help please!!!! - Mothering Forums

Thread Tools
#1 of 5 Old 06-24-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
ckroth's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 So the father of my son who is 13 months ol is taking me to court to be added on the birth certificate and whats to change his name as well. Can they make me even if he gave me sole custody when he was 2 months old?

ckroth is offline  
Sponsored Links
#2 of 5 Old 06-24-2011, 07:13 PM
eggsandpancakes's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: under the covers
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

call a lawyer. Now. Most will do free consultations. There are some interesting situations where if you knew that he was the father, and refused to put his name on the birth certificate you could be in lots of trouble.

eggsandpancakes is offline  
#3 of 5 Old 06-24-2011, 11:25 PM
butterflylover's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd get some free consults with attorneys. I don't believe anyone can make you change your child's last name even if you put the father's name on the birth certificate. Not every culture uses the dad's last name. That is a personal decision. 

butterflylover is offline  
#4 of 5 Old 06-25-2011, 07:34 AM
lucifugous's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm no expert but my understanding is this: he can certainly take legal action, get on the birth cert, petition for visitation (and he'll get some sort of visitation if he has his shit together), but he can't do anything about the last name!!!

lucifugous is offline  
#5 of 5 Old 06-25-2011, 05:50 PM
One_Girl's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Is the custody agreement in writing from a court or did he just abandon you and your child?  If he abandoned the two of you then I think you need to get a lawyer and ask for phased in visitation with frequent visits at your home for several weeks then short frequent visits on his own before moving to the basic visitation recommendations that your state has laid out (or if your state doesn't have them the most basic plan your lawyer thinks you can get through).  You also need to press for child support dating back to the time of your child's birth and half of any medical costs incurred from the birth and after.  If the custody agreement was in writing he can still go back to ask that it be modified. 

One_Girl is offline  

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 18,569

39 members and 18,530 guests
agentofchaos , Averiesmomma17 , awill , bananabee , Bow , Deborah , dovergirl , easydoesit , Elia E. Villalobos , emmy526 , girlspn , greenemami , hillymum , IsaFrench , katelove , kathymuggle , Kelleybug , lhargrave89 , Lydia08 , Michele123 , Mirzam , moominmamma , MylittleTiger , NaturallyKait , NCIS4Ever2001 , profe , redsally , RollerCoasterMama , sciencemum , Shmootzi , Skippy918 , sren , superficial1 , TheChainedAngel , worthy , zebra15
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.