What are ways to fight mothering fatigue? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-11-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know taking care of small children is tasking and it is somewhat normal to feel tired.
I lhave only one, a very active 3 year old with a very short attention Span.
He sleeps only from 10 to 7, no naps
I don't have any family close by and my friends are just too busy with their own lives.
I have somehow been unsucessful in making single mom friends I can click with. I keep on trying.

So, i get up at 7, do my things and keeping him entertained, by 3 pm I am exhausted.
What are things you do to meals it easier?

Somet things that have help so far:

He gets up at 7, I don't, he doesn't like it a bit, but I lazy around in bed till 7:30 sometimes 7:40.
He plays around the bed, occasionally begging me to get up: get up, mommy! Wake up mommy, come on mommy, follow me!

Playdoh, reading and tv are activities he can do for 10-15 min without my intervention, while I sit down and breathe and maybe even read a bit.

Any other ideas?

Today I had to run several errands, I think getting him in and out of the seatbelt tires me out... I have his seat in the middle, and it makes it tough for me to reach, but I think it's safer. Plus, reinforcing for him to behave as needed for the place: the bank, the grocery store, the dollar store and the pharmacy. Bookstore, parks and the beach are of course easier. Even the coffee shop he has down packed.

I have to admit it has gotten easier as he grows up, look at me writing a post before bedtime!
But I am still very tired, sometimes praying for bedtime so we can both crash.

Any words of advice, tricks, tips and or encouragement!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-13-2012, 04:04 PM

None here but I am following along looking for suggestions.

I am a single working Mum of 3. My kids ar 18, 10 and 2.5 and the 2.5 exhausts me. And she naps at daycare still (they all do) and I am just falling down exhausted by 8:30 but she is still going until 10

#3 of 5 Old 02-16-2012, 03:13 PM

It sounds like a community around you would be really helpful. Can you look into mothering meetup group? Or even a mother's day out program? Depending on where you live, you may be able to find a low-cost co-op preschool.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#4 of 5 Old 02-18-2012, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Do you have the finances to allow for something like the YMCA?  My kids and I have been members for a few years now because they love the classes(swim, dance, etc) and they even love goign to the daycare to play with their friends while I work out.  It gives me time to clear my head and exhaust my negativity when I get frustrated while they are safe in daycare playing with friends.  All the workers there know them/us and greet them warmly.  They know all the regular kids there and are friends with most of them.  I felt bad about taking them to daycare right after they get out of school just so I can work out until I realized that most days it was them asking to go.  If I try to take a night off that we typically go, they get upset with me because they enjoy it.  And it's much more feasible financially for us because the Y offers financial assistance for tuition.  Not only do we pay only half the typical monthly membership fee but we get one class per kid per session at 50% tuition which is HUGE when you have 3 kids.  It makes the classes much more affordable.  It would be enough to just get a little while to myself when I needed it but then there's the swim classes that I can put them in to exhaust them that make it even better.  I'm not big on competition or sports for little kids so we stay away from t-ball and soccer and things like that.  But dance class or swim class is just enough for fun body-moving and socialization while tiring them out just enough to make their active sides more manageable.  I personally get cranky when I can't get out for a run for a few days so I'm sure my kids are the same way.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#5 of 5 Old 02-18-2012, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Oh and my youngest is 4 and she's been going to the Y since she was about 1?  She loves it.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Tags
Single Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page