I'm irritable and taking it out on my son. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-28-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need to get this off my chest, as I feel a mixture of mama guilt and irritation.

I am going through many life changes right now. My fiance and I split end of May (we were together 9 years), I am looking for housing for ds and I, and starting a business as well! So the money is coming in but not quite flowing yet.

I am looking to buy because the mortgage would be significantly lower than rents in the area. It requires a chunk upfront though of course and I'm not seeing where that is..

Long story short, all this mixed with major sleep issues and I am IRRITABLE! This morning ds was crying, crying, crying cause he was tired and woke too early and I snapped and yelled at him. It's not the first time. Ah! Then I feel bad about snapping, see how he gets more clingy with me and just feel even worse. Then I get him down for a nap and he sleeps 1/2 hour :( he'll usually go at least 1.5 hours. So then I am more irritated.

He is with his nana now so I can work. He didn't really want to leave me it seemed. (they are in the house and we visit/nurse throughout the day so it's not like I'm away for 6 hours straight).

I don't want to be an impatient angry mother. I want to let the love through and be kind, patient, happy.

Looking for support, experience, strength, hope....:)

I wanted to add that I am doing alot to help myself. Going to therapy, meditation, some yoga/exercise, generally eating well, prayer, talking with friends, doing alot of work on my self esteem/patterns/beliefs, herbs and homeopathy, most of this is intertwined into the day. The only thing missing is SLEEP!

~Mama of a sweet baby boy 8/26/2010~

http://www.wildly-natural-skin-care.com
~Learn about naturally caring for your skin with the wild flair and passion of the green Earth~

#2 of 8 Old 07-28-2011, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Oh, man, I so understand.  It doesn't happen as often now that DD's 15 months old, but when she was younger and I was with her all the time, and she never napped without a huge battle, and she woke up all night long...I just would get really angry at her.  Actually, we both have colds right now (that's the worst!), and I definitely said some things to her last night that I wish I hadn't.  It's not an excuse, but sleep deprivation is real, it really does affect your moods and your ability to control what comes out of your mouth.  I just try to take full advantage of the times when I feel good and loving toward DD, try not to be arbitrary about my demands of her, and hope that things will balance out over time.  I'm pretty sure they will :)

P.S.  I had some similar stresses over job-searching, apartment searching, etc. when DD was first born.  We moved 4 times from the start of my pregnancy to when DD was 3 months old.  It was ROUGH.  Definitely doesn't help.

#3 of 8 Old 07-31-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I totally agree about sleep deprivation. Not a pretty thing at all!

It helps when I am mindful throughout the day. As hard as I try, it's almost like it's not possible when I'm totally exhausted. Walking out of the room is my best bet.

At least I can see that this too will pass.

~Learn about naturally caring for your skin with the wild flair and passion of the green Earth~

#4 of 8 Old 07-31-2011, 01:37 PM

you have a lot to deal with. single parenting is hard. i was a single parent to my first child from about 5 months pregnant until he was 9 years old. I'm married now but am a pseudo single parent a lot of the time since my dh is in the military and gone a lot. He is currently deployed for a year to Afghanistan and I just had a baby a week ago. So, I know how hard it is.

Sleep deprivation is a big thing. I am very grumpy if I don't get enough sleep. Unfortunately, sometimes there's nothing that can be done about it. I have found, like you, that if I can stay mindful I can deal with things better even when I am sleep-deprived. I'm not perfect, though. Sometimes I do things that I regret. I think everyone does so give yourself a break. You are doing the best you can and are probably doing a much better job than many, many parents.

Can you enlist your mom to help even more? Maybe squeeze a nap in during the day? I don't know what else to suggest because I know sometimes there's nothing that can be done except to get through the moments.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#5 of 8 Old 08-06-2011, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

It IS really hard!! My newest mantra is "this is the most important job I have to do right now" in reference to just being present with my son. What causes me much stress are the thoughts about all the other stuff I have to do. When I keep it in perspective it is so much better. I just really feel like my outbursts are unacceptable though!

The night time has been going a bit better. I partially nightweaned and that helped ALOT!

Quote:
You are doing the best you can and are probably doing a much better job than many, many parents.

Thank you so much! You are right, I am doing the best I can.

#6 of 8 Old 08-07-2011, 06:36 AM

I completely understand. I was just coming her to make a very similar post. I've been yelling at my kids way more than I ever want to admit. :( I feel awful for it. I'm tired, exhausted, and haven't had a break or any alone time since my X moved out in June. The X was supposed to take our oldest son (3.5yo) all day yesterday and for the night last night but instead he went to play cards at a friends house. So not only am I tired of dealing with everything by myself all the time I'm ticked off at the X and taking it out on my poor kids. I keep reminding myself that they aren't doing anything wrong, they didn't ask to be put in this situation, I am doing the best I can at the moment. It still sucks though. :( I hate yelling at my kids. I'm trying to do some deep breathing stuff and hope to start yoga soon. I also have an interview on Monday for a job that would allow me to take my kids to work with me (which is perfect b/c whatever I make wouldn't even be enough to pay a babysitter). At least its something. 

I'm just trying to breath and remember I'm doing the best I can. I hope it gets easier for everyone soon. I know there's a long adjustment period but man, this freaking sucks! 

SAH Mama to Cooper (3-9-08) and Sawyer (9-3-10).   
#7 of 8 Old 08-07-2011, 06:58 AM

It's hard to be a good parent under the best of circumstances, and it's impossible without any sleep. It's absolutely not your fault :)

#8 of 8 Old 08-07-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContentMama View Post

I just really feel like my outbursts are unacceptable though!

just the fact that you are aware of this says a lot about you. staying present with your kids can go a long way. i'm much more irritable and more likely to react badly if i am distracted. i have to consciously tell myself to focus on my kids sometimes. i get a daily email from www.enjoyparenting.com that helps me remember that ever day. i start out every morning reading it and it helps me refocus on what is really important.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page