Looking ahead-- my role as a mom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK so overall I"m trying to reorient myself with where I'm at as a parent, and where my child is at in development. I remember years ago before he was born being able to read lots of books for suggestions. Now it's fly by the seat of my pants, and most days I"m not as close to where I want to be.  I wish I was more playful, more patient, more able to connect with where he is at. To be better able to explain to him what it is he needs to understand to help our schedule run more smoothly. I either find that I'm doing it all for him in the sake of time or I'm trying to help him figure it out or just letting him figure it out on his own... None of these really result in success.

But what really got me was last night on desperate housewives when MJ didn't want his mom to build him a gokart or be in the race with him because it was a father-son event. Susan then had the neighborhood guys come over and help him. But I kind of like the message that she was giving him originally that she could (and did) do it. ANd while it's a tv show, and his dad is dead... I want to know if it makes a difference for kids to have gender related activities be reinforced... what do they need. Yes, I get that boys need male role models, and schools have very few of them aside from the jock gym teacher.  

Lots of thoughts passing through my mind. Overall looking for a conversation of sorting out these and other parenting questions because I don't have someone to coparent with.

#2 of 3 Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

I don't usually watch Desperate Housewives but somehow saw that bit about the go-cart with my son sitting there.   He couldn't believe that he kid wrecked that thing on purpose and didn't understand at all why it mattered that his mom built it!   

I've always done some of the typical male role model stuff with my ds even when his dad still lived here.  So for him, it's not that big of a deal.   I play baseball, basketball  and take him fishing much more often than his dad has ever done.   He helps me with home repairs and yard work.  But once again, I did a lot of the stereotypical man chores to start with so it is just normal.   

I've always big tomboy growing-up so I enjoy my son immensely!  

He does see his dad regularly.   And my dad just moved a few blocks from me plus his uncles so we pretty much have the male role model thing covered.  

Mama to three crazy kids and one crazier dog.  biggrinbounce.gif

#3 of 3 Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I think it's important for kids to have lots of family/community in their lives to love them and teach them all sorts of things, AND I think contemporary gender roles are rubbish. My XH is a video game producer, chef, writer, fashion lover, loves shopping, clothes, housewares, etc. I do home improvement/repairs, build furniture, mow the lawn, etc. (and am also a fashion designer/seamstress) My parents had 2 girls and they taught us to be people not just girls.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)

Tags
Single Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page