Simple Single Mama and couldn't be happier - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

3 years ago, my husband walked out on me, or rather, rode out on his bike. He was done, Said I changed too much. Bleck!!!!! I say....

Although I think I was shocked, I kinda expected it. We were more like roommates than a couple. I could take him leaving but our son is still adjusting.

I sat, cried some and then got busy. I sold what was left in our 3 bedroom home. If it wasn't nailed down, it was sold. Ex left me with OUR debt to cover but no worries. I grew up frugal and living in the country. I know how to survive with and on nothing. I made enough money to get us moved to another state and I took a job as a secretary at a hospital. Not the highest paying job but I have benefits for my son and myself and we are living ok. I have been making double payments towards debt and will be COMPLETELY free in 1 year. YIPPEEE!!!!

We are a basic little family. I rent right now because I can't afford anything else but that is ok too. Once the debt is gone, I can start saving for a little house I want to build. Can't wait for that.

I am into the beach, yoga and health (I lost over 124 lbs so far, and I ain't talking about the ex.), simple living. I make do with what I have, I love to re-use items to make something new. I am stashing away a few things for the "house" someday. Just found an old enamel kitchen table for $75...love, love, love!!!

We don't own much more--just some essentials in the kitchen, clothing, toys, bikes, vehicle and personal products. I lost a lot of items several years ago in a flood, mostly due to mold, so never really replaced much. We each sleep on a mattress on the floor and spend a lot of time just hanging out. We spend a lot of time at the beach. I mean, almost anytime we can. It's lovely. I am attempting to make a handmade quilt for myself. It is more about being patient and enjoying the process than the final product.

I try not to make my life to complicated. I like simple and easy. Can't wait to read more on these forums. My life is completely different from where I was 3 years ago, and I am very happy with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

That is a beautiful post.  Thank you.  You are truly inspiring.  There are a lot of us on this board, myself definitely included, who are waiting to get to the serene place you seem to have found. 

Old 06-28-2011, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I want to go live next door to you! Living near a beach with my three would be heaven!  By the way, I hand sewed a patchwork quilt (king sized) when in university and loved doing it. it's on my parents bed now. A very rewarding, relaxing experience. And when I say hand sewn, thats what I mean, needle and thread!!! Took me 3 years!! 

Old 06-28-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachyogi View Post

I am into the beach, yoga and health (I lost over 124 lbs so far, and I ain't talking about the ex.), simple living. I make do with what I have, I love to re-use items to make something new. I am stashing away a few things for the "house" someday. Just found an old enamel kitchen table for $75...love, love, love!!!

twins.gif

Single mom to Claudia love.gif

Old 06-28-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Please come visit. It took a lot of courage for me to move to the beach as the job market is not the greatest but I sacrifice in other areas. : )

When I say we live simple, we really do. I am lucky I have a garden going this year and we get 3-4 meals out of it a week, which helps. I also have stopped by anything that is processed or packaged. It's been a HUGE adjustment in eating but my son loves vegetables and fruits. Mostly, we just cut them up or steam them lightly and eat them. Lots of salads with grilled chicken too. I get the chicken from a farmer, who also has goats milk and cheese. YUM!!!!! I try to hang out my laundry, have just what we need to live, clothes, food, furniture, or otherwise and I try to find cheap or free things to do. With a beach nearby, it is pretty obvious what we do most. : )

Yes..completely hand sewn is my goal. I think it would be a fun project. I could do pieces and then sew it all together. I just want a crazy quilt. I have some bright pink, turqouise, ocean blue and lime green with some bright red. Very beachy but I don't have enough of anything in particular for a pattern, so I figure a crazy quilt will work.

Living at the beach is something I value. The town is smaller and gets a little touristy in the summer but beautiful in the winter time. I do have to wear nice work clothes to work but most of the time, I am in my beach gear. <3 <3 <3

I have always been a positive, happy person and that really helped me get through my divorce. NO ONE will make me sad or put me down. I am just me and I ain't changing that. : )

I walked away from everything we had worked for but I don't miss any of it.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Hi-  DS and I downsized greatly when I left the dang roommate a couple months ago. We have an apt but its not busting at the seams.  For most of our entertainment we wander out to the pool.  I did splurge and get a sofa and TV- HD hanging on the wall but other than that we have minimal clothes, and minimal stuff. 

I;m slowly working my way through the huge stash of crafts I have, and my sons passion is LEGO'S.

Things are so much calmer and quieter this way.  I was terrified of moving out but its been wonderful!

Now if I could just find a job other than being a substitute teacher... hummmm

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 07-03-2011, 09:54 PM

Thanks for sharing mama! Very inspiring, makes me want to go to the beach smile.gif
Old 07-03-2011, 09:57 PM

And congrats on losing the weight and continuing to get healthy! That's inspiring too, I've got 45 to go smile.gif
Old 07-04-2011, 11:42 AM

More like roommates than a couple, wow I can relate to that. I love your minimalist approach. I'm working towards paring my life down to the essentials, and every time I have to move it gets easier to let some things go.

Signatures are sooo mainstream.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:44 AM

bow.gif

What a great post. Thank you. And welcome to MDC.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
Old 07-05-2011, 08:32 PM

Awesome and empowering! Bravo to you!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks y'all. It's been a busy summer around here. Lots of beach time and riding bikes. I have also let go of another box of items. DS gave up 85% of this toys and I bought him 2 new Lego sets and he is so happy. So now he has Legos, his Cars, drawing items and his doggie. I love listening to him dig through Legos. I did buy a few things too. A nice loveseat/sleeper and a small tv...we watch a lot of movie and have family night with pizza. I also bought a very cool lamp, as I hate overheard lighting in apartments. : )  DS picked out a new sheet and comforter set. I set aside a little money to make our apartment a home. I am a little OCD, I like things to match. : )

I do splurge on little things for myself, like a pedicure every 2 weeks. I am on my feet ALOT and it's a stress relief for me. I also have my nails done. It's a Texas girl thang. : ) Other than that, life is pretty simple. I am enjoying this summer, first time in many, many years. : )

User Tag List