How to discuss different values with child - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2012, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, so I find that the further we get into divorced life, the more differences in values keep cropping up. Everything from diet (they are primarily huge carnivores and fast food, I am leaning toward vegetarian/vegan), to entertainment (they are video games and movies, while I encourage reading, playing outdoors, and board games), and of course belief systems (they are atheist with a superficial amount of buddhism dusted on top, and I am spiritual, leaning toward world views, mostly buddhist and a christian background.)

So I pose this question openly about these broad topics because my family background is pretty homogenous, and I understand that my child is living in 2 separate households with such different beliefs. The problem for me is accepting the things about my son that come in conflict with my own values. To give an example, I am a very peaceful person. And when my son wants to pretend to shoot, kill and blow up his toys and friends I find I don't have the skills to address this with him. I find I want to explain to him what my beliefs are, what I want in my household, what values I want to impart to him. But then he gets feeling like he's in the middle. Dad buys violent video games for them to play, and I'm the one who doesn't want it in my home.

I don't need for this discussion to be about video games because I think the same conflict could be true for the other opposing issues. Yet, if you have any advice about speaking about the differences or about video game violence... I am grateful to any and all input you wish to provide me.

Much Thanks!

Tags
Single Parenting
User Tag List