Trucking along, becoming a single mom, looking for a job ugh! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-16-2012, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I am working toward this new life, I am looking for a job, the divorce is already filed, I am letting go of pretty much everything I believed in as a parent. I am just wondering how will I make it through this and survive, I am so nerve racked I will not find a job in time, and my credit will be destroyed, the stbx will get us out of the house and I will have no where to turn. As of now I am trying desperately to land a job in the schools, I am applying to all the local schools and now in the past few days have started applying to schools 30 miles away. I really wanted the school hours, to get experience in the school system, I  have a BA in English and I am contemplating getting a teaching license so getting into the school setting would really help me make that decision.

The money is dwindling fast and the D will not take long, stbx is being pretty complacent, but the job! I need is not here yet. I am in the process of cutting back, because I don't know what else to do atm. At least the finances are in okay shape, but the savings will go fast if I don't get a job, move out, preferably both.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#2 of 8 Old 07-17-2012, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post

So I am working toward this new life, I am looking for a job, the divorce is already filed, I am letting go of pretty much everything I believed in as a parent. I am just wondering how will I make it through this and survive, I am so nerve racked I will not find a job in time, and my credit will be destroyed, the stbx will get us out of the house and I will have no where to turn. As of now I am trying desperately to land a job in the schools, I am applying to all the local schools and now in the past few days have started applying to schools 30 miles away. I really wanted the school hours, to get experience in the school system, I  have a BA in English and I am contemplating getting a teaching license so getting into the school setting would really help me make that decision.

The money is dwindling fast and the D will not take long, stbx is being pretty complacent, but the job! I need is not here yet. I am in the process of cutting back, because I don't know what else to do atm. At least the finances are in okay shape, but the savings will go fast if I don't get a job, move out, preferably both.

You sound very motivated! It sounds like you need to expand your job target. In the meantime, you could post some private tutor ads around - advertise even for skills that you may not feel proficient at (eg. Math, Science) because this time of year parents may be looking at maintaining their child's general education knowledge over the summer. Or you could just advertise as a tutor for creative writing, English, English as a second laguage, grammar, essay writing, etc.

As for how to expand your job target.... How old are your kids? There are tons of high school kids that would love an after school babysitting job if you have to work outside or beyond those hours. Get the job and you'll figure out childcare. In that stream of thought, if you don't have anything by the time school starts, perhaps you could advertise beforeschool and afterschool care in your home. Maybe you'll have to get a job outside of a school during the day and then do private tutoring in your home or theirs a few evenings a week, which is great experience for teachers-to-be. Colleges have great jobs, which are likely regular hours. I have a friend who is a grant finder (or something like that) at her local university and loves it. She has a BA in English.

I don't know if any of that helps, but I hope it triggers some ideas. Good luck! You can do it!

#3 of 8 Old 07-23-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post

I am letting go of pretty much everything I believed in as a parent. I am just wondering how will I make it through this and survive[...]

I feel this way as well... I know we will both get through things!!! It's insane how quickly your life can change when one person leaves. 

My blog at www.rememberbaby.wordpress.com, filled with letters to my little one starting from 5 weeks pregnant until now!

stork-boy.gif September 30th, 2012 Nicolas Cobourne

computergeek2.gifslingboy.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gifphotosmile2.gifsigncirc1.gifhomeschool.gif

#4 of 8 Old 07-24-2012, 09:25 AM

Look for proofreading/textbook company jobs. Also, a friend of mine tutors online for English - his company requires a Master's degree/teaching experience, but there may be others that do online tutoring that would work with a BA. I have a BA in English too and am about to start a Masters degree in Written Comm/Teaching of Writing, so that I can teach basic comp classes at the college level. It's a two year program and I've got an assistantship that pays tuition plus a small stipend, and in the end I'll be able to hopefully have more say in when/where I work. I mention this only because it might be worth looking into - teaching college instead of h.s. and sometimes you can find quite a bit of support through a University.

(sort of) single mama to one hearts.gif7/21/07. student, breastfeeding advocate, writer 

#5 of 8 Old 07-29-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone, almost 2 weeks past, i got a tiny 2 hour a week side job at a church in the nursery, I just started today and the kids can tag along. Monthly it will pay my water/trash so while it isn't the big job i was hoping for it is a little extra cash in my pocket.

Temp orders went through a little over a week ago, the next month or two the divorce will probably final. I will probably get a small cash settlement, but as of now all i have is 2000$ in my bank account and waiting for my first support payments to start in august. I will be getting a decent sum but still not enough for all the bill on this massive house. I keep telling myself it will all fall into place soon.

Off to check for some proofreading jobs!

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#6 of 8 Old 07-30-2012, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Is the house really worth keeping if it is too large for you?

#7 of 8 Old 08-02-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

no it is not, the only way i could keep it is if i get a really decent salary like 30K a year. Most the jobs I have been actually able to get in for an interview are more around 18K. I am applying as much as I can mentally it truly has become my fulltime job. My son will have to switch schools if I move,  i cannot afford to stay in this elementary school. My lawyer advised me to not sign any leases right now so I am just kind of stuck here for the time being. Stbx has not paid cs/ss for the month of august as of yet. At this rate I  may see it by the 15th if I am lucky after it is all processed and disbursed. I could allow him to pay me in cash for only a one time deal, but he has yet to do that.

I had an interview at a daycare yesterday and I have another interview on wednesday, probably another 10$/hr job but if it seems like a right fit I am going to take it. They so far seemed pretty accomodating as far as working around my schedule so I am hoping that I like it there and get the job. Another preschool/daycare position, but I think that that must be where the demand is, and it is the only thing I really have years of experience in so, I may just be destined to work in daycare again.

#8 of 8 Old 08-03-2012, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a BA in English, and I am a waitress.  He got the house and I live in a duplex.  I do a bit of freelance medical writing on the side, trying to spin that in to a career.  The kids start school this fall, I'm giving up homeschooling.  But it is soooo much better than being married!  Hang in there!

TSomm likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page