how old was ur baby when they had overnights with dad? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I do attachment parenting (duh :P) and I can't remember how old my older girls were when they started having overnights away from home.

My APed boy is 18 months now, and spends about 3 or 4 hr.s max with his dad, before he wants to come home to nurse.

How old were your kids when they started having overnights with dad?

#2 of 7 Old 01-14-2012, 12:54 PM

We're not there yet, DS is 12 mo and hasn't had any overnights with dad. I'm interested to know when other mamas started this too!

#3 of 7 Old 01-14-2012, 05:59 PM

My DD is 14 months and hasn't done this yet.  I am planning to start THINKING about it around 2...but I met with a child psychologist after my Ex and I split up to get advice about overnights.  He said that it is a very delicate thing to handle because nighttime is such a vulnerable time for children (and adults!).  He said it all depended on what kind of child she was developing into (needy, independent, etc), and how much time my Ex put into bonding with her.  He said I would just know if it was appropriate to try or not....

#4 of 7 Old 01-16-2012, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoemily View Post

My DD is 14 months and hasn't done this yet.  I am planning to start THINKING about it around 2...but I met with a child psychologist after my Ex and I split up to get advice about overnights.  He said that it is a very delicate thing to handle because nighttime is such a vulnerable time for children (and adults!).  He said it all depended on what kind of child she was developing into (needy, independent, etc), and how much time my Ex put into bonding with her.  He said I would just know if it was appropriate to try or not....

It's ideal if both parents are child-focused enough to go along with such a plan.  But if a mother's being taken to court for visitation (IDK if the OP is, or not), the judge will likely want a more defined proposal from her; or will impose his own time-frame. 

I think my ex and I agreed to start overnights for our twins at age 4 (we split up when they were 2).

My state has reasonably progressive guidelines, as far as handling visitation differently for kids of different ages.  They recommend no overnights before age 3 unless the baby/toddler was accustomed to them before the parents went to court: http://www.in.gov/judiciary/rules/parenting/index.html (read Section II, parts A & B)

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
#5 of 7 Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 AM

I'm not going through any court stuff for visitation.  My ex has been pretty good agreeing to let me take the lead on deciding when DD is ready or not, since we broke up when she was 5 months and he didn't do any of the parenting before that either.  I'm lucky that my relationship with my ex is very amicable (now...it took a while) and so he recognizes I'm not trying to keep DD away from him, just trying to make the best decisions for her at the right times.

#6 of 7 Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 AM

...you are all so lucky to even have the option of having over nights...my sons have met dad as many times as I have fingers.

#7 of 7 Old 01-16-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies. No, we are not going through the court system, thank goodness.

Tags
Single , Single Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page