Single and homeschooling? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

How does that work? My STBX is military and I'm a SAHM. My oldest DS is 4 and has autism, he really needs to be home schooled. I think I can get about $1000/mo in child support but I don't know if I can live on that!

Any ideas?

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#2 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

I'm sorry, I want to answer your post but it's a bit confusing. Are you needing ideas for homeschooling http://www.mothering.com/community/f/50/learning-at-home-and-beyond or are you looking for ideas on how to live on the $1,000? 

#3 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I'm scatterbrained. I feel like I'm in limbo because we're doing marriage counseling but I don't think it'll help anything.

Mainly I'm wondering..how do I live on $1000/mo OR how do I work while homeschooling without putting the kids in school or spending my whole paycheck to pay for childcare?

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#4 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does your stbx support homeschooling? If he does, and you can prove that, you may have a better chance of a judge awarding you alimony or other support to allow you to stay home and homeschool. Have you talked to a lawyer yet? You really should consult one before your stbx has any idea you are going to file. 

#5 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 06:46 PM

One thousand a month is not much for rent, food, utilities and transportation. Homeschooling on little to no money is doable, but I'm not sure about the rest. Although I don't know what the cost of living in your area. You would know that much better than I. What is *your* feel on that subject?
#6 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am soon to be single (we are still living together, but in the process of separating) and will hopefully be continuing to homeschool, so long as dp agrees to it still. I work from home and have pretty much doubled my work load at this point-I'm still not sure how it is going to work out since it has been pretty stressful to try to take care of the kids while working so much, let alone getting much schooling done. I am considering doing a cyber charter next year for dd (1st grade) just so we can get the curriculum for free and have a bit more structure for me to follow while i get back on my feet, but I am undecided. I work mostly at night, but my new schedule requires me to work during the day a bit too to get it all done, plus functioning on very little sleep most of the time. So, while I can theoretically say I will make this work, I'm in the same boat as you at the moment :) Oh, and FWIW, in my area, $1000 would barely (maybe) pay for rent+utilities, and that is in a tiny apartment, not so great neighborhood (i.e. not somewhere I would necessarily want to be homeschooling young kids), let alone leaving money for food, gas, activities, other bills, etc., so that wouldn't work for me. I will need to make more than double that to meet the bare minimum of making it work financially. Obviously a lot depends on the COL in your area.

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#7 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 07:15 PM

Oops! I probably shouldn't have responded. I saw the title in new posts and read it because of homeschooling in the title. Sorry!
#8 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

We've decided to do marriage counseling and separating..we'll be staying married and cohabitating until we get our tax return next year at which point I'm moving back to my home town to go to school. That's as far as we've gotten really. We figure me having a degree will do nothing but good regardless of how it turns out.

#9 of 9 Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I did it for 2 years, homeschooling and single with 550 a month child support, and help from the state with a subsidy for the sitter.  I bartended and / or waited tables a couple nights a week.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page