When (or if) to tell ex about new partner - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-18-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Background: My ex and I split up 3 years ago, well before I had DD, and we set up custody/parenting plan/etc a few months after she was born. I have sole custody and sole parenting time, although we've since added 5 hour visits every other week informally, without changing the formal custody papers.

Now: DD is almost 2.5, and I've been dating someone for a bit. It's not serious yet (he and I are both being cautious about jumping into commitment, which is nice), but the possibility is there, and we have brought up hypotheticals for the relationship. So my question is: at what point, if any, do I need to let my ex know? Maybe at the point of marriage (which is hypothetical at this point, of course)? 

I would rather just not tell my ex at all, even after marriage. When I was pregnant, he got very upset and controlling/verbally abusive over the idea of me dating or having sex with anyone else. From the time of the breakup 3 years ago to now, my ex has been uncomfortably open with me about his relationship updates with dating, then engagement and marriage. And to a degree, a new partner now doesn't feel like it's his business, assuming that DD is safe.  I'm also still a bit afraid that he will become upset and controlling again if he knows I'm involved with someone.

Other possibly useful information: because my new partner started out as a platonic friend, DD already knows him, and that hasn't changed since he and I started dating.  She does interact with him and calls him a friend. He is safe, reliable, and DD likes him.

#2 of 3 Old 12-18-2013, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

If you've got sole custody, I'd probably wait until a marriage is planned and tell him simply as a courtesy that some life change is happening. And maybe if you move in w/ your sweetie before marriage, it would be considerate of you to inform your ex of the change in his child's living situation

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#3 of 3 Old 12-18-2013, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Agreed, in your situation, I would probably wait to make a formal "announcement" until you move in together or get engaged, whichever comes first. 

Your ex may suspect a serious relationship if your dd talks a lot about your bf during visits, which she will likely do if they are spending considerable time together (dd and your bf, I mean).  If he asks, I think it's a good idea to tell the truth, but I don't since you have sole custody, I don't think you need to offer up the information until it has a serious impact on dd's life. 

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page