HELP!!!!!!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Thread Tools
#1 of 4 Old 11-20-2011, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
Dianakelly90's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

           My son is 3 and the father hasn't bought or done anything for him since he was 5 months old. I have been with my fiance for almost 3 years now and he has been the one to raise him and buy him the things he needs. I am getting married this coming year and would like to change the last name of my son to what mine will be after the marriage. he has a 1 year old brother by the guy he calls dad. and will all have the same last name except for him. "Is it possible for me to change my sons last name without his sperm donor having any part of this?" "Or am I going to have to deal with his crap?" I live in Oklahoma Help please?

Dianakelly90 is offline  
Sponsored Links
#2 of 4 Old 11-20-2011, 06:31 PM
LoveOhm's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In Writing Mode!
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In most cases you will have to deal with the biological father for a name change........ that said given the fact that the bio dad is not in the picture you can considering adoption giving fathering rights to your new hubby and during that process request the name change.

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
LoveOhm is offline  
#3 of 4 Old 11-21-2011, 01:14 AM
tccandlsccmom's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Unfortunately, most states require that the biological father agree to a name change.  If the father is that disconnected, perhaps he would be willing to relinquish his parental rights?

Mom to two terrific kiddos, affirming every day that the Universe is unfolding as it should and all is well...

tccandlsccmom is offline  
#4 of 4 Old 11-21-2011, 05:26 AM
MommyBecky's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Funkytown
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In my state (not OK), your fiancee would be able to legally adopt your son since his genetic father hasn't either contacted or given support in over a year. It's an either/or sort of circumstance here. It's considered abandonment. The genetic father has no say at the point. Again, that's not in OK,  I would consult a custody lawyer that is familiar with the laws of your state.

MommyBecky is offline  

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 13,090

20 members and 13,070 guests
anacrish , brucebrown , debigebi , Deborah , Drlalani2289 , hillymum , Katherine73 , Lea Martin , lisak1234 , MamaNika , moominmamma , MountainMamaGC , omarinbox1888 , RollerCoasterMama , rubelin , samaxtics , shantimama , Skippy918 , sren , transpecos
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.