Not enough energy for my little guy :( - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-12-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I know this is just a phase, but i am being challenged by keeping my little one entertained without it being a 24hr work out.

My little guy is the most awesome 4 year old. Lately there are only two things he wants to do: Watch cartoons and physical play. No coloring, crafts, play doh, reading, puzzles,helping me with shores, nothing. He used to love all these, but lately, nothing.

He will happily watch cartoon videos.

If I invite him to play, he wants me to be the playmate and it is alwats very phisical. Jumping, climbing, climbing me, running, jumping.

Doing playdates helps me get a breather, but when we are alone I get exhausted! Besides it makes it difficult for me to do my house shores, answer the phone, or anything else really.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

#2 of 5 Old 08-13-2012, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
How old is he? I have three extremely active boys and I remember how tough it was with my first before his brother got old enough and I was pretty much on my own. Hang in there!

Here are a few ideas:

- set up an obstacle course in your home or living room.
- like obstacle course, time things - like time how long it takes him to run up and down the stairs ten times and each time see if he can beat his record. You could even have an ongoing log to chart progress and have fun trying to beat the record. Also on bad days you can fudge the time to help cheer him up smile.gif
- play find it / touch it games. Say 'go touch something green!'. Or say 'find something round!' and he needs to bring it to you. The trick with the find it game is to also have him return it to where he got it from.

You might also want to try asking this on the parenting boards, whichever fits his age. You'll find more age-related parents there.

Good luck!
#3 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 10:53 AM

I'm in a similar boat with my 20 month old; glad you asked this question!

#4 of 5 Old 08-28-2012, 10:37 PM

Oh goodness, I can only imagine! Boys are much more physically active a lot of the time than little girls. Have you considered organizing play dates with other friends his age? Or even a mom's day out program through a local organization or church? Just make sure they do background checks and that he is comfortable before putting him in such a program. Also, my little one loves going to the park; it's free and there is ample space to run around and use up all that energy! Plus, he may find a buddy to play with at the park, if you're okay with that, of course. :) 

#5 of 5 Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No help, but I don't have the energy to keep up with all the needs of my 6 and 9 year old.  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page