A parents problem - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-17-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello iam a man I just went to court today an I wanted to know whats the best way to go about getting partial custody of my son because the child's mother is going to give me problems?
#2 of 11 Old 01-17-2013, 11:04 AM

Get a lawyer.
#3 of 11 Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 AM

Maybe try the single parents forum?  They might have better advice than just get a lawyer, although that is probably also true.  

slingtwin.gifMontessori teacher working part time and trying to keep up with the kiddos. blowkiss.gif DD1 (June 08)ROTFLMAO.gif DS1 (June 10)love.gif DD2 (June 10)

#4 of 11 Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 PM

I'm sorry my reply was so short, and likely unhelpful. I think it would be very difficult to have a legal battle without a lawyer. In general it's extremely tough for the father to get custody. You may have to just wait and see until the initial custody hearing. Then, go from there. If you attempt to remain as amicable as possible, you may be able to come to an agreement at the hearing. Search your area for free legal aid, you may be able to get help through Jobs and Family Services, or College if you are attending.
#5 of 11 Old 01-18-2013, 03:09 PM

Stay involved in your child's life. Document any money spent on your child, support given to mom(though it is generally not a good idea to provide support until ordered. You may end up paying more than you had too, or can afford.) and any time caring for your child so mom can work.

bananabee likes this.

Living a life like no one else, with my husband, and all our children
#6 of 11 Old 01-18-2013, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Moving this thread to the Single Parenting Forum. 

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25********35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#7 of 11 Old 01-19-2013, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)

What kind of problems is she giving you? It may help to know that in the middle of a custody battle, or whatever it is exactly that you're going through, there are a lot of high emotions. In time, once things are decided and a routine is established, generally the emotions subside and sharing a child gets easier. 

Feel free to open up and describe what's going on. A lot of us ladies here have been jaded because our ex's have primarily only cared about the money, so then they try to pretend they want more time with the kids to get a custody order and support order in place, only to turn around and refuse a lot of their actual parenting time and still complain about how much support they're paying. 

Let's assume you're a caring dad and really just want to be involved. How old is the child? Are you married or living with the mom? Recently separated? What was the court hearing about? We can't really support you unless you tell your story.

Living happily and loving it!
#8 of 11 Old 01-21-2013, 04:38 PM

Your options will be different depending on where you are as well. Differents States/ Countries / Provinces or what-not, have very different laws and programs regarding custody that could help you

#9 of 11 Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3timesamom View Post

Stay involved in your child's life. Document any money spent on your child, support given to mom(though it is generally not a good idea to provide support until ordered. You may end up paying more than you had too, or can afford.) and any time caring for your child so mom can work.

Really? My ex looked good for providing support before he was ordered to do so. The magistrate commended him for doing so. We used our state's child support calculator to determine the appropriate amount.

#10 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklefairy View Post

Really? My ex looked good for providing support before he was ordered to do so. The magistrate commended him for doing so. We used our state's child support calculator to determine the appropriate amount.

In my state my lawyer advised against it.

#11 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeyZoo View Post

In my state my lawyer advised against it.

That's so messed up. Not that your lawyer advised against it, but that providing support for a child could be held against a parent.

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page