Holiday cards - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-24-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It is time to send our annual holiday photo card and I'm stumped about how to handle it.  I usually just send a picture of my daughter (now it would be her and the baby) and sign it "Love, the XXX's" with our last name.  I am not sure that I want to tell friends and family, who don't know yet about our separation, through the holiday card.  But it also feels a bit dishonest to just sign it from the whole family, since it is just me and the girls now.  Should I send a proper letter sharing other events from the year?  Do I just send the photo card from Me and the Girls?  Or maybe just stop sending them all together!  I just dread having to tell the story over and over again.... 

#2 of 3 Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 AM

Maybe for the more casual acquaintances you could put something like "Love from all of us" and then for closer friends and family you could add a brief note letting them know of the recent changes.  That way the people you'd want to keep informed would find out without you having to explain the situation over and over again, and the more casual friends would find out at some later time?  Good luck with this!

Wife to DH (2009) and mother to DS born (1/7/11).

#3 of 3 Old 12-01-2012, 05:47 PM

I am having the same dilemma. I think I'm just going to sign it from me and the baby, but scale back on how many I send out this year. The vast majority of the people I send cards to know that we are separated.  I had added all of my husband's friends to the card list, but won't send it to them this year as I don't think he's told any of his friends who live out of town.  I actually feel better about it than I did last year--I made a beautiful card, with a picture taken the day I found out he was having an affair.  By the time I sent it out, the whole thing felt like a fraud and it was really uncomfortable to send out this picture that made us look like a happy family when we were miserable and falling apart.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page