Dressing for court - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-01-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How dressed up do you get? January in mn, so it will be cold outside, but it will be warm inside.
#2 of 8 Old 01-01-2013, 05:52 PM

All the way up. Dress like your attorney.

At the very least, conservative business casual. No cleavage, no distracting jewelry, no teetering heels, no short skirts.

It's kind of like an important job interview -- show respect toward the court, and keep the focus on you and what you have to say rather than on what you're wearing.

#3 of 8 Old 01-02-2013, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I had asked my attorney the same question and that was her response, "show respect for the court."

She said she always wore a skirt.  I wore a black wool dress (fitted, but not tight or showing cleavage), black tights, and black suede heels.  It was winter during my hearing as well. 

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#4 of 8 Old 01-02-2013, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

I dress up.  Last time was black dress pants, shirt, cardigan and heels.  Professional looking hair and make-up.

Mama to three crazy kids and one crazier dog.  biggrinbounce.gif

#5 of 8 Old 01-03-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

The outfit I wore when I got hired was brown dress shoes with a chunky heal, not high, just normal dress heal. A beigh shirt with a brown print, and a snug brown tshirt over another tshirt with my dragon fly necklace. It worked for a summer interview. But I'm not sure it is enough for court. I have a pair of cotton black dress pants, but I have wore them two or three times a week this fall, and they may have a washed look. This is ok for work. All the staff have clouthing like that, even the principle. We work with kids and we don't make a lot. I did find a pair of black pants at a thrift store, but I need to alter them. The waist and croch fit but the legs are like balloons. I just haven't gotten around to altering them. I don't think I can wear the pair that have been washed two or three times a week to court.
#6 of 8 Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 AM

I hate having to worry about this stuff.

The only reason I have a suit that fits is because I got it at a Junior League give away.

#7 of 8 Old 01-03-2013, 09:28 AM

Not a single parent, but I am an attorney.

I agree with PPs who say to dress to show respect for the court.  "Slacks" rather than jeans, a blouse rather than a t-shirt and shoes that are not sneakers and aren't beat up looking (flats or heels) will be fine and a nice, simple dress or skirt with tights and a blouse or sweather would also be fine.  You don't have to dress like your attorney if you don't have the clothes to do so.  The court knows you are not an attorney.  Wear the best you have, but don't spend $$ that you don't have to impress the judge.  Just look put together (hair and make-up as well, if you wear make-up) and you'll be fine. thumb.gif  Ask your attorney to give you instructions on how to behave and when/where to sit, stand, etc. (follow your lawyer's cues) and how to address the judge (depending on level of court the appropriate title changes) if you need to speak.  Don't interrupt, and be concise in your comments if you are asked to speak.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#8 of 8 Old 01-03-2013, 02:33 PM

I've worked in fairly casual environments (read jeans and Ts) for the most part in my profession, current job is biz casual (khakis and polos) but at nearly 6 figures being a pro in IT, i'm expected to occasionally throw down the good clothes :)

I have like 3 suits I think right now? thats what i've worn to court when I went.

I don't really do makeup, my hair is pretty easy and plain, and I wore 2-3" plain heels (no open toes!)

I'd say a buttondown blouse that covers up everything, ie tailored, and slacks would be ok - but you def want to look as professional as you can. I'd actually avoid black if you can however...it tends to make people look harsh and if you are nervous and pale even more so. I have SUPER pale skin (I actually won contest of who was paler - me or an actual albino once) and just a shade above black hair....so I stick with jewel tones and I have a black suit and 2 med brown ones. Red/pink will help you look rosier and sad as it is to say....impressions do help.

Oddly enough my Ex wore jeans (all he has that fit his wide posterier) and his LAWYER....oh...my...god.

she showed up the last time wearing 20 dollar wedge sandals with cheese flowers on them, a sundress you'd expect to see on a teenager (around 6" above knee, strappy, etc) with a elbow length cardigan that was OBVIOUSLY 2 sizes too small, and her makeup might have made a hooker doubtful.

And she was in her 40s, had several kids, and was easily a size 12/14. Ewwww....

as much as I wanted to stab my ex, I actually had a moment where I felt sorry he was paying that hot mess, but then the evil chuckling in my head started. muhahahahha!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page