Another Poll on Single Mama Dating (Please respond if you're not dating too!) - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Are you a single (or completely solo) mother and how often do you date?
I'm a single mom with 1 or 2 kids (ex has regular time with the kids) and I have never dated 4 12.50%
I'm a single mom with 1 or 2 kids (ex has regular time w/kids) and I have dated a little 2 6.25%
I'm a single mom with 1 or 2 kids (ex has regular time w/kids) and I have dated moderately 7 21.88%
I'm a single mom with 1 or 2 kids (ex has regular time with kids) and I have dated a lot 1 3.13%
I'm a single mom with 3 or more kids (ex has regular time w/kids) and I have never dated 2 6.25%
'm a single mom with 3 or more kids (ex has regular time w/kids) and I have dated a little 1 3.13%
I'm a single mom with 3 or more kids (ex has regular time w/kids) and I have dated moderately 1 3.13%
I'm a single mom with 3 or more kids (ex has regular time with kids) and I have dated a lot 0 0%
I'm a solo mom with 1 or 2 kids and I have never dated 7 21.88%
I'm a solo mom with 1 or 2 kids and I have dated a little 2 6.25%
I'm a solo mom with 1 or 2 kids and I have dated moderately 2 6.25%
I'm a solo mom with 1 or 2 kids and I have dated a lot 0 0%
I'm a solo mom with 3 or more kids and I have never dated 2 6.25%
I'm a solo mom with 3 or more kids and I have dated a little 0 0%
I'm a solo mom with 3 or more kids and I have dated moderately 1 3.13%
I'm a solo mom with 3 or more kids and I have dated a lot 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-22-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm wondering if their is a correlation between dating and single mother status (i.e. if you're completely solo or you have shared custody or at least regular visitation). So please respond by saying how many kids you have, if you are a single mother but your ex has regular time each week (or month) with your kid(s) or if you are doing it completely solo and never have another parent who takes your kids regularly, and how often you date. 

Thanks for responding! 

#2 of 16 Old 09-22-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

What I'm really getting at is if women date less when they are doing it solo so please make sure you mark carefully either "single" or "solo." That is a long poll...

#3 of 16 Old 09-22-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Honestly, I have dated so little that I feel like I should mark "never," but I guess that wouldn't be accurate. 

#4 of 16 Old 09-22-2012, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This is unrelated to dating but about the way you've written the poll - From all I've seen of single mommas I know IRL and online - there is a big difference between having one kid or more than one, much more than there's a difference between having 2 or 3. My life would be VASTLY different if I only had one kid but not a whole lot more with a third - especially in regards to the money and time I'd have available for myself - like for childcare

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#5 of 16 Old 09-23-2012, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

1 kid, no child support, no visitation for ex.  Def solo on all sides of this.  Minimal dating, hoping to change that soon.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#6 of 16 Old 09-23-2012, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I voted that X has regular time with the kids, and I have dated a little.  But really, X sees the kids 2 evenings a week with no overnights, while I am at work.  So I have no time to myself to go out and meet people and schedule dates, and I really can't afford childcare.  I went out quite a few times the last 2 months and now I am completely broke.

#7 of 16 Old 09-23-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubelin View Post

This is unrelated to dating but about the way you've written the poll - From all I've seen of single mommas I know IRL and online - there is a big difference between having one kid or more than one, much more than there's a difference between having 2 or 3. My life would be VASTLY different if I only had one kid but not a whole lot more with a third - especially in regards to the money and time I'd have available for myself - like for childcare

You are so right. I was actually going to make one for just two kids, but then I started and realized how many options I'd have to do! My life would be way different if I had only two kids and I can hardly even imagine how different if I only had one. But this poll was the best I could do. I have noticed when men think I only have one kid (and even only two) they are much more interested. Sad, but true. 

#8 of 16 Old 09-23-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

And just to clarify, I am a 100% solo mom, for many, many years now. 

And provocativa, it does seem that arrangement could have the same effect as being a solo mom. 

#9 of 16 Old 09-25-2012, 05:59 AM

Yeah, I have no time to  myself, and I hate him and he was abusive to me.  So I won't ever call him and see if he wants them for an extra night.  Plus I lost most of my friends during my marriage, so there is no one I can count on for free childcare or who will trade babysitting with me.

#10 of 16 Old 09-25-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Well, your kids are lucky that you are willing to do what's best for them even if it means you have to sacrifice some personal time. Still, that sucks. :(

The trend does seem to be, the more kids you have, and the more you have them, the less you will be dating. While that is sad and frustrating, it's also comforting. It means it's not just me being afraid of commitment or too picky or something like that, right? lol

#11 of 16 Old 09-25-2012, 12:35 PM

yeah, it's not you.  men in our generation who truly love kids are few and far between.  when men ask me how many kids i have, they tend to do so with a little trepidation in their voice, and then are relieved when i have only 2.  1 or 2 seem to be acceptable, more than that is not.  or that's the impression i get, anyway.

at this point i am dating whenever i get the opportunity, but none of the dates seem to lead anywhere, and i am kind of resolved at this point that i may not find anyone 'good'.  perhaps i'll try to preserve my looks for when they are grown ;}

#12 of 16 Old 09-26-2012, 11:10 AM

I'm glad to see that it's not just me! It was also nice to see the term "solo" to separate me as a mom with full rights and responsibilities from a single mom who shares custody. I always end up specifying that I'm single not only in relationship status, but in my parenting status as well. I'm pretty content being very single. Most days I can't imagine trying to fit dating and all of its complications into my life, and I would definitely feel odd about leaving my 2 year old with a sitter to go out. It's hard enough to leave him to go to work.
#13 of 16 Old 09-27-2012, 04:58 AM

FYI if you find a good sitter that you trust, it makes all the difference.  

#14 of 16 Old 10-07-2012, 12:56 PM

I have one child and date mildly/moderately. My ex does have visitation but no overnights. My mom is really the reason I'm able to have a life. She has DD 1-2 weekend nights per week.

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
#15 of 16 Old 10-07-2012, 01:38 PM

I've been a widow since April 2011 and I have two kids. I said I have dated a little, but in reality I have dated none and made out A LOT. Long story. I am not ready to date yet. My husband was the most awesome man, and I'm not saying that because he's dead, I had ever known. I only knew him a decade but I'm a much better person for it. The thought of putting myself out there with another man, or woman, just scares me at this point. 

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#16 of 16 Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 PM

100% solo, one kiddo, haven't been with anyone since he was conceived, and not planning to date until he's off to college, if I bother at all... however, I don't feel like that's a reflection on my ability to date (time, childcare, financial resources, etc.). If I wanted to date, I would find childcare and do it, but I have NO desire to date at all. For my family, it's just not the right choice, and it's more a reflection of my priorities, personal values and life goals. I actually get quite a bit of kid free time, as I have help from family and extra childcare too, but I choose to use that time to bolster my friendships and pursue other activities.

Moo.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page