Need opinions on moving situation - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-23-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am considering a move to another state and scared!  Love to hear from others who have done it, things you wish you had known, surprises, regrets etc.

Currently, we have lived in a small town for 10+ years, I work part time and go to college full time online.

In the new area we will be living with a sibling, splitting rent - yes!!  No more being the only adult in the house!  Number one reason to move.  Better climate, a very close second!  I will be able to transfer to a college there almost immediately and obtain my degree in less time due to lighter requirements.  Family court has already approved the move.  All my family lives in the new area.  I really want to get a fresh start where everyone does not know alllll about my divorce. It can be somewhat of a scandal in a small town, even several years later.

Hesitations. My current job is flexible, pays well, and I can either bring my children or schedule around their activities.  In the new area this would not be the case and I think I would have to find work in a different area.  My children go to a wonderful school now and schools in the new area are unsafe and private schools are outrageous. And last but not least, we would all miss our friends. 

I keep telling myself if its awful we can always move back.  I am worried that the school here would think badly of me if I pull my children out and then bring them back a few months later though.  

#2 of 3 Old 12-23-2012, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Boy, that is a tough one! I can't say too much on the subject, but I will confess one thing, I would do anything right now to be near to family! But that is because family is in a different country and I can't visit them at all. What do your children think? Are they old enough to have a say in the decision making? How well do you get on with the person you will be living with? That would be a huge factor for me! What if their parenting style is different, do they expect to be allowed to discipline your children? DO you expect the adult to do as much housework as you do? The two of you really need to discuss all the ins and outs of living together.

Good luck!

#3 of 3 Old 12-23-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We get along very well and have already gone over house rules and etc.  I think I am just getting scared cold feet!  

My children say they don't want to move because they will miss their friends.  When we go visit though they love it.  I have struck a deal with them to give it a shot for a few months and then make a decision. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page