Attachment Parenting as a single parent... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-18-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I'm a single mom to an only. Every now and then my parenting (and perhaps his behavior) skids off the road into the ditch. We dust ourselves off and get going again...  I talk to friends for advice/support, yet it's different b/c they each have a partner who can help with things. I go to parenting classes that generally seem like ideas that would work great in a 2 parent household. Now, I want to be cautious about stereotyping and avoid sounding like a victim. But it's darn hard right now.

What have you found helpful in the moment when you know you've driven off the cliff, or are about to? What do you do to prevent yourself from losing it with your kids? Are there single parenting books you would recommend for Attachment style parenting?

oh-and if there's another thread that discusses this I'd be glad to read what others have asked/answered before.

thank you ! 

#2 of 3 Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hm. I'm a single mom to an only as well. How old is your ds?
#3 of 3 Old 11-19-2012, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Just remember that those great ideas in parenting books, don't always translate into real family life.   And if you had a partner, it doesn't mean you would automatically agree on every single parenting decision.   

I was a single mom with my first until she was 4 and she was just an easy kid.   I was married with my next two kids.   It was nice when they were babies/toddlers to have help at times even if the help wasn't always reliable and I had to beg for it.  But as they got older, it was actually easier to just take care of them by myself because of issues with my ex.

My kids are happier, well-behaved and doing better in school post divorce and I think the 100% consistently of rules/routines in my house are a big factor.   Ex was bad about under-minding rules partly to annoy me and partly out of laziness on his part.  

Figure out what routines work for your ds and stick to them.   For me, sleep is a big issue.   A good bedtime routine keeps me sane.   For example, I was very big on the co-sleeping, etc with my oldest and not as much with my younger kids.    You just have to decide what works for you and not work yourself to exhaustion to try and meet some parenting ideal.   (Which I am totally guilty of for years and years.) 

Mama to three crazy kids and one crazier dog.  biggrinbounce.gif

Tags
Single Parenting 101

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page