Mothering Forum banner

Dating - How do I reject a grown man without getting insulted?

689 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Mama Soltera 
#1 ·
When a guy tries to talk to me and I dont like them I either ignore them or say "No, thanks" "I really want to be alone" "I dont want to talk" "Thank you for offering, but I dont think it is a good idea" and things like that.

More often than not they get very offended, call me rude, arrogant, flirt and go away angry. One called me the B word...???

I think the problem is them, not being able to take rejection gratiously.

But I decided to ask, maybe there is a better way?

#2 ·
No thanks is typically the best answer, and if they aren't mature enough to respect that and walk away. Um, run! lol Obviously they aren't right in the head and have anger issues, etc.

You have every right to turn down a date, and don't ever let anyone make you feel otherwise.

#3 ·
Wow - I am in a situation similar. I went to look at a rental house in a nearby town that is owned by a friend of a friend. I saw the house with my friend and the male owner - said he was going to do some work on it, like replacing the floors & it would take some time. Two days later he called me on my cell and asked me to dinner - yuck!!!

#5 ·
I would say your taste and your instincts are clearly spot on. Who would ever want to be with a man who would do something like that? That said, maybe there's a nicer way to say it that wouldn't put them so much on the defense? It's a thin line and it can be hard to find the balance between being so nice about it (which in their mind means "yes" or "probably") and being rude. I try to be firm but kind and find the happy medium. Maybe you can experiment with that a little? Sorry you've had to deal with that though. Yuck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.