Moving an hour away? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-27-2012, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am still married, but I have made the decision to leave my husband. I have spent agonizing months trying to find a place to move to, but I live in a rural area that is very low on rental houses, and I don't make very much money. After spending nine months (and the last three months I have been working VERY hard) to try to find a place around here, I have given up. I found ONE house in all that time, but it was too expensive for my budget. (staying put is not an option, my mother in law owns our house)

So I have decided to go to college (for the first time.) I have made my plans, turned in my applications, and I am still waiting to hear back. I have not told my husband any of these plans. The college is 1 hour away (in the same state, and I plan to live in family housing. I have two children, ages 4 and 6.

Can I expect a problem, legally, from moving an hour car ride away, and having the kids switch schools? I've been working up plans and I am more than willing to meet him halfway to change the kids from my custody to his. I'm just afraid he can put up a fuss and stop me from leaving with the kids if I am going such a distance away.

(No, I have not spoken to a lawyer yet. I'm still keeping everything under wraps until I hear back from the college, nail down finacial aid, and get into family housing....a lot of what ifs going on here.)

#2 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 01:34 PM

An hour isn't so far, but you need to speak with a lawyer. You can speak with one without telling your husband, and it is a good idea to keep it under wraps until after you do speak with a lawyer.
#3 of 6 Old 03-30-2012, 06:08 PM

I know that, at least in California, if there is no court order, you can go wherever you want. An hour isn't far. When I first left my husband, I moved the kids and I to my friends' mountain property and we were about 2 hours from where my husband moved to. He now lives about an hour away from where I live now.

Disabled queer mama to one preteen, one teenager, 5 cats, 7 chickens, & 1 dog

...granola punk urban homesteaders...

homeschool.gifautismribbon.gif

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay... small acts of kindness and love."

-Gandalf, The Hobbit

#4 of 6 Old 04-01-2012, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I would meet with an atty.  Since you are the one 'leaving' and you are planning on living in 'family housing' your STBX could be viewed as the one having a more stable household.

Most atty's give a free consult.

ETA: I just realized this is almost 4 months old... any updates?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 6 Old 04-10-2012, 04:36 PM

Hi Penelope!

I moved an hour away here in Florida is a 50 mile limit to move without the other parent concentrate or court approved.

Check out http://forum.freeadvice.com/ they are very good answering and you have to enter your stateu
#6 of 6 Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Oh thank you all! The update is that my husband is okay with me and the kids moving away. We have decided to seperate for now, and re-evaluate later. By that time, the kids will be settled in their new school and in our new house, so whatever happens later, the initial move will have happened with his approval and permission. So I think I'm good to go!

Tags
Single Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page