Visitation transportation question... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-29-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I moved from NY to MA to live with family because of an abusive father of my baby.  He filed for visitation.  He got Supervised Visitation, but the judge said I had to set it up and pay for the supervisor.  I got relocation granted and sole physical and legal custody.  Nothing was said about who would pay for travel expenses of each party.  Now, would that mean that HE has to pay for himself to get to the visitation center, or that he could somehow make me pay?  He's taking public transportation and the judge herself did tell him she doesn't care if it's a 5 1/2 hour each way train/bus trip for him.  I didn't think at the time to ask the judge about transportation and I really can't afford to pay for everything.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#2 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would call your atty but I don't think he can make you pay his travel expenses.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#3 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 07:06 AM

If it isn't in your order then don't worry about it. Just set up the visit at a place local to you and be there on time every time. It would be up to him to do the same.

#4 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 08:32 AM

Yeah, it seems the judge is making you pay for the supervision, and making him pay for the transportation.  Usually, I think the party who requires supervised visits has to pay for them, but due to the relocation she probably figured that this was a fair way to split the costs between parents.

#5 of 6 Old 10-01-2011, 10:03 PM

If the order doesn't specify it seems to me it would be hard for him to make you pay....though note he could seek a reconsideration after a few visits when he can document expenses and a pattern of participating in the visits.  You should document all your expenses and, as a PP said, be there on time every time in case he tries to make a case later...

Mom to two terrific kiddos, affirming every day that the Universe is unfolding as it should and all is well...

#6 of 6 Old 10-01-2011, 10:41 PM

OP I don't have any advice on the transportation as I have no experience with that. But I just wanted to say how happy I am to see you posting here on the Single Parents forum again, and how glad I am that you've made it back to MA to be close to your family. I've thought about you and your sons a lot and was really hoping that you would update sometime.

I'm also so glad to hear that you have a restraining order against your baby's father which is being respected. Please keep yourself safe and look into your rights and your baby's rights in re: these ridiculous "visits."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page