Single Mamas By Choice - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 260 Old 04-02-2014, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prescottchels View Post

fingersx.gif fingers crossed for you girlspn!! dust.gif  sticky.gif  are you doing anything to help keep your progesterone up? Low progesterone is a common cause for early miscarriage, fyi...

Thanks! I've been taking Ray Peat's Progest-e. I took it last cycle and I think it helped somewhat..my LP was 13 days. I'm still not sure of the dosage though. I'm also trying to minimize nursing, or at least not nurse above the level that enabled me to ovulate, just in case.

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#182 of 260 Old 04-04-2014, 01:17 PM

The IUI worked! I got a bfp yesterday at 12dpo. 

#2 due December 2014!
#183 of 260 Old 04-04-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congrats!!! :joy

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#184 of 260 Old 04-04-2014, 06:54 PM
esg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlspn View Post

I replay that ovulation time in my head all the time, wondering if the timing was right. I got +opk on CD 14 and CD 15 around 8pm. The IUI was done 10am on CD 15. Prior to the IUI, they confirmed I had not ovulated yet. My temp spiked on CD 16, so the ovulation was on CD 15. That second +opk really worried me though... next time I figure I should keep an extra vial in case the timing of the first IUI was too early.

I was nauseated all day yesterday, moody, and tired. I almost fell asleep in the playground while my dd was playing! Actually I started testing at 8dpo evening, but so far all bfn. I started seeing lines at 10dpo but only after 10 minutes so most likely evaporation lines. 11dpo today and this morning's tests had very very faint lines but I'm hesitant to call them bfps. They're all cheap tests...no digital ones are available here, and EPT costs $15 for 1 test. I really hope this is my month!!

I also want more than 2 kids, even though even the best supporters say 2 is enough for any single mother. I guess I'll see how things are after the second child is born. In the case I do choose to have more, I'll be over 35, so approach may be different by then. 

Would you consider other donors? 

Re crazy cycles, have you tried TCM or acupuncture? I had irregular cycles (~36-45 days) prior to my first pregnancy and was not able to conceive on timed intercourse w/ Clomid even though the doctors confirmed ovulation. I saw a TCM doctor and took herbal medicine for 2 months. By the second month, my cycle was down to 26 days and I conceived in the third and fourth month (miscarried the first). 

Congrats!! How are you feeling? Will you be going for a beta? Exciting! I remember that early pregnancy exhaustion. It's a doozy. Good luck!

I was told one kid was enough for a single parentand that two was hard. I say have as many as you want and can care for! I want three or four.

I tried acupuncture for endometriosis pain and it helped for a while. I may have to go back. My new doctor's coworker does acupuncture so I got her number. It did help my periods for sure.

I'm planning to do an HSG soon though and with that info, I'll decide what I want to do next.

Single mama by choice to sonbabyf.gif 2/2011.
I love showing my little sweetheart (now a busy preschooler!) the world!

#185 of 260 Old 04-04-2014, 06:56 PM
esg

Quote:

Esg-I have to wait 2 weeks for my U/S results :eyesroll so I won't know til then if they think the HSG is necessary or not. I hate the waiting. It's like the TWW lol

I hate the waiting too. I am so impatient when it comes to that.  I hope you get your answers. What kind of ultrasound was this?

#186 of 260 Old 04-04-2014, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

They did both types of U/S, external first then internal.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#187 of 260 Old 04-05-2014, 11:52 AM

prescottchels, I hope you get some answers soon. When do you find out whether or not the infections has cleared?

#2 due December 2014!
#188 of 260 Old 04-05-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esg View Post

Congrats!! How are you feeling? Will you be going for a beta? Exciting! I remember that early pregnancy exhaustion. It's a doozy. Good luck!

I was told one kid was enough for a single parentand that two was hard. I say have as many as you want and can care for! I want three or four.

I tried acupuncture for endometriosis pain and it helped for a while. I may have to go back. My new doctor's coworker does acupuncture so I got her number. It did help my periods for sure.

I'm planning to do an HSG soon though and with that info, I'll decide what I want to do next.

Thanks!! No beta here. The ob/gyn who did my IUI said to go in for u/s in 2.5-3 weeks. That just sounds like forever after this 2ww! I've been exhausted lately. Occasionally nauseous, even though my dr says that doesn't start till 7-8 weeks. 

I decided to go visit family for 2 weeks. I'll get some help taking care of dd and get some time and space to think about whether or not we should move closer to family.

What do you think of single parenthood so far? For me, it's been easier without the pressure of having to compromise all the time. I also want 3 or 4. I'm afraid my age will limit be there though, esp if the child spacing is 2-3 years. 

Why do you have to do an HSG? 

#2 due December 2014!
#189 of 260 Old 04-05-2014, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'm almost finished w/my first bottle of tincture and I'll have my best friend test me on her machine to see if I need to keep taking it. I don't know if the doc plans to retest me, but my bff wants me to insist that they do.... 

#190 of 260 Old 04-05-2014, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi ladies, I know it's been a few weeks but I haven't stopped reading this thread, just haven't posted in a while.  The possibility of using a known donor has come up for me and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for questions I could ask him.  I don't know him well, (friend of a friend situation,) and I'm already planning on asking these questions:

I'm not currently ready to start trying to get pregnant now, do you know if you'd still be willing to help me out in about a year?

How do I know that you won't be giving me an STD?

Do you drink, if so how much?

Drug use?  Did you used to do drugs and have been clean? if you used to use, how long have you been clean?

What is your medical history? (I'm passing on so much junk that very little could scare me but I do want to know roughly what's being passed on.)

Have you done this before, if so with how many women?

Any other question ideas?

http://makingaminimesmc.blogspot.com/  My blog!
#191 of 260 Old 04-05-2014, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I feel free!

I told XDP that I'm moving on. We're not married and haven't been a "couple" for quite awhile now. I haven't wanted to date so we were on a wait and see and let's work on co-parenting thing. We finally started counseling a couple months ago, after I begged for it while pregnant. I also wanted to co-habitate. Thankfully that never happened. So not much has changed except I could date and I don't have to consider him for another child. Anyone I might "date" knows about my SMC status. I'm so not looking to get married but might enjoy the freedom of dating a bit. Still hope XDP can hang out and do some parenting together as well as continue counseling. Anyway I feel free!
#192 of 260 Old 04-05-2014, 05:08 PM

I've got some ideas reader. I'll have to find my interviews but what comes to mind is what level of involvement is he looking for? What about his family members? How will they see it? The one question that seemed the most innocent but felt the most telling is why do you want to do this. One friend answered in a medical way well if I could donate blood etc to help a friend I would. This wasn't different for him. Another friend answered to have more happy kids in the world. Yay!
#193 of 260 Old 04-05-2014, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Readergirl-I highly recommend that you get one or both SMC books by Mikki Morrissette or Jane Mattes, you may even find them at your library. They go over all the questions to ask and provide sample contracts, etc Also I wouldn't ask Mr Donor all these questions now if you won't be ready to TTC for a year. A lot can happen in a year for both of you. Of course it can't hurt to just touch bases w/him but I wouldn't grill him just yet :thumb

FarmerMomma-Congrats on feeling free!! :joy 

#194 of 260 Old 04-05-2014, 06:03 PM
esg

Quote:

They did both types of U/S, external first then internal.

Oh okay! duh, right? Why do you have to wait for your results? I guess with my cysts and everything I'm used to hearing whats going on during or after. DEfinitely retest if you can.

#195 of 260 Old 04-05-2014, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

The U/S techs here are hush hush. They barely talk to you during the procedure, but then I've only had them for big diagnostic things never for pregnancy... I had my first U/S at a clinic that did them all the time and still had to wait a week or 2 get the results. This time it was done at my primary care physicians office but still I have to wait... it's so lame.  You should never have to wait that long for results that don't need to be cultured lol 

#196 of 260 Old 04-05-2014, 06:18 PM
esg

Quote:
Originally Posted by readergirl925 View Post

Hi ladies, I know it's been a few weeks but I haven't stopped reading this thread, just haven't posted in a while.  The possibility of using a known donor has come up for me and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for questions I could ask him.  I don't know him well, (friend of a friend situation,) and I'm already planning on asking these questions:

I'm not currently ready to start trying to get pregnant now, do you know if you'd still be willing to help me out in about a year?

Drug use?  Did you used to do drugs and have been clean? if you used to use, how long have you been clean?

What is your medical history? (I'm passing on so much junk that very little could scare me but I do want to know roughly what's being passed on.)

I would ask him what he's willing to do to help just to get a clear idea of his boundaries. I'd ask about family history for sure. I wouldn't make it optional on STD testing. I know its probably just me but I would make that something that we both would need to do to get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerMomma View Post

I feel free!

I told XDP that I'm moving on. We're not married and haven't been a "couple" for quite awhile now. I haven't wanted to date so we were on a wait and see and let's work on co-parenting thing. We finally started counseling a couple months ago, after I begged for it while pregnant. I also wanted to co-habitate. Thankfully that never happened. So not much has changed except I could date and I don't have to consider him for another child. Anyone I might "date" knows about my SMC status. I'm so not looking to get married but might enjoy the freedom of dating a bit. Still hope XDP can hang out and do some parenting together as well as continue counseling. Anyway I feel free!

Congrats on feeling free!!

Quote:

Thanks!! No beta here. The ob/gyn who did my IUI said to go in for u/s in 2.5-3 weeks. That just sounds like forever after this 2ww! I've been exhausted lately. Occasionally nauseous, even though my dr says that doesn't start till 7-8 weeks. 

I decided to go visit family for 2 weeks. I'll get some help taking care of dd and get some time and space to think about whether or not we should move closer to family.

What do you think of single parenthood so far? For me, it's been easier without the pressure of having to compromise all the time. I also want 3 or 4. I'm afraid my age will limit be there though, esp if the child spacing is 2-3 years. 

Why do you have to do an HSG? 

Nausea is a good sign. Mine started very early too so it sounds like a sticky little one in there. Maybe you'll get some space to rest too while she's being watched. I'm sure you're hoping for a healthy baby of course but are you hoping for another daughter or a son? I go back and forth.

I love single mamahood. Its been a blast and not as hard as I was told it would be. Do you find it to be easier or harder? I like being able to decide and make the choices too but that's me and just about everything anyway! I worry about how my body is doing and being able to space out children like that. I really like the space of at least 3 years. He's so helpful and capable right now. I would love to add on every three years and nine months.

I'm having either an HSG or surgery though my doctor is worried about scar tissue with surgery. I need to make sure my tubes are fine with all the pain I've been having and so it helps me to know what I can do. The surgery would include an HSG too. I'm just not sure which to have.

#197 of 260 Old 04-05-2014, 06:21 PM
esg

Quote:

The U/S techs here are hush hush. They barely talk to you during the procedure, but then I've only had them for big diagnostic things never for pregnancy... I had my first U/S at a clinic that did them all the time and still had to wait a week or 2 get the results. This time it was done at my primary care physicians office but still I have to wait... it's so lame.  You should never have to wait that long for results that don't need to be cultured lol 

That wait is ridiculous especially because it can all be seen right there! That kind of wait would kill me.

I've never been anywhere that did that. I've had quiet techs but I'm always asking questions so they don't stay too quiet for long ;)

#198 of 260 Old 04-05-2014, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

I like to ask questions and know what different things are that they see on the screen just cuz I'm a science nerd, but it's annoying cuz they won't say anything specific so I didn't even try to ask this time. 

#199 of 260 Old 04-06-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readergirl925 View Post

I agree with prescottchels' recommendations to read those books about SMC. Even though I had already decided on the donor sperm route, I found the issues the authors discussed re known donor vs anon donor vs open ID donor very helpful. Even if you and your known donor have a contract, it would not hold up in court in case he decides he wants custody, and he can change his mind at anytime. He would be considered father of the baby, not just a donor from a sperm bank. The other biggie is the STD testing, which is a must. 

I would consider asking how much involvement he wants with resulting kids, and just general aspects of his life regarding family and kids. His family may want to be involved even if he chooses not to. 

#2 due December 2014!
#200 of 260 Old 04-06-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerMomma View Post

I feel free!

Congratulations on feeling free :) How's the co-parenting going?

#2 due December 2014!
#201 of 260 Old 04-06-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Nausea is a good sign. Mine started very early too so it sounds like a sticky little one in there. Maybe you'll get some space to rest too while she's being watched. I'm sure you're hoping for a healthy baby of course but are you hoping for another daughter or a son? I go back and forth.

I love single mamahood. Its been a blast and not as hard as I was told it would be. Do you find it to be easier or harder? I like being able to decide and make the choices too but that's me and just about everything anyway! I worry about how my body is doing and being able to space out children like that. I really like the space of at least 3 years. He's so helpful and capable right now. I would love to add on every three years and nine months.

I'm having either an HSG or surgery though my doctor is worried about scar tissue with surgery. I need to make sure my tubes are fine with all the pain I've been having and so it helps me to know what I can do. The surgery would include an HSG too. I'm just not sure which to have.

I'm hoping for another daughter. With my first, my ex and my mother (traditional indian/chinese) hoped for a boy, and kept questioning the scan that determined dd was a girl until the moment she was born. I was a bit put off by their disappointment, and couldn't even answer the ob/gyn's question about whether I wanted a boy or girl! When dd was born I was so happy she was a girl. In my heart I had wanted a girl all along. I guess a small part of me feels like parenting a girl would be easier because I'm a girl, I have 3 sisters, and I have a daughter. 

So far, I'm loving being a single mother. I was doing most of the childcare anyway in my marriage; now I can do both without any pressure or compromise. It's been liberating. 

Did you plan to space out your kids 3+ years? I wanted them closer but didn't have a choice as I got my first ppaf only when dd was 28 months old. Now that I'm single, this spacing of 3+ years is much better as dd has gotten more independent in the last 6 months. 

What kind of surgery would you need? Is it necessary for conceiving?

#2 due December 2014!
#202 of 260 Old 04-06-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Wow, I'm really surprised to hear this. You can see everything on the ultrasound screen. Even for big diagnostic things, the results are usually out much faster (in serious cases, 2 weeks can kill someone!). 

#2 due December 2014!
#203 of 260 Old 04-06-2014, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

:lol thankfully, I'm not dying... And yeah even though I could see everything on the screen I have no idea what I'm looking at. An empty uterus isn't that exciting on a fuzzy black & white screen :wink 
It's kind of a podunk town here, big enough for a good size hospital, but if you go in for anything super life threatening you get flown to Phoenix....  So I don't know if it's the small town-ness or if it's an AZ thing statewide.... 1 week to go...it's crawling by...

#204 of 260 Old 04-07-2014, 08:49 AM
esg

]
Quote:

I'm hoping for another daughter. With my first, my ex and my mother (traditional indian/chinese) hoped for a boy, and kept questioning the scan that determined dd was a girl until the moment she was born. I was a bit put off by their disappointment, and couldn't even answer the ob/gyn's question about whether I wanted a boy or girl! When dd was born I was so happy she was a girl. In my heart I had wanted a girl all along. I guess a small part of me feels like parenting a girl would be easier because I'm a girl, I have 3 sisters, and I have a daughter. 

So far, I'm loving being a single mother. I was doing most of the childcare anyway in my marriage; now I can do both without any pressure or compromise. It's been liberating. 

Did you plan to space out your kids 3+ years? I wanted them closer but didn't have a choice as I got my first ppaf only when dd was 28 months old. Now that I'm single, this spacing of 3+ years is much better as dd has gotten more independent in the last 6 months. 

What kind of surgery would you need? Is it necessary for conceiving?

How sad that they were disappointed. They were happy when she was born though, right?
I thought the same when it came to having a boy cause my family mostly has girls but its been pretty easy. Compared to little girls I've helped to raise, he's right up there with the attitude though!
Having two sisters though, its definitely nice to have someone who has been through the same things, can talk about silly girly things.

I don't think I ever wanted them spread out so far but now that he's older, I think it would be better this way. I started wanting a second when he was around a year old but I was dealing with too much Endometriosis crud at the time so I just waited. I think had I not had any issues I would have started trying sooner. I started my first period at 8 months pp :/ I was so bummed. I don't know if I'll do three years between if I'm lucky to even try again.

They are getting to be so independent now, right? That's the fun part about three. They talk well enough and can do so much. It's so fun.

The surgery is exploratory. I don't have to have it and my current doctor doesn't like the idea of scar tissue but I want it done so I can see if Endometriosis is there and minor or extensive, check how my tubes, ovaries and uterus are doing. Its out-patient so not anything too major. Would only take a couple hours at most. It would put my mind at ease and that's mostly what I want. My former doctor said to try a few times beforehand but my donor doesn't have any IUI/ICI vials anyway so I'd rather have the surgery then figure out what I need to do as far as donors and another baby goes.

#205 of 260 Old 04-09-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:

]
How sad that they were disappointed. They were happy when she was born though, right?
I thought the same when it came to having a boy cause my family mostly has girls but its been pretty easy. Compared to little girls I've helped to raise, he's right up there with the attitude though!
Having two sisters though, its definitely nice to have someone who has been through the same things, can talk about silly girly things.

I don't think I ever wanted them spread out so far but now that he's older, I think it would be better this way. I started wanting a second when he was around a year old but I was dealing with too much Endometriosis crud at the time so I just waited. I think had I not had any issues I would have started trying sooner. I started my first period at 8 months pp :/ I was so bummed. I don't know if I'll do three years between if I'm lucky to even try again.

They are getting to be so independent now, right? That's the fun part about three. They talk well enough and can do so much. It's so fun.

The surgery is exploratory. I don't have to have it and my current doctor doesn't like the idea of scar tissue but I want it done so I can see if Endometriosis is there and minor or extensive, check how my tubes, ovaries and uterus are doing. Its out-patient so not anything too major. Would only take a couple hours at most. It would put my mind at ease and that's mostly what I want. My former doctor said to try a few times beforehand but my donor doesn't have any IUI/ICI vials anyway so I'd rather have the surgery then figure out what I need to do as far as donors and another baby goes.

My family turned around pretty quickly after my dd was born. Hoping the same happens for #2. I haven't figured out how to break the news to my parents. The concepts of SMC and DI is completely foreign to them. 

Wow, your cycle started so soon! How did you find out about endometriosis? I also starting wanting a second baby when dd was around 12 months.. but I didn't have periods yet.

The surgery sounds like it would give you a lot of information. If you don't do the surgery, does your dr have any ideas how to regulate your cycle for conceiving? 

#2 due December 2014!
#206 of 260 Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:

:lol thankfully, I'm not dying... And yeah even though I could see everything on the screen I have no idea what I'm looking at. An empty uterus isn't that exciting on a fuzzy black & white screen :wink 
It's kind of a podunk town here, big enough for a good size hospital, but if you go in for anything super life threatening you get flown to Phoenix....  So I don't know if it's the small town-ness or if it's an AZ thing statewide.... 1 week to go...it's crawling by...

I've had u/s done on various points of my cycle during fertility testing, each time looking for different things, like follicles, abnormal growths or scarring, etc. I hope you get some answers soon! Waiting makes time go so slowly..... 

#2 due December 2014!
#207 of 260 Old 04-09-2014, 02:06 PM
esg

Quote:

" src="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/lol.gif" /> thankfully, I'm not dying... And yeah even though I could see everything on the screen I have no idea what I'm looking at. An empty uterus isn't that exciting on a fuzzy black & white screen " src="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/winky.gif" /> 

You're almost done!
How do you get your results? They call you?

#208 of 260 Old 04-09-2014, 02:17 PM
esg

Quote:

My family turned around pretty quickly after my dd was born. Hoping the same happens for #2. I haven't figured out how to break the news to my parents. The concepts of SMC and DI is completely foreign to them. 

Wow, your cycle started so soon! How did you find out about endometriosis? I also starting wanting a second baby when dd was around 12 months.. but I didn't have periods yet.

The surgery sounds like it would give you a lot of information. If you don't do the surgery, does your dr have any ideas how to regulate your cycle for conceiving? 

That's what I figured - that they would be happy afterwards but that sucks to have to deal with it while pregnant. I have no idea how to do that even after doing it. It helped that I was newly pregnant when the movie the Backup Plan was just out so my family watched that during a holiday and all I had to do was say yes, that's kind of how it goes! Good luck. Are you going to tell them when you're out there?

My cycle started very soon after him. I was hoping it wouldn't but no luck. Do you think you're going to have another after this little one? As for the Endo, I've always had really bad period pain and then it became daily pain but since its worse with my periods, that was the conclusion that my first doctor went to. Surgery would confirm it. I got pregnant last time I planned surgery though so I'm hoping to go there this time.

I have an appointment with an RE tomorrow afternoon to figure out what to do next. My period seems like it tried to start itself yesterday on CD23 but didn't. I had all the cramping and everything but no bleeding. My doctor doesn't think anything of it. I'm freaked. My periods were down to one to two days long the last two months so I'm worried I'm down to nothing. I'm crossing my fingers that I'm heading back to 30 cycle days instead of zero and that I'm just adjusting. I have no idea what they would about it. 

#209 of 260 Old 04-09-2014, 04:29 PM

Congratulations on feeling free smile.gif How's the co-parenting going?
[/quote]

Sigh. Not terrible. Child support has been consistent. The other help not so much. Seems like every time I put some distance between SO and me Then he tries harder. He never knows what he has till it's gone. At this rate when l marry another he'll be the perfect partner. Lots of talk about lifestyle changes, little action. He has an expensive car he can't seem to part with and not much extra money. After my last moving on talk, Now he's considering moving closer. Still it would be nice for the babe and me. But I'll believe it when I see it.
#210 of 260 Old 04-09-2014, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

I wish they would just call and if they still wanted me to come in do that, but I go in to the office on Monday morn-right before I have to prep & pack food for 25 people for a 4 day catering event off site at a ranch so I hope I'm not freaking out lol cuz I got a lot of sh*t to do that day and no time for melt downs.

FarmerMomma-your ex sounds like my friend's baby daddy lol he's all talk and no action. It makes me crazy that she keeps trying to set boundaries with him and then he charms her out of them and then she gets disappointed because he won't follow through... I hope that's not what's going on for you! At least you get child support...she's not even getting that yet and babe is 16 mon now...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page