1 job, college, stay 2 66.67%
Quit stressing, it will all work out 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2013, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Back in March I took on a part-time job on top of the 9-5 I already have which pushed me to working 53 hours a week. With juggling mommy duties for a 5 year old while working until 8 and living 35 minutes away from both towns, I was given the option to move in with my ex mother/father-in-law to put me 10 minutes from one job and 15 from the other. I took it!

So far this has worked out wonderfully, because they are able to help me with my son, cooking and etc. Being a very independent woman and almost 27 years old, not having my own place with my own routine is killing me!

I have a rare opportunity right now though, I can go back to school online and become a CPA to brighten my son and my future tremendously! Being a woman Financial Advisor and a CPA is very rare and will be profitable! I am lucky that where I work at has put me in their business plan for a few years down the road! We have a an online college here in Texas that you can take as many classes as you want in 6 months for one flat fee. If I do the minimum 12 hours a week then it estimates me to have my bachelor's degree in 3-3 1/2 years. 

Our mother/son time has been cut dramatically, we get an hour in the morning and about 30 minutes at night. He completely understands why "Mama is doing what she is doing" though. He is starting kindergarten in two weeks and his grandparents have said they will help with picking him up from school, homework, and etc. I luckily get to take him! My normal week goes like this;

Sunday-Family Day/Church/pool etc.   

Monday- Work 9-5 & 5:15-8      

Tuesday- Work 9-5 & 5:15-8       

Wednesday- Work 9-5 & 5:15-8    

Thursday- Work 9-5 & 5:15-8        

Friday- Work 9-3 & 3:15-8     

Saturday- Work 12-8      

If I quit my part-time job, there is no way I would be able to have my own place in 6 months like I planned already. So that means I would either have to work both jobs, go to school, and get my own place. Keep working both jobs, go to school, and stay where I am Or work my 9-5 job, go to school, and stay living where I am until I earn my degree. Or ??? I am open for any and all advise y'all have!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I voted quit stressing because I do believe it will all work out. I'm in the same boat, saving to buy a house again and I've given myself 1 year. Yes, I know it is difficult to live under someone else's roof and all that comes with that. But it sounds like you get along well with ex-in-laws.

Working 2 jobs means you will see your son for a few hours on the weekend, not much quality time. I get what you're thinking, I get why you want to do it, but I really feel that one job is the right decision. Try and figure out ways to make living at the in-laws better for you. What specifically is making it tough for you. Can you make a list and chat about those issues?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

I think working two jobs, getting your own place, and going to school is going to be completely draining, and leave you with really limited time with your son.  I know loads of people have to do it, but you might not have to.  You might really want to work out a way to stay where you are, drop to one job, and work through school like that.

Have you looked at the hours the entry-level CPAs work?  I don't want to discourage you from the career, but those hours are a *major* argument for living with family.  I worked about a year in this industry when my son was small, and the big challenges are hours and travel.  The more backup you have at home, the better you can handle those.  Having the flexibility of other loving adults in your home to look after your kid is an amazing career asset.

When I was a CPA, I had a ton of colleagues who lived at home with their parents. It was majorly helpful to them to not be responsible for household maintenance, and to be able to drag home from the airport at god knows when and find supper in the fridge.  So my temptation is to say, don't move!  Talk to the people you live with and work out a plan that acknowledges their help and contributions, and assures that you are a reasonably equal partner, treated like an adult, that your son is taken care of, and no one feels they're being taken advantage of. 

(Also?  Look carefully at the CPA program's job placement rates, and exam support.  Make sure the program includes all the courses required to take the exam in your state.  Make sure that they'll help you find a job.  This program may be cheap and flexible, but if they don't help you find work with the degree, they're not worth it.  I worry that the program is giving you a hard sell, because female CPAs and financial planners are actually pretty common, and being female isn't a specific marketing advantage.)

User Tag List