fear of never having another baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi mamas.

I have been a single mom before (for many years, actually) to my now 6yo.  I started dating my DP about three years ago and we have a 6mo.  I was totally thrilled to *finally* have a family (my daughter's father is really not involved very much and there isn't a chance in hell I'd ever get back with him) and do all of the things that I painfully witnessed the married/partnered couples around me do with their children.  I have always lived a very rich life and I have a really active social life (which absolutely includes my children), but I felt lonely and isolated as a single mom.  I really, really longed for a partner to experience the highs and lows of childrearing with.  all of that said, imagine my thrill when DP and I found out we were expecting, got it together, moved in and really did become a family of sorts.  for a while, our relationship was awesome and I couldn't believe how blessed I was (still am).

so, it looks like our relationship is finally coming to an end.  it's been riddled with a lot of pain and rage and trouble for its entire duration, but the reprieve that we experienced while parenting our DS gave me hope that we could move past our past and start a new journey together.  here I am now, angry and sad and bitter that DP gets to mosey on down his bachelor road and get back to his "old" life (he was childless when we met) and I am now the single mother of two children from two different fathers and truth be told, I am terrified that no one will ever want me and I will never have another baby again.  I know that sounds so silly but I so long for a big family and lots of littles and I just fear that that will never happen for me.  I suppose the best course of action here is to just trust that the universe (I'm a believer...I have to be, for my own sanity) will give me exactly what I need and the life I am meant to live with unfold before me.  and at my core, I really do believe that my life is much better in the hands of some sort of power greater than myself, as I have a history of some questionable decision making :)  while trusting that what is meant to be will be, I am still in a heap of great heart ache over all of this.  I don't even know how much of it is actually over my DP - there has been enough damage in our relationship to finally push me into the dreaded indifferent state of mind towards him.  I just feel sad that I may never get to be pregnant again or nurse a newborn baby again or experience labor with a partner again or have someone to go to school functions with and cry to and bla bla bla.  there is a lot of fear.  and anger towards my STBX for getting to live his life like NONE of this ever happened or mattered.  

cookies for you if you made it all the way to the end of this post.  I'm sorry, I just had to vomit somewhere, I guess.  no one IRL wants to hear about this stuff from me.  I have to turn to the internet now lol.

anyways, thanks for listening.  does anyone else share these fears?  can anyone shed some light on this for me?

#2 of 21 Old 02-27-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

oh and FTR, my STBX isn't the sole cause of us ending or anything.  he is a decent guy and actually a really great dad.  just a crappy partner :)  my anger towards him is probably more towards myself, as he has been emotionally unavailable as my partner but very available and capable as a father and I do trust that he will take care of his responsibility.

#3 of 21 Old 02-28-2013, 01:34 AM

Oh my god, are you ME??

I have a thirteen year old daughter and though her father is a great guy, we drifted apart. I married very young, before I know who I was, I think, and we separated when she was three. Just the two of us against the world, and it was... it was fine. It wasn't what I thought life would be, but we were ok, and I love her more than the world.

Fast forward a number of years and I  -  against all odds!  -  meet my new partner and fell HARD in love. We married, had another baby, I heard that clock getting louder and louder even though the alarm had already gone off twice  -  and have just come to the crashing realisation that he's NOT who I thought he was. And just like that, my second(!) marriage is over.

So now I'm facing life as a single mum AGAIN, with two children to two different fathers. The very definition of "damaged goods". Who'd ever want me?

I know, right now I'm processing the grief and trauma of his abrupt departure, coupled with the fact that today would have been the due date of the baby I miscarried last year. I know my head is not in the right place and I need to spend some time being good to me and the kids I do have, but I can't shake this idea of asking my friend to be my sperm donor. I know that if I told anyone this IRL they'd tell me I'm crazy to be thinking this now. But the desire for one last baby is just... it's just SO STRONG.

#4 of 21 Old 03-02-2013, 04:11 PM

Me too, in a big way. This was actually one of the very worst parts of the time when we were still trying to work things out--I was overcome with fear of never having another baby and focused on that sometimes more than all of the other horrible things going on. There was a part of me that hoped we could hold things together enough just to have a second before we split up, but sadly, it just wasn't going to happen.

I still think about this way too much, and worry all the time about how long I can wait to meet someone else before I just decide to go for it alone and use a donor. My son is only 1.5, and we are not even divorced yet, but time is flying by and my heart would break all over again, irrevocably, if I didn't have the chance to experience pregnancy, birth, and babyhood again. So no, you're definitely not alone!
#5 of 21 Old 03-02-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaura5 View Post

This was actually one of the very worst parts of the time when we were still trying to work things out--I was overcome with fear of never having another baby and focused on that sometimes more than all of the other horrible things going on. There was a part of me that hoped we could hold things together enough just to have a second before we split up, but sadly, it just wasn't going to happen.

I feel you, mama. I forgave far more than I should have, put up with far more abuse than I should have, just hoping we could make it last long enough to get pregnant again. And that wasn't fair to him either, I know.

#6 of 21 Old 03-02-2013, 07:21 PM

I think about this a lot.  I always thought I'd just want two children.  But now that I'm single and 40-something, I'm feeling sad knowing that I won't have any more children.  I guess there is part of me that would like to have another chance at finding a great guy who would want to be a dad and having that experience of being with someone who was really wanting to share that together.  My STBX never wanted children and basically left because he just doesn't want to live the family life.  He has chosen work above family.  

I have a 5 y.o. and an 8 month old.  I feel sad knowing that there is little chance of having another baby, even if I did find another relationship, because the childbearing years are just about over.  I am grieving the dream that I had of having a partner who really wanted to join me in the path of parenting and family life. 

I'm grateful though that I have my two children.  It turns out that STBX made a very conscious decision to have DD2 with me, even knowing he would probably leave.  He knew how much I wanted another, so he thought he would do that for me before he left.  In some ways I was really pissed off about that because I had no clue and I thought that was really unfair.  But I am also so glad I have two children.  I think that if I just had one and was in this spot it would be even harder for me.  

So, I can relate to what you are saying.  I guess where I'm at is past the fear of not having another and to the point of grieving that it really wouldn't be an option, even if I were to remarry.   But, I'm making peace with it too.  Part of me is ready to move into the next phase of life anyway.   

#7 of 21 Old 04-13-2013, 07:34 PM

I am 30 soon with a 3.5yo DD and would like one more. I'm single and not ready to grieve never having another child. I would have to be happily married though.

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
#8 of 21 Old 05-18-2013, 04:56 PM

I'm in my early thirties, and have a history of fertility problems, and I know that I don't have as much time left on my clock as other women my age.  However, I am at the end of my marriage.  I know that I have a LOT of work to do, to overcome my history of abuse and unhealthy relationships, before I can get involved with anyone again.  Part of me doesn't care; after what I've been through, the idea of being a relationship right now is just revolting.  But I'm not exactly a knockout, and I have a lot of baggage, kids (at least one with special needs, still testing on another)...  I feel like anyone decent would never look at me twice.  I really wanted a LOT of children.  Now, I'd be happy with one or two more, but I want what I never had, the experience of getting pregnant and being pregnant with a partner who is there for me through everything, who's just as invested as I am, no abuse or drama during the pregnancy, someone who is really ready for a family.  Only, they'd have to be ready for a couple of existing kids, and be willing to be okay with the idea of having just one or two more.  Assuming I'm able to.

I think it's healthy, though, that I worry a bit about it, knowing that it's possible.  Before, I probably would have jumped into a relationship as soon as I found a guy who was attractive and seemed okay, without getting to know him.  Now, I know that I'd resort to donor sperm before settling down with the wrong person - I'm keeping that option open for myself. :) 

Me modifiedartist.gif +  notes.gifgeek.gif + bouncy.gif ribbonteal.gifribbonpurple.gifribbonwhite.gifautismribbon.gifribbonblack.gif
#9 of 21 Old 05-18-2013, 09:47 PM

I am still very angry about this. Xdh didn't want anymore, and when pregnant with dd (our second), gave me a weekly reminder of the fact he would get a V when she was 6 weeks old. Fast forward she was 4 month when I found out he was cheating and still hadn't had a V. We stayed together for about 10 months before the D was filed and still no V. As of yet, he still hasn't gotten a V to my knowledge and dd is 2. That enrages me so much that he will not do it now because he needs to keep his fertility in case someone else down the road wants a baby and he can have babies pretty much until he is a wrinkled old man, meanwhile my window of opportunity is limited, not just by getting older (i am 30 and know I still have some good fertile years left) but more my lifestyle. I am going back to school to become a teacher and I will soon be working. The idea of having a baby and working just breaks my heart. I really want 1-2 years minimum at home with a baby. I am grateful I get to be home with DD while I am in school until 3, but really I planned on keeping her at home until K. So it is just a whole plethora of anger. Less about the fear of finding someone to have a baby with, but more that my lifestyle will not be fit for a baby (at least for my standards.) I am trying to be happy with the fact that I have 2 great kids and doing what is best for them, which means no brother or sister for them anytime soon, if ever.

My other great fear is that down the road I will find a really great partner and not be able to have a child with him (either by choice or biology/or a V) that makes me sad.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#10 of 21 Old 05-19-2013, 12:53 PM

My kids are 11 and 12, and I have been divorced 9 years. For many years I thought I was finished having kids, but now that I'm in my mid 30's I feel my biological clock ticking. I have worked my way through college and have a good job to support our family. I also feel like I make wiser choices now and could "correct" mistakes I made the first time if I could just start over.

But my boyfriend of 4 years is nearly infertile, it is highly unlikely we will conceive naturally without intervention. I find myself secretly hoping for a miracle, but I know its probably just a fantasy. Then I feel guilty because I should just be happy with the children I have. Many people who struggle with infertility have no biological children at all, and here I am whining that I "only" have 2.

I have been struggling with baby lust lately, illogical as it is, but I haven't really come to terms with the fact that I'm unlikely to have more children.
#11 of 21 Old 05-19-2013, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoabirdie View Post

I am terrified that no one will ever want me and I will never have another baby again.

If somebody doesn't want you, then they are the wrong person for you anyways.  smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoabirdie View Post

I know that sounds so silly but I so long for a big family and lots of littles and I just fear that that will never happen for me.  I suppose the best course of action here is to just trust that the universe (I'm a believer...I have to be, for my own sanity) will give me exactly what I need and the life I am meant to live with unfold before me.

I wanted a big family, too.  Ever since I was a very little girl, all I wanted to be was a Mommy, to have a houseful of children.  My Mom likes to tell people how, even at three years old, I would pray every night to be "a Mommy with ten children" someday.  I had one son and one stepdaughter, and secondary infertility (and a husband who refused to even try for another baby).  I was devastated when my ex-husband left me and I lost my stepdaughter I'd raised for 8 or her 9 years and any chance (I thought) I had of every having any more children.  Fast forward a bit... I met a jerk, but walked away with a beautiful second son.  (Nope, by all rights, he shouldn't have been able to have been conceived, but there he was, secondary infertility literally disappeared when my exhusband left me.)  I loved my two children with all my heart... but feared I'd never find someone with my "history" and that, if I did find someone, I'd never have any more children.  Fast forward a bit more... I moved back to my hometown to help my sister raise my three nieces and my nephew.  Then I met my then boyfriend, who is now my fiance.  He is the love of my life, my soulmate, perfect for me in every way.  And he has three Motherless children (their Mother died of cancer years ago) who consider me "Mom".  I waited for what seemed like forever, but I found the one I was meant to be with and I will have my big family, my "house full of children" I'd always wanted.  And here's the clincher- I'm with my nieces and nephew so much and take care of them while my sister goes to work, I'm like a second Mother to them.  Now do the math... two sons + one former stepdaughter + two future stepdaughters + one future stepson + three nieces + one nephew = 10 children that are (or have been) "mine".  I had to wait 34 years, but I have been given my life's dream.  I believe that whatever higher power you believe in will give you exactly what you need to be happy with your life... you just might need a little patience.  All will work out for you in the end.  thumb.gif

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#12 of 21 Old 05-31-2013, 09:41 PM

KBlackstone444, thanks for sharing you're story! Very inspiring!

I just wanted to share that my cousin has three kids with three different men and she met a man a few months ago who seems to be the perfect complement to her. I was in the wedding of one of my single mom friends last year. She's 34 and TTC now with her husband. She was divorced for several years.

Bex80 likes this.

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
#13 of 21 Old 09-29-2013, 08:43 PM

I know this thread is kind of old, but I'm back after a long hiatus and was poking around the forum when this thread caught my eye.

I'm afraid I'll never get to have another baby too; but for me it varies from time to time whether or not I think I want another child. My ex remarried and the kids got a step brother and now have a half sister and half brother on the way. Which by the way ILoveMyBabyBird, takes me to your comment about being angry with your ex about remaining virile. My ex was adamant about no more than 2 kids and now he's about to have 5 total between hers, theirs, and ours. It's aggravating to say the least, but I'm letting go more and more each day.

So as I was saying, sometimes I want another and sometimes I see how difficult it is to blend families and to start over while having older kids and that turns me off.

I guess I didn't have anything helpful to add, just letting you know that you're not alone in your fears. :)

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#14 of 21 Old 09-30-2013, 11:46 AM

Funny that this thread has been resurrected... I went to a clinic yesterday to register for AI using donor sperm.

redface.gif

$500 registration fee
$200 every year thereafter
2 year waiting list
$1200 per insemination
5 inseminations maximum

It's not looking great....
#15 of 21 Old 09-30-2013, 04:53 PM

While it seems pricey initially, think of how much you'll save in the long run!! I hadn't considered AI but maybe in a few years if I am still feeling the babylust? I've also considered being a surrogate but would have to do it for friends instead of an agency due to depression/anxiety. I've heard that you can't be a surrogate if you have any history of mental illness. Dumb...

Do you think you'll give AI a try?

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#16 of 21 Old 09-30-2013, 10:33 PM

Wait, wait. So men take up with you, make babies, and take off, and you're worried about your looking like damaged goods? Hello? You're the stand-up responsible one! The daddies/donors are the the no-good ones!

Please, ladies, heads on straight. You are doing the work. You carried and gave birth to those babies, too. And I bet anything you gave those men far more credit than they deserved, that's how generous you were. If men who run away don't want you...uh, well good, I think. You don't want any more men like that. Nor do you want men who'd put you down because you have babies. If taking those men out of the pool means there's not many left, then that's sad commentary on men, but I'm still thinking yer better off without those types.

Bex80 and kblackstone444 like this.
#17 of 21 Old 10-01-2013, 12:42 AM

How much I'll save? What do you mean?

It's not ideal, but I think it's my best option - and with a two year waiting list, at my age I need to make the decision soon.
#18 of 21 Old 10-01-2013, 12:43 AM

Ah, thanks, mama41. That's a nice sentiment, and puts things in perspective smile.gif
#19 of 21 Old 10-01-2013, 02:44 AM

I'm heartbroken that I will likely not have anymore children...although, at this point I'm not picturing being with anyone again either. I'm 33 and DD is 2. My husband informed me on my birthday that he wants a divorce (5 months later we're still just separated). The week after he moved out he got a vasectomy. This is not what I pictured for my life. This is not what I want for my daughter. My brothers are so important to me, I really wanted her to have a sibling.

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

#20 of 21 Old 10-01-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelittlebird View Post

How much I'll save? What do you mean?

It's not ideal, but I think it's my best option - and with a two year waiting list, at my age I need to make the decision soon.

I think I spoke without thinking or at least it made sense to me from my experience. What I meant was that instead of finding a partner for the purpose of having a baby, which for me would likely end in divorce, you would save money, time, and heartache. Being in complete control of the experience (both pre and post natal) would be the kind of freedom that money can't buy. Money also can't buy companionship but I've been single so long that that doesn't really show up on my radar anymore.

Again, I apologize. I was thinking more about my situation and dealing with a controlling (both financially and emotionally) ex. It's a big decision for you and I'm sure you'll do what's best for you and your little one. <3

#21 of 21 Old 10-01-2013, 03:31 PM

No need to apologise smile.gif

And you're right, I'd certainly save in terms of heartache. No way do I want to find a partner, not right now at least!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page