Nesting arrangements? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-25-2013, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

wave.gif

We have made the decision to split and plan to start a nesting arrangement soon while we hammer out all the divorce details.  It makes a lot of sense to keep the kids here, with each of us rotating out.  Our kids are 9 (grade 4), 11 (grade 6) and 13 (grade 8). We also have 3 cats and a dog.  I have been a full-time SAHM since Fall 2011 (but have taught 5-6 yoga classes per week for the past 5 years).  We've lived in this neighborhood since 2004.

We have agreed on the following details:

He is here every Monday and Tuesday.

I am here every Wednesday and Thursday.  

We switch out alternate Fri-Sun.

Your day ends the following morning after getting kids off to school.  The other parent is responsible for after school that day. So for example Monday and Tuesday means I will arrive here after work that day, and stay until the kids are off to school on Wednesday morning.  You are responsible for any appointments (haircuts, dentist) that fall on your day.  You are responsible if someone is sick on your day, or needs something at school.  Same for extra-curriculars and sports and bday parties.  

We are relatively amicable, and it's in both of our best interests (not to mention the kids) to wait a while to list the house for sale.  Ideally, the timing will work out that the kids live here for the entire school year, and we'll move next summer.  This gives us time to do some painting and organizing and downsizing.  

The plan is that we stay with friends on our off time to avoid additional housing costs.  I have a feeling STBX will want to rent his own place at some point, and I may too, but at least for the short run we are going to try this.  It is also possible (with notice) that one of us could come here on our off day late at night to sleep.

We have a large home with a finished walk-out basement that has a bedroom and bathroom.  STBX has already been sleeping down there for several weeks.  Once we tell the kids and start the arrangement he'll move his clothes and toiletries down there.  

I am very optimistic that this will all work except for the housekeeping, cooking and grocery shopping.  

Does anyone have any experience??

namaste.gif

#2 of 4 Old 08-25-2013, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't, but I like the idea of this kind of arrangement. 

#3 of 4 Old 08-26-2013, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I like you would have a private space in the home. I guess for groceries and cleaning you just need to set up some clear systems that are easy to monitor with invoices etc.
#4 of 4 Old 08-27-2013, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Maybe something like you clean on your days... must clean the kitchen, bath before leaving and every sunday must clean living areas of house.  kids are responsbile for own rooms.?

what you use , you replace. ( dont leave 2 drops of milk in the fridge or 1 roll of TP for a family of 4)

Whatever you do I would put it all down in writing.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page