Do I give the kids a heads-up about their dog? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So last year ex took the kids to the shelter and let them pick out a dog. Now he's saying he doesn't have time for the dog and has found a better home for him. This is pretty much true because his job has gotten crazier, and he started a 2nd job. But he did have a pretty good idea that was all going to happen..... and he got the dog anyway. 

The kids aren't super-attached to the dog since they hardly see him... they haven't had regular weekends with their dad in a while. But dd found a dog obedience book at the library, read it, and had been training him whenever she went there. Her interest in this has waned the past few times, but still, they really love him. I absolutely would have taken the dog if I could, but that's simply not an option right now. (Or even in the near future, otherwise I would've asked family to keep him until I could. Not possible.)

So he has a new home with some friends of ex's, and he spent a few days there, gets along great with them and their dog.... and ex wants to be the one to tell the kids when they go there this weekend. He'll have the dog there again this weekend so the kids can see him one last time.

I have a feeling dd will take it very hard and I really want to at least hint at the idea that the dog deserves better than what ex can give him. To soften the blow. Ds will just be confused, because as far as he's concerned a pet=family member. I hate knowing that they might come home Sunday afternoon heart-broken.

Should I just let ex tell them? Should I tell them before they go? Should I throw out a little "poor Georgie, Daddy's job is so busy that he doesn't get to play much anymore!" type of thing? WWYD?

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 01:12 AM

I would keep my mouth shut and let ex tell them. He wants to be the one that tells them and honestly I wouldn't want to be the messenger that gets shot.

It's complicated.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:36 AM

I agree, let him tell them. 

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

Tags
Single Parenting
User Tag List