Newbie here - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-06-2001, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I'm a newbie here... I found my first Mothering magazine at the best, local natural store around Pierce County, Washington.

I'm currently a single mom to my wonderful 18 mo. old baby, Marshall. He is such a sweetie pie but as Dr. Sears defines it a "high needs child." He is constantly a challenge. So smart, though. I'm sure most of us think our kids are smart though. Right? Well, he is my life line. The only way I can think of to describe how it feels to be his mother is that I was always a mother, I just finally got the baby I always knew I wanted. Corny huh? teeheehee. He is still nursing quite frequently actually. IT sure weirds out my ex and his family.. LOL Oh well.. whatever. They're not too keen on my co-sleeping either. Again, whatever.

Well, I was employed up until November 6th. Not my fault. Friend turned supervisor got high and mighty (before she even started she *told* me I was going to give her problems). But that is neither here nor there.. Fact is for the first time since I was 16 I don't have a job (cept when I went to school). I'd be alright but unemployment is giving me the run-around.. On the side I'm making soap (very fun hobby) for some extra cash. Just starting out with it but its going okay. I found a receipe that works very well for me (just need to find an oil for a harder bar other than olive - I think it smells funny).

Well, I've really rambled on, haven't I? Heh. Well, I guess I was just hoping to find some people on this board I can relate to. Its like when I had my son all of my crunchy tendancies were intensified. KWIM?

Well, I look forward to talking with you all..

-=Johanna=-
  Mom to Marshall (06/00), wife to Brett, welcoming the new little one August 2014! joy.gif
#2 of 3 Old 12-06-2001, 02:40 PM

Hey there Johanna,

Welcome to Mothering!

I love your comment about "feeling like a mother and finally getting the baby" - that's how I feel, too. I'm currently ttc (as a single lesbian mama-wanna-be) and 'waiting' for my kid to make his apprearance.

Sorry to hear about the unemployment. That's tough! If they are giving you a problem about how you departed from your last paid position (ie quit or let go) consider find a day hire position - and then you WILL be let go, so you can get unemployment.

I'm a new soaper, too! I'm making soaps as a small side business this holiday season and just having a blast. I LOVE making soap. I used one of my favorites this morning in MY shower...yum, I can still smell the lingering faint scent of cinnamon.
What companies are you getting your supplies from? I seem to be using mostly www.soapcrafters.com for my soap bases & colorants/additives and www.sweetcakes.com for my fragrance oils. Have you gotten a business license yet? I'd love to talk soap with you and trade some recipes some time!

Marshall sounds like a wonderful kid! Welcome again!

Madison
#3 of 3 Old 12-07-2001, 02:48 AM

HI! I have a high needs baby too!!!! Well, she's 2 years old, not really a baby anymore! The most difficult thing right now is that people who didn't know her as a baby/infant don't have a clue what I went through the first two years of her life!!!!! I have to tell you, even though it is totally cliche, it gets easier! My dd is easier ti discipline cuz she is so bright and sensitive! Plus with all of the Ap I have done, she and I know eachother inside and out. I can just look at her sometimes, and she knows to stop whatever it is.
I feel like I can't relate to any other parents. My dd never slept! There have never been long nap times for me to get housework done! She still naps only on me and still nurses like crazy!
Anyway, I am a full time student at UCSB, thank goodness I don't have to work right now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page