Mothering Forum banner

Parenting plan with kids living in one home only

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Boodah'smama 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new here and have really appreciated reading past posts so far. I need some advice. My ex and I have been separated for 3 years now and are going to formalize in divorce soon. Both our kids have special needs (learning disabilities) and my ex has some personal/mental challenges too so we decided early on to not shuffle the kids back and forth. He sees them 4 times a week, but most parenting happens at my house or out and about. He and I are good friends and the kids have flourished with this arrangement. My question is: does anyone know how to explain this arrangement to a judge? I've been told its unusual and that to document such little time for the father would imply I'm coercing him into and/or that such a parenting plan would only be acceptable if this were a case of abuse, etc... Is that true? My ex wants this arrangement as much as I do. He loves being a dad, but he doesn't want all the nut and bolts of parenting, he can't handle it and he feels better this way. THANKS for any and all advice. :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.