Google calendar - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-16-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any harm in creating a Google calendar for ex and I to have access to? It will include only events related to the children. Pros, cons?

Edited to add I do have a Google account so I'm nervous that he would somehow have access to my personal, non children related, things.
#2 of 18 Old 07-16-2013, 07:23 PM

My ex and I do this, and it is REALLY helpful. However, what you need to do, is create a whole new google account. Don't link it to your personal google/gmail account. (for instance, my personal is my name at gmail dot com, our 'kids calendar' is thelittle(ourlastname) at gmail dot com, and we both have access to that account to look at the calendar (which I keep, so it's really just the ex looking. lol

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#3 of 18 Old 07-17-2013, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

That's a great idea. When you say you both have access to it, does that mean you've shared it with him or he can actually go in and remove things or change events? I worry that scheduled items might disappear.
#4 of 18 Old 07-17-2013, 07:51 AM

Yes, if he has access to view, he will have access to change it. My ex and I get along fairly well, so I don't worry about things dissappearing. Do you mean he would erase scheduled events? I think you can set google calendars to alert you if something is changed.....

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#5 of 18 Old 07-17-2013, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
You can make a calendar in Google and give someone access only to view it. Likewise they could have a calendar you could view. You can set it so both calendars show on your Google calendar view but you don't have access to change things on each others calendar. I wouldn't do a new account but just make a calendar you share with them. This sounds confusing but is rather easy.
#6 of 18 Old 07-17-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springshowers View Post

You can make a calendar in Google and give someone access only to view it. Likewise they could have a calendar you could view. You can set it so both calendars show on your Google calendar view but you don't have access to change things on each others calendar. I wouldn't do a new account but just make a calendar you share with them. This sounds confusing but is rather easy.

This. You can create a new Google calendar on your current account, and use the share feature to allow your ex access to just that calendar and nothing else. He will have to log in with his own username and password. Google Calendar even lets you decide how much access he will have, like whether he can just view, or edit events. Just create a calendar, then click the little arrow next to the calendar name on the left side of the screen. A menu will come up, and just choose "Share this Calendar." Under the heading "Share with specific people," you can put in your ex's email address, and choose what access he will have. Click "Add Person," and Google will send him an email inviting him to the calendar.

He will not be able to access anything else on your Google account. You don't need to give him any of your log in information. (DO NOT give him any of your log in information.) He will only be able to see what you add to that calendar, and he will only be able to edit if you give him permission.
Springshowers likes this.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#7 of 18 Old 07-17-2013, 11:02 AM

Thank you Michelle for making it make sense!!! My post confused even me.
#8 of 18 Old 07-17-2013, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)

If you share a google (gmail) calendar, be sure to log out as soon as you are done viewing and editing the calendar.  Otherwise all of your google internet search histories will be logged in the google account (I discovered this by accident and found a questionable search by x at the same time..).  If you are concerned about entries being deleted on you, then you can print off the schedule to have a hard copy...take photos of screen shots, etc.  But it's probably better that one person has control over editing/modifying it and the other can view.  Depends on how well you are cooperating.

#9 of 18 Old 07-17-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot1 View Post

If you share a google (gmail) calendar, be sure to log out as soon as you are done viewing and editing the calendar.  Otherwise all of your google internet search histories will be logged in the google account (I discovered this by accident and found a questionable search by x at the same time..).  If you are concerned about entries being deleted on you, then you can print off the schedule to have a hard copy...take photos of screen shots, etc.  But it's probably better that one person has control over editing/modifying it and the other can view.  Depends on how well you are cooperating.

In what way are you sharing a calendar? Are you both sharing a Google account that is used only for the calendar? That's the only way I can think of that something like that could happen, and that is the least secure way to share a calendar. It is not how sharing is intended to work. The most secure way would be for each of you to maintain your own account, with your own login info to which the other does not have access, and share the calendar using the built-in share feature. That is how Google designed calendars to be shared so that it does not compromise your account security.

(Unless you mean that you each have your own account, but are using the same computer? You should always log out of your accounts as soon as you are done if you are using a shared computer, especially if you are sharing with someone you don't trust.)

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#10 of 18 Old 07-17-2013, 07:03 PM

It's shared (his idea). One account just to schedule his visits, times etc. seems to work.

Good points about security. What would I need to be concerned about? (I may be naive...)
#11 of 18 Old 07-17-2013, 07:28 PM

I would log into that account and share the calendar with another gmail account of yours (with edit capabilities). Michelle explained above how to do it. Then you never need to log onto that shared account again and don't risk him seeing searches you have made etc. I don't know what all the risks are but I would not want to share an account. Gmail collects a lot of data. You don't want to risk him seeing something he shouldn't.
#12 of 18 Old 07-17-2013, 07:29 PM

You don't even have to tell him you changed how it works. .. It should be transparent. Unless he looks in the sharing page. It will save you logging into a separate account too.
#13 of 18 Old 07-17-2013, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

One other idea if you want you both to be able to edit only the things you add to the calendar, but not anything the other person added is to make two new calendars. One you give him edit rights too, the other only give him viewing rights. He adds and makes edits about his things on the one he can edit, you make changes on the other calendar. You both will be able to view both sets of calendars appointments on the same calendar. This way all the kids stuff is in one place, but you can't mess up the other ones entries.

Springshowers likes this.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#14 of 18 Old 07-17-2013, 08:34 PM

One functional issue I have is that x has inputted dates prior to mutual agreement, and so I go in and see them and then sometimes need a little discussion by email. For some this might work (calendar first, discussion 2nd) but I personally prefer the agreement first. When both have editing rights it can get messy (I was accused of messing with a bunch if his dates). It's not a permanent record. So I do like the idea of separating the editing and viewing rights. In my case ill just let it go since this was x's idea and he'll just use any ideas I have that are different as an excuse to tell me how controlling I am! So far he hasn't messed with past dates. Is there a way to "lock" in past entries so that they then become permanent record if visitation? I guess not if both parties share the password...
#15 of 18 Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 PM

You could always screen capture or print it at the end of each month.
#16 of 18 Old 07-18-2013, 04:03 AM

Printing would be a good way to create a permanent record, especially because most browsers append a date when you print from the Internet. There's not really a way to make past events uneditable if someone has editing rights.

The main security risk of sharing an account like that is forgetting to log out, or forgetting which account you're logged in to, and doing something you wouldn't want him to see. Like was said above, Google collects a lot of data in an effort to make your Internet experience more personalized. I completely agree with the idea of simply sharing the calendar with your usual account, and giving yourself editing privileges. Then you don't have to log into that shared account unless he messes with your sharing.

Having two calendars is also a good idea. Believe it or not, that's what my husband and I do, because it makes it easy to toggle each other's events on and off.

#17 of 18 Old 07-18-2013, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleepotter View Post

Printing would be a good way to create a permanent record, especially because most browsers append a date when you print from the Internet. There's not really a way to make past events uneditable if someone has editing rights.

The main security risk of sharing an account like that is forgetting to log out, or forgetting which account you're logged in to, and doing something you wouldn't want him to see. Like was said above, Google collects a lot of data in an effort to make your Internet experience more personalized. I completely agree with the idea of simply sharing the calendar with your usual account, and giving yourself editing privileges. Then you don't have to log into that shared account unless he messes with your sharing.

Having two calendars is also a good idea. Believe it or not, that's what my husband and I do, because it makes it easy to toggle each other's events on and off.

I have a calendar for each kid, my own, my husband has one, I have one for my school stuff, and another for the kids school stuff. As michellepotter says, It makes it easier to toggle what you want to see on and off.

The other advantage of sharing the calendar that you and your ex share with your own account is that you can see the kids events on your own calendar with your own stuff. You wouldn't want to put any of your stuff on the kids calendar, but it can sometimes be important for scheduling to see everything at once. Sharing the calendar with yourself would allow you to do that.

We even share our kids calendars with the grandparents because they love to see what the kids are up to. It makes it easy to ask about last nights baseball game or whatever on the phone, because they can see what's going on. If you and your ex have separate calendars you add to but both have viewing rights to you can share your part of the calendar with whoever you want, and he can share his part as he sees fit without either of you necessarily sharing with anyone you don't want to. 

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#18 of 18 Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 AM

Dot you could always share it with both of you if you have Gmail accounts. Just tell him you realized you could do it and save you both time logging into another account.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page