What to do when your kid is bored - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-05-2012, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When kids are bored, what is the best thing to do? I've seen kids who can't play sports because they have a disability. What else is there for them to do?

#2 of 6 Old 09-05-2012, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

When my L is bored I get something down from the sometimes cabinet...duplo blocks..a new book or a cool coloring sheet off the net..Usually takes care of it..:))

#3 of 6 Old 09-05-2012, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know what the "best" thing to do is, but I don't really see boredom as a problem that needs to be solved by me. We have books and art supplies and yards and musical instruments.

#4 of 6 Old 09-05-2012, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Being bored isn't something for me to solve.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 6 Old 09-06-2012, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Boredom has to be preempted by providing children with access to toys, outdoor time and trips to the public library. Very small children are hard to bore, since they will play with anything. Including children in household responsibilities is a good way to preempt boredom, too. 

This is the single parent forum--is the question how to afford the time and money for toys, books and outdoor time, or did you just post at random? 

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#6 of 6 Old 09-15-2012, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

when a child is young it is easy for a parent to deal with a bored child.

but as they grow older than the parents involvement becomes critical.

esp. if you have an only child. single parenting is really really hard on an only child. 

that's why other kids in the neighborhood becomes critical for them. 

dd is 10. she gets bored doing the same thing over and over again. she gets tired of doing one thing too often. like books or tv, even the library. 

moving to a neighborhood with other kids with whom she gets along (last night the mom and i were talking and we commented how she has gained a dd and i have gained two more dd's) has been a lifesaver. they are good kids and the kids are basically living in each others houses. 

as a parent i feel my job towards my bored child is to provide her with access to a variety of activities including social. activities that will involve all the senses. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page