HELP!!!!!!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-20-2011, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 3 and the father hasn't bought or done anything for him since he was 5 months old. I have been with my fiance for almost 3 years now and he has been the one to raise him and buy him the things he needs. I am getting married this coming year and would like to change the last name of my son to what mine will be after the marriage. he has a 1 year old brother by the guy he calls dad. and will all have the same last name except for him. "Is it possible for me to change my sons last name without his sperm donor having any part of this?" "Or am I going to have to deal with his crap?" I live in Oklahoma Help please?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 11-20-2011, 06:31 PM

In most cases you will have to deal with the biological father for a name change........ that said given the fact that the bio dad is not in the picture you can considering adoption giving fathering rights to your new hubby and during that process request the name change.

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#3 of 4 Old 11-21-2011, 01:14 AM

Unfortunately, most states require that the biological father agree to a name change.  If the father is that disconnected, perhaps he would be willing to relinquish his parental rights?

Mom to two terrific kiddos, affirming every day that the Universe is unfolding as it should and all is well...

#4 of 4 Old 11-21-2011, 05:26 AM

In my state (not OK), your fiancee would be able to legally adopt your son since his genetic father hasn't either contacted or given support in over a year. It's an either/or sort of circumstance here. It's considered abandonment. The genetic father has no say at the point. Again, that's not in OK,  I would consult a custody lawyer that is familiar with the laws of your state.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page