he quit his job/moved home/they are paying his school - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 09-29-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm due in january. the childs father quit his job and moved in with his wealthy parents. they are paying for his school which he said he is starting in january, full time, to avoid child support

I live with my parents but that doesn't mean I can afford this baby on my own. I can't get any assistance because I live at home.

I don't know what to do and I'm very depressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-29-2012, 09:31 PM

That is lame. I'm pretty sure they still give child support even if he is unemployed it might not be much. But also a judge will evaluate where his $$ is coming from.

#3 of 7 Old 09-29-2012, 10:18 PM

When my friend was getting divorced I helped her fill out the child support paperwork. Because her STBX was underemployed on purpose he was ordered to pay more that she thought.
#4 of 7 Old 09-30-2012, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What you are going to do is ask that he be imputed income to what he made before he voluntarily left his job.  Barring that, he should be imputed minimum wage at full-time hours at the very least. 

#5 of 7 Old 09-30-2012, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

You may be able to get assistance even though you live with your parents.  Where I live, you just have to prove that you buy your own groceries (i.e. I assume with receipts?)  So call the local office and see if you can at least be eligible for state insurance, etc. if you need it.  Can't hurt to ask! 

As for you child support, I don't really have any experience with that situation, but I believe he would have an imputed income based on his previous income.  I don't know if his going to school interferes with that.  Good luck mama!

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#6 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

he has only worked under the table jobs. so he will have no record of ever having an income.

the dhs said they could give me 300 dollars a month. but how will I get on my own with that?
#7 of 7 Old 10-02-2012, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Since he will have no record of income, unless you can prove his earnings from the under the table jobs, the amount that he is very likely to be imputed will be 40 hours at minimum wage.  You will get a child support order.  Doesn't mean that he will pay, but you will have the order.  And if he gets a regular job that isn't under the table, the support (along with the arrears) can be garnished from his check. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page