C/S.  He was "only" $3,000 in arrears.  It does happen.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#11 of 13 Old 06-22-2011, 07:42 AM

Yep.  He went a few times over the past 10 years.  They just kept him until he could pay $500 bond to get out and that money was applied to his arrearages.  He went to court afterward and the process started, again. 

This only happened b/c with the oldest child, her mother got the child support prosecutor involved.  With me, the county wanted their money from TANF returned to them and so the support prosecutor involved herself.  At the time, he owed less than $2000 and had a history of flaking. 

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#12 of 13 Old 06-23-2011, 10:06 AM

They used to threaten with my ex all the time.

The one time that he did see the inside of a cell was he refused to provide bank statements and income tax reports to prove his income after saying he had no income. The Judge ordered, he refused (Claimed he was enacting the 5th ammendment LMAOOOOO, we live in Canada dude, not USA) and they tossed him in for 4 hours to think on it.

#13 of 13 Old 06-26-2011, 11:27 AM

My uncle was in jail for a while back in the 80s when he was behind because he was unemployed.  A friend's ex has effectively eliminated all of his visitation b/c he has an arrest warrant in our state - and he lives in another.  If he shows up to get the girls, he'll be put in jail - for about 15k of arrears, I believe.  So, no, not in jail, but as close as you can be, I think.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page