What happens after you file? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm getting ready to do this and want to know what to expect. I have a million questions: how is it determined who stays in the house and who goes? How do expenses get divided in the interim? How is it determined where the kids are when?

I'm especially interested in hearing from people who separated when they were not financially independent and held the majority of childcare responsibilities.

This is so stressful.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 11:55 AM

If one person hasn't already moved out usually one person files for sole use of the property in order to force the other one out. There is also usually an interim order for expenses and parenting time until a permanent agreement is reached. But a lot depends on the state you are in. Sounds like you are doing this without a lawyer?

#3 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaRiordan View Post

If one person hasn't already moved out usually one person files for sole use of the property in order to force the other one out. There is also usually an interim order for expenses and parenting time until a permanent agreement is reached. But a lot depends on the state you are in. Sounds like you are doing this without a lawyer?

I'm definitely using a lawyer and am in the process of choosing one now. But I like to have an idea of what to expect and knowing a little about the process makes it easier to interview potential lawyers because I'm not completely overwhelmed with new information.

Does a lawyer or mediator help set up the interim order?

#4 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 PM

It depends on how amicable the separation is....you can come to some sort of agreement on your own (usually with the help of a lawyer), but if you don't agree then the court gets involved in the actual decisions.  Decisions re property and custody depend on state law....some states prefer 50-50 and some prefer sole custody.  If there is any disagreement, it helps to have proof of your historical role with the kids, etc.

Good luck and stay strong!

Mom to two terrific kiddos, affirming every day that the Universe is unfolding as it should and all is well...

#5 of 5 Old 09-27-2011, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Make sure you have copies of all important financial documents.  Including bills, taxes, etc.

Like pp, it really depends on how amicable everyone is.  

Mama to three crazy kids and one crazier dog.  biggrinbounce.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page