child support changes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-14-2011, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm supposed to receive $411 per month in child support. I've only been receiving it for a few months, and I just recently tuned into the fact that the checks I'm getting actually add up to more like $453. I talked to the ex to see if he knew why, and he thought it was because he owed arrears..."and you need to get that fixed." Thing is, he *doesn't* owe arrears and I confirmed that with my lawyer.

The lawyer sent me a copy of the withholding order and said Ex needed to give it to his HR dept. and point out the part about no arrears being owed. I tell this to Ex and he again says it is my responsibility to get this issue corrected, and that his HR dept can't do anything about it...I need to contact the company who sends the support checks.

Anyway, I was just curious to see if anyone else has had a similar issue, and is it really up to me to correct a mistake neither I or my lawyer made?

Mama to DS (5)

#2 of 9 Old 09-14-2011, 09:14 PM

I am not in a state that has a third party send CS (I get it directly from ex - sometimes late, and recently one bounced check), so not much help.  But you said you confirmed amounts with your lawyer - can you ask about this?

Mom to two terrific kiddos, affirming every day that the Universe is unfolding as it should and all is well...

#3 of 9 Old 09-15-2011, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'll ask her about it next week...she's on vacation until then.  I'm just impatient winky.gif and thought someone here might know.

Mama to DS (5)

#4 of 9 Old 09-15-2011, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

If it involves HIS paycheck and HIS HR department, then I suppose it's his problem to fix.  It seems like he would at least look into it.

Mama to three crazy kids and one crazier dog.  biggrinbounce.gif

#5 of 9 Old 09-15-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floss&ferd View Post

If it involves HIS paycheck and HIS HR department, then I suppose it's his problem to fix.  It seems like he would at least look into it.

I agree!  Hey, if he wants to pay you more every month towards maintaining a home for your child, let him. 

#6 of 9 Old 09-15-2011, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I agree with the PPs that it's his issue.

I've done payroll before and often times the CS orders have an amount for different types of pay periods. For example pay x amount for monthly payroll, pay y for bi-weekly, pay z for semi monthly etc. It could be that is making it look like more but at the end of the year it will balance out.

#7 of 9 Old 09-15-2011, 03:41 PM

If I were in your shoes, I would tell your ex that it is not up to you to get it fixed and that you will do nothing.  If he wants the overpayment to stop, he will need to take care of it himself. 

Also, how often does your ex get paid?  If it is biweekly, the payroll dept. at his employer's could be misreading the order.  Again, that is not your issue, but his. 

#8 of 9 Old 09-15-2011, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I know with mine that it's a certain amount per WEEK, which gets multiplied by 52 and then divided by 12. If he were simply paying me by week, it would be a different amount each month depending on how many Fridays there were. So the average number is more than what I actually got when he was paying me directly, and more than what I factored into my budget. Could that be what's going on? 

Living happily and loving it!
#9 of 9 Old 09-16-2011, 06:43 AM

That seems to be a weird way to decide cs. I thought it was just a percentage of their check. I get 28 % of xh check every other friday.

I too think it is his problem and why worry about it at all. If he wants to pay you more let him. You alerted him of the situation ask your lawyer and let it be.

My ex is supposed to send me 483 every two weeks but sends 450- no idea why really but he does a ton extra for our kids- pays for all sports etc... so I can all but stay at home with the kids so we just sort of worked that out as ok.  At first I was upset but i am happy to get it at all.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page