Can you use child support/alimony as 'income' when renting a place to live? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-19-2011, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This was (is) one of my big fears when deciding to leave and now that I have officially left.  Right now the children and I are in the marital home and H is elsewhere but I will not be able to refinance the home in my credit even if I was awarded it so I will need to rent somewhere.  I am currently looking for a job.  But having been a sahm for my entire marriage (17 yrs) it is rough.  Using the states child support calculator (which I know isn't exact but a general idea) I will be getting a decent amount of support.  And should get alimony.  Are you able to use this as income on a rental application? How does that all work? Do you need to be receiving it for awhile? Anything else I need to know?

Thank you!

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#2 of 9 Old 11-19-2011, 06:58 PM

I was able to use my cs as income, but I rented from a private party/individual rather than from a property management company or large apartment complex. I know on things like credit card app's, etc, you can list it but you don't have to and it says something like "list this income only if you want it considered for repayment purposes". 

It might just depend on the past experience of whoever you rent from, I would start asking around in your city. You may have to be able to prove that it's a reliable source of income, like if the cs/alimony will be directly deducted from his paycheck, I'm not sure.

Slightly off topic, but I think Colorado has an IDA program, I was just wishing I still lived there so I could use that because the state I'm in now doesn't. Might be worth looking into, depending on your circumstances. :)   http://cfed.org/programs/idas/directory_search/

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

#3 of 9 Old 11-21-2011, 08:30 PM

I do. I state how much I receive monthly, and what my anticipated working income will be.

#4 of 9 Old 11-23-2011, 04:16 AM

Yes, it can even be used on loan applications, as well. 

#5 of 9 Old 11-27-2011, 01:01 PM

This is one of my questions as well, right now H will be getting a short term appt, until further notice, I plan to return to school in the fall and should also get a decent amount from alimony/cs, enough to live on until alimony runs out in 2-3 years. Thanks for the info everyone.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#6 of 9 Old 11-28-2011, 05:33 AM

I know of a few friends of mine who use their C/S and alimony as income for loans and mortgages.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#7 of 9 Old 11-28-2011, 03:16 PM

List it IF it comes reliably and on time.  If it is not reliable, don't list it (because if you don't get it, you can't use it to pay rent, kwim?).

#8 of 9 Old 11-28-2011, 03:51 PM

I use it as income.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#9 of 9 Old 11-30-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page