DivorceCare? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Does anyone have experience with this (Christian) program?  The location I am considering has a support group for my kids as well.  Sounds like it might be a nice way for us to connect with other people in our situation.  I can get support from a variety of other groups, but the only support my kids get right now is from their counselor.  Any experience out there?

and then when we get to the ocean
we're gonna take a boat to the end of the world

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(forum crashing - formerly single mama here ;))..

I loved Divorce Care!  I went through the course on the advice of my therapist about 7 years ago.  I thought it was wonderful, and it really was a turning point for me in my recovery from divorce. I learned a lot, both from the course content and from the others in the group, and made some lasting friends as well.  Also, my kids were well cared for in their own program while I was there, so I felt I could concentrate on myself and my own needs while attending.  It is definitely Bible based and meant for Christians going through a divorce, so you may feel off put by some of the content if you don't lean in that direction.  All in all, I would highly recommend Divorce Care.  Good luck!

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
Old 08-23-2011, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I think we will go a couple of times and see what we think. I am hesitant about dragging the kids out yet another night during the week, but we need community right now!

Old 08-24-2011, 12:36 PM

I'd love to know how it goes, if you don't mind.  A DivorceCare group started up at a local church a couple weeks ago, but I talked myself out of going.  I've been wondering if I should have tried it out though. 

Mama to DS (5)

Old 08-25-2011, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

If we make it there I will post updates.   From what I have read about it, each class is self-contained, so you can join at any point.  I want to check it out because I really need more IRL support.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:24 PM

i'd love to know too. i've also looked into it, but have thusfar not taken the steps to actually get there!

Katie, mommy to Oliver (2007) and brand new Ava Estelle (2014)! 
Decluttering Challenge:  303/2014 items are gone!
$728 made from selling my "stuff"
(I've gotten rid of 3711 items over the last four years on this forum! Last years selling total: $456)
Old 09-04-2011, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Now I am thinking that I am going to wait on this.  Between the kids' activities, other support groups, and supervised visitation with STBX we are already out 3-4 nights a week, and I am a homebody!   I do plan to go in the future and will post when and if I get there.  :)

Old 09-08-2011, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)

I went to one last night, and it was really good. Really really good. I came home feeling very encouraged.

Living happily and embracing adventures.

User Tag List