How did you know? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-14-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I understand if you are in an abusive relationship why you must leave but what if you are just unhappy?

I have been married five years and have had my foot out the door for five years. First few were try emotionally abuse. But the we had a baby, he got therapy and it got better.

And yet...... every year I almost leave. We only knew each other a few months when we got married and then I have been financially dependent this whole time. We are not a great match. Very different up bringings and views on many things.

He is a good man but I am not happy. I am scared of being on my own with two kids but scared of living my life less then fully

So when did you know it was time to go??????

#2 of 3 Old 10-14-2012, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Well, as someone who stayed for 15 years yet I knew after 2 I should leave, you're not likely to change how you feel. Did you ever love him? Really? Not just lust and all that. Do you love him now? And loving him because he's the father of your children doesn't count. Are you compatible? Do you share the same principles in life? Do you have similar goals? If he was emotionally abusive, might he still be? Do you feel truly respected?

When I began the process of really ending my marriage (I had wavered for years), I found it really helpful to read. I downloaded a ton of kindle books onto my iphone about how to know it's time to go, about divorce, about separation, etc. Off the top of my head, I remember someone here recommended the book Good People, Bad Marriage... or something like that. It was good. Just do not read 'Divorce for Dummies'!!! It was horrible. 

There are books about how to feel happy in your marriage when you have a foot out the door already. Reading was so helpful for me.

Good luck. I hope you find the peace and happiness you're looking for.

#3 of 3 Old 10-14-2012, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I listened to the David chatman book 'the five love languages.'. It was the beginning of the end. I realized he would never be Able to talk my language.

Also I realize now i never really fell in love. I met him when I had just broken up with someone I really cared about. I didn't want to date anyone and I only dated him to get guys to stop hitting on me. He seemed like the safest choice. Turned out I was wrong. Part of me said it's not fair to him either to be with a woman that just doesn't love him.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page